Anyone try new Spalding HiRez download HD Tracks??

Nick77

Anyone try new Spalding HiRez download HD Tracks??
« on: 26 Apr 2012, 08:51 pm »
Anyone try the new Esperanza Spalding download on HD Tracks?

I cheaped out and got the cd off fleabay, the cd recording is really bad.  :cry:

firedog

Re: Anyone try new Spalding HiRez download HD Tracks??
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2012, 05:38 am »
Yes, I have it and think it sounds fine. Haven't heard the CD, so I can't compare. For you it might be a hi-res version of the sound you didn't like on the CD. Don't know.

There are a few comments on it at computeraudiophile.com What didn't you like about the CD?

Nick77

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2012, 10:20 am »
Yes, I have it and think it sounds fine. Haven't heard the CD, so I can't compare. For you it might be a hi-res version of the sound you didn't like on the CD. Don't know.

There are a few comments on it at computeraudiophile.com What didn't you like about the CD?

Firedog, thanks for the reply. Its possible you may be right about a hirez version of the same. I felt it was a really bad mix, the vocals are forefront almost bright but crystal clear and the instruments are in the background all compressed. Drums sound recessed and bloated like a tipical bad recording. I will add it to my collection of unlistenable's.  :duh:

Ahhh seems not all crazy with HD version as well....

I recently got burned on Esperanza Spalding's latest; a big let down in terms of SQ and the plot seemed to show some serious filtering.                                               
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2012, 11:30 am by Nick77 »

firedog

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2012, 04:05 pm »
Well I agree the vocals are up front, I certainly wouldn't call it a bad recording. But if you thought the CD was unlistenable, I wouldn't buy the DL.

The "serious filtering" is a typical comment by people who take 5 seconds to make a spectrum plot with Audacity. Do such posters have any idea what they are looking at? Do they hear anything when they listen that sounds like "serious filtering" or would they know it if they heard it? Doubtful.