Are Vinyl Folks Just HiRez Wannabies?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Are Vinyl Folks Just HiRez Wannabies?
« on: 8 Dec 2011, 05:16 am »
You guys keep going buying more crazy turntables and arms, spending all your time cleaning (hope your grooves don't wear out) all in the hopes for superior sound. can't blame you for that, but aren't you just really trying to duplicate the sound of Hirez, in the vinyl format?

Why not just come on over? No more worries about clicks, pops, physical wear, or when the next vinyl record will come out.

The highest resolution is already waiting for you! It's the great new hirez bitstream and it's got more information in them ones and zeros then your tiny grooves will ever have. There will be never enough for you. Give it up! I think this is where you really want to be, but won't admit it!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=97744.0
« Last Edit: 8 Dec 2011, 07:22 am by Tyson »

JohnR

Re: Are Vinly Folks Just HiRez Wannabies?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2011, 07:04 am »
Shoot. Where does that leave people like me who haven't managed to make the grade into either camp?!  :lol:  :green:

Tyson

Re: Are Vinyl Folks Just HiRez Wannabies?
« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2011, 07:22 am »
miniDSP is hirez capable - just get some hirez files!

Pez

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2011, 08:32 am »
Proof positive as to why audiophilia is a loner's pursuit. We're all just a bunch of opinionated pricks with a chip on our shoulder.

I still love you Tyson and I also acknowledge that you're an asshole.

rbbert

« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2011, 02:38 pm »
Don't forget that other topic was closed because the hires wannabies (oops, I mean vinyl fanatics) couldn't manage a civil discourse    :icon_lol:

bunnyma357

Re: Are Vinly Folks Just HiRez Wannabies?
« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2011, 03:40 pm »
Shoot. Where does that leave people like me who haven't managed to make the grade into either camp?!  :lol:  :green:

I think that makes you a Wannabe wannabe.

Jim C

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2011, 05:14 pm »
I love it! Ted B now has the hot potato!!  :lol:

Ohhhh Tyson....stirring the pot again :thumb:

*Scotty*

« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2011, 05:24 pm »
Get thee behind me, Tyson.
I'll admit I am interested in playing back 24/96 and 24/192 wave files but I am waiting for a wider selection of music to be available and I have to settle on an affordable Linux compatible asynchronous USB capable DAC.
 I think the thing to remember about audio playback is that it is a moving target. What is considered to be the best today will merely be good tomorrow. That why I just can't get too emotionally excited about a given playback technology that will be cast aside when something better come along tomorrow.
As far as vinyl is concerned it is a completely different state of play relative to listening to music via my computer. Vinyl requires a constant involvement with the mechanical processes required to listen to a record. My table is completely manual and I have to be damned sure I am in the room at the end of the record. I love the sound but it registers low on convenience scale. At top the my current to do list, is baking the desccicant used to dry the air feeding my turntable's tonearm and platter air-bearings.
 You just don't have this type of mechanical maintenance to do on a computer based system. Thankfully we have moved beyond Babbage engines.
John,at least the computer side of things will be cheaper and better tomorrow. I say there is no harm in waiting for cheaper accommodations on the Hi-Rez train.
Scotty

Mike Nomad

« Reply #8 on: 8 Dec 2011, 06:16 pm »
~
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2014, 09:25 pm by Mike Nomad »

audiobat

« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2011, 06:39 pm »
If high resolution is your bag then have fun, each to his own that's why it's a hobby.
If your ears are tuned to digital fantastic, however I can tell "any" digital in an instant.
I have had dealers try to sell me the best high resolution digital they could muster, but I don't like it.
The very best of it (to my ear) is two dimensional and has a tendency to hurt my ears after a while. Not what I choose to listen to when looking for my "audiophile experience".
My money will go to analog and I'll be happier for it.
Pops and clicks...? you're doing it wrong.

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2011, 08:08 pm »
Me as well. Always feel like something is missing when I listen to digital. Similar to the feeling I get when eating a fat free cookie or a baked potato chip...just not the same.

BobRex

« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2011, 09:20 pm »
Of the not that many HiRez releases, how many came from true HiRez sources?  How many of them are recordings older than last week? (Okay, I'm exaggerating for affect, but you get my point)

On the other hand, how many releases are available on vinyl at a resolution level equal to HIRez?  And how much more information can be extracted from those grooves with further improvement in equipment?

Besides, didn't the "experts" decide years ago that Red Book was all that was necessary?  (totally rhetorical - don't try to argue, I already know the argument...)

Pez

« Reply #12 on: 8 Dec 2011, 09:47 pm »
So your argument is people were wrong before, so they must be wrong now? Redbook was/is seriously flawed as a format for a multitude of reasons, but that sure as hell didn't stop the industry from adopting even worse formats like AAC and MP3. But lets face it most new formats aren't about being 'better' in regards to performance. They are 'better' in regards to conviniance. CDs were a lot cheaper that tapes to manufacture and WAY cheaper than vinyl. Plus you could conceivably carry 24 discs in one of those pouches with you anywhere. Vinyl, tapes... Not so much. So in essence the argument that cds were about fidelity is a lie on its face. They were never about fidelity, they were about NEW and IMPROVED and SMALLER just like AAC and other super compressed formats that sound terrible.

People who actually care about the way their music sounds to a high enough degree to worry about vinyl and hi rez are few and far between. Hipster types only care about vinyl because they're pretentious college kids who think they know something about fidelity, but when it comes down to it they're hooking their technics turntable up to their boombox type systems. Outside of them it's the lone audiophile who cares about the way things sound.

Hi rez IS superior when it comes to specs no doubt about it, but I have heard plenty of vinyl setup that made me say 'HOLY SHIT' to know the folly of stating one is superior to another in the real world. Any way I said it in the other thread and I'll say it here anyone (Tyson included) who says Hi rez is superior to vinyl or vis versa has their head squarly up their ass. That pretty much covers 90% of the posters here.  :o

Mike Nomad

« Reply #13 on: 8 Dec 2011, 09:52 pm »
~
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2014, 09:26 pm by Mike Nomad »

Freo-1

« Reply #14 on: 8 Dec 2011, 10:00 pm »
So your argument is people were wrong before, so they must be wrong now? Redbook was/is seriously flawed as a format for a multitude of reasons, but that sure as hell didn't stop the industry from adopting even worse formats like AAC and MP3. But lets face it most new formats aren't about being 'better' in regards to performance. They are 'better' in regards to conviniance. CDs were a lot cheaper that tapes to manufacture and WAY cheaper than vinyl. Plus you could conceivably carry 24 discs in one of those pouches with you anywhere. Vinyl, tapes... Not so much. So in essence the argument that cds were about fidelity is a lie on its face. They were never about fidelity, they were about NEW and IMPROVED and SMALLER just like AAC and other super compressed formats that sound terrible.

People who actually care about the way their music sounds to a high enough degree to worry about vinyl and hi rez are few and far between. Hipster types only care about vinyl because they're pretentious college kids who think they know something about fidelity, but when it comes down to it they're hooking their technics turntable up to their boombox type systems. Outside of them it's the lone audiophile who cares about the way things sound.

Hi rez IS superior when it comes to specs no doubt about it, but I have heard plenty of vinyl setup that made me say 'HOLY SHIT' to know the folly of stating one is superior to another in the real world. Any way I said it in the other thread and I'll say it here anyone (Tyson included) who says Hi rez is superior to vinyl or vis versa has their head squarly up their ass. That pretty much covers 90% of the posters here.  :o

So, 90% has their head planted elsewhere than on their shoulders.  Nonsense.

Perhaps it is you who needs to clear your head, not the 90%.  You need to think a bit before you type such tripe.

Pez

« Reply #15 on: 8 Dec 2011, 10:10 pm »
Nope, so many people choosing sides one way or the other when we all really just enjoy music? Absurdity. And everyone has some half baked logic as to why they've chosen the winning side. Seems pretty stupid to me.

I'd say this intentional splintering shows that most people are missing the point.  :o

Tyson

« Reply #16 on: 8 Dec 2011, 10:16 pm »
My original post was just a copy/paste of Wayner's post in the Vinyl Circle, just with the Vinyl and hirez positions reversed (if anyone bothered to read the link I attached).  It was a joke.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #17 on: 8 Dec 2011, 10:17 pm »

In all fairness, I've heard some RB setups that sounded really good too ( standard caveats re: decent source material properly mastered etc.) but they involved digital players that appeal to a fairly select segment of the market due to price as part of a well-sorted system.

I guess the best thing about the continuing existence of RB is that it provides common ground for both the hi-rez and vinyl camps: a third group that you can aim condescending and tiresome comments at for your mutual amusement. A welcome break from bashing each other, I'd think. Enjoy!

Say what you will about RB, it does offer the listener a chance to enjoy a much wider selection of music. That's the big hang-up for me - if going to one of the "sonically superior" formats means the biggest thing I've got to look forward to musically is the umpteenth rehash of Rumours or the like, I'll stick with what I've got.
I'm a bad audiophile...

D.D.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #18 on: 8 Dec 2011, 10:19 pm »
My original post was just a copy/paste of Wayner's post in the Vinyl Circle, just with the Vinyl and hirez positions reversed (if anyone bothered to read the link I attached).  It was a joke.

Tyson , I got it and Pez I agree wholeheartedly!
Mark

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #19 on: 8 Dec 2011, 10:35 pm »
Does anyone have percentage breakdowns by format, for new releases?

Loved the joke, by the way, and noticed when I read the link OP.