Cassette tape comeback ?

Guy 13

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Cassette tape comeback ?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2016, 01:42 am »
I would like to see them come back as they can sound surprisingly good. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2016, 01:56 am »
Still have a couple hundred (self recorded), just have to get one of my players working. My HK 392 worked fine when last used 5 years ago, but seems something went out in the interim. Will probably get my Nak 581 working 1st. Hard to beat good analog sound in any format, imo.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2016, 03:00 am »
"No".

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2016, 03:26 am »
"No".

"YES."

And sales of old cars with built-in cassette players will go through the roof.  Think of the money you could earn, Bob, buying old junkers from your South County neighbors and putting new belts and LED lights in.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2016, 03:27 am »
No.....Just, no.

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2016, 03:42 am »
Screw cassettes. I'm waiting for these to come back:

SlushPuppy

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2016, 04:08 am »
Talk about timing! I heard a song on the radio today by a band called "Jade TV". I looked them up when I got home and found out the only formats I could buy the album on was MP3/FLAC or cassette. Clear cassette only - the limited edition translucent green ones were already sold out  :lol:

https://jurassicpop.bandcamp.com/album/parallel-moments

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2016, 04:16 am »
I just sold my LD players and have a cassette deck sitting in the garage waiting to be hooked up (seriously).  Just finished reshuffling the furniture for the 4k TV coming tomorrow and it was on my agenda.  I have a few store bought ones and probably about 40 audiophile albums (when I had a turntable) I recorded on the first or second play.  Not that I'd use it tons.  I had it hooked up in my old house in the basement and probably last listened to one 5-6 years back.  I figured with the empty space in the rack it is better to have the cassette there than in the garage.  I'll probably get to it and play a couple of that will be it for a few years.  The system I'm putting it in is more of a HT with a Sherbourn preamp with HT Bypass and an Emotiva amp for the front two channels.  I have a Carver Sonic Hologram generator in there too and it is on my agenda to make a CD of some demo tracks.  It is all for fun.  When I have the Space Coast Audio Society over my place once every 8 months, give or take, generally the main system and one back-up system gets used and then I have the other system available for something fun and not quite as serious like multi-channel DSD files on a hard drive attached to an Oppo 103D or Dolby Atmos.

Got rid of the 8 tracks a long time ago.

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2016, 09:12 pm »
Remember the inopportune interruptions in the music on 8-tracks-- like right at the peak moment of the sax solo on Pink  Floyd's 'Money"? Plus they were seen worse about jamming than cassettes.

Back to the OT though, I need to get my hands on a cassette deck to digitize about half a dozen tapes. Don't feel like buying one even at pawnshop prices for that small a number of tapes.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2016, 10:54 pm »
Remember the inopportune interruptions in the music on 8-tracks-- like right at the peak moment of the sax solo on Pink  Floyd's 'Money"? Plus they were seen worse about jamming than cassettes.

Back to the OT though, I need to get my hands on a cassette deck to digitize about half a dozen tapes. Don't feel like buying one even at pawnshop prices for that small a number of tapes.

Tie Me To A Whipping Post by the Allman Brothers.   A friend had purchased the 8 track ( copy as all you had to do was by the blank and they would make you a copy at the store).  That was the first time I heard a 8 track and never wanted to see another.

Question for 10 points.  Who invented the Cassette Deck??

Answer ( I think to the best of my limited ability)  Bill Lear the founder of Lear Jet

dflee

« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2016, 11:07 pm »
Wikopedia says it was Lou Otten working at Phillips in 62.

dynaflo

« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2016, 11:44 pm »
Tie Me To A Whipping Post by the Allman Brothers.   A friend had purchased the 8 track ( copy as all you had to do was by the blank and they would make you a copy at the store).  That was the first time I heard a 8 track and never wanted to see another.

Question for 10 points.  Who invented the Cassette Deck??

Answer ( I think to the best of my limited ability)  Bill Lear the founder of Lear Jeth

Don't know who invented the 8 track but sure remember wanting a Lear  deck in the late 60's.

aldcoll

« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2016, 11:56 pm »
I was attempting  to use my gray matter for something besides what's that tune?  :scratch:

And as I recall the Lear deck was the one to have.  That is until late the Craig Power Play came along with 8 watts or there about.

dB Cooper

« Reply #14 on: 23 Feb 2016, 11:59 pm »
Close, dynaflo... The 8 track did in fact originate at Lear IIRC. "8-Track" (I think the official format name was "Stereo *8") vs "Compact Cassette" was one of the early "format wars" of the home electronics era.

aldcoll

« Reply #15 on: 24 Feb 2016, 12:01 am »
For the record.  From Funk and Wagnels
Lear sold his shares and founded Lear Jet Industries in 1962. This venture was successful, mass producing an aircraft in 1963, and Bill Lear exited this business in 1969 to form Lear Motors, Inc., a less successful enterprise. Among his other inventions are included the eight-track tape player.

hi5harry

« Reply #16 on: 24 Feb 2016, 12:14 am »
That's it Arthur! Back then you had to put " party tape" songs in the order to set the mood. We all worked hard as jr. D J.'s to make a playlist fit  the situation, sweating out each tick , pop, and bad needle drop that came with it. They are a trip down memory lane and probably perfect for a second system or a garage system.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #17 on: 24 Feb 2016, 12:55 am »
My buddy and I were hitchhiking out of Richmond to go backpacking in the Blue Ridge. We were standing in rain and nobody was stopping. Finally a truck screeches to a halt and we throw our packs in the back and jump in. The cab was filled with pot smoke and the guy was blasting his eight track of CCR's Green River and then started driving very fast while talking a mile a minute. The tape had bleed thru with Side A playing over Side B and both sides playing simultaneously, very loudly. Well, my buddy and I got the giggles and the driver got pissed thinking, I guess, that we were laughing at him. I explained that  it was because both sides of the tape were playing together. And he looked at me and said, "no they're not, what the hell are you talking about". When be burst out laughing he pulled over and told us to get the hell out, which we did. He flipped us off as he roared away.

Guy 13

« Reply #18 on: 24 Feb 2016, 01:09 am »

Hi dB Cooper,
I want to do the same thing,
digitize my C90 cassettes (About 10) and the only tape deck I have now
is a Nakamichi BX100 that need a good tune-up, but to send it to the USA
is expensive in labor and transport.
I saw a Panasonic (Look like new) for 12CND$ at Village des Valeurs
but i waited and two days later it was gone.
I keep looking, because my budget is maximum 25 CND$,
like I said, I only have 10 cassettes to digitize.

Guy 13

Phil A

« Reply #19 on: 24 Feb 2016, 01:38 am »
Wikopedia says it was Lou Otten working at Phillips in 62.
I know it was Phillips as I use to have a Nakamichi 680 which had a half speed feature and sounded better than some decks at full speed.  Phillips sued Nakamichi as the half speed infringed on their patent. When I left NJ for VA at the end of 1996 the deck needed a minor tune up and I really was using cassettes much and I gave it to a guy who worked at the stereo store who was always helpful to me.  I have a cheapie Onkyo in the garage (which I'll get out as the temperature in there can't do much good on the rubber parts) and I'll plug it into a spare system just to see if it works for kicks.