Electronic room correction with Salks

fsimms

Re: Electronic room correction with Salks
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jan 2007, 02:26 am »
See above example, the top two curves are the left/right microphone measurement of my room response. The big dip is room mode and cannot be tamed.

I see your measured curves only have a small bump in the base and doesn't have the "large room" drop in the treble.  I guess that is because your room is so small and has a lot of sound deading materials.

The bottom curve is my target curve.

Since your chair is so near your speakers, this curve would put you on the stage with the performers just in front of you. 
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2007, 03:00 am by fsimms »

fsimms

« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2007, 05:31 am »
This is the chart of the in room response of my Salk HT1s.  The wavy two curves are the left and right speakers measured at my chair.

The bottom curve is the target curve.  As you can see it drops off in the treble just like the measured response does. 

There is a dip near 1.7kHz.   I don't know why my HT1s have this dip and Barry's HT3s don't have that dip.

95bcwh

« Reply #22 on: 31 Jan 2007, 06:24 am »
Bob,
  I suggest you shift the target curve down so that it's entirely under the measurement curves. The way it is now, you may over-drive your amp because it tries to boost up some of your big dips.

barry

fsimms

« Reply #23 on: 31 Jan 2007, 06:36 am »
Bob,
  I suggest you shift the target curve down so that it's entirely under the measurement curves. The way it is now, you may over-drive your amp because it tries to boost up some of your big dips.

I did that on 3 of my presets.  This is just one that I haven't done that yet.  I think that 3 db of drop below the target curve would not risk too much of a problem, but I could be wrong.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #24 on: 31 Jan 2007, 02:19 pm »

There is a dip near 1.7kHz.   I don't know why my HT1s have this dip and Barry's HT3s don't have that dip.
[/quote]

The dip shouldn't be there, and I can't figure out how it got there.  The HT1 crossover is at about 2.5 kHz.  There would be a big dip there if the tweeters were wired with the wrong polarity.  But there's nothing going on in the crossover that could cause a 1.7 kHz dip.  I guess there could be a wiring error, but it would have to be identical in both speakers, and even then the response at the crossover point would not be as smooth as it is.  Did you hear a problem before you did the correction?  Where do you live?

ctviggen

« Reply #25 on: 31 Jan 2007, 02:31 pm »
Are you sure it's not a room problem?  Try a different location.  The wavelength is about (1087ft/s)/(1700/s) = 0.64 feet (approx, at sea level, dry air), so try moving 6 inches or so.  Also, try moving your chair/couch/whatever away from your sitting location.

fsimms

« Reply #26 on: 31 Jan 2007, 02:36 pm »
The dip shouldn't be there, and I can't figure out how it got there.  The HT1 crossover is at about 2.5 kHz.  There would be a big dip there if the tweeters were wired with the wrong polarity.  But there's nothing going on in the crossover that could cause a 1.7 kHz dip.  I guess there could be a wiring error, but it would have to be identical in both speakers, and even then the response at the crossover point would not be as smooth as it is.  Did you hear a problem before you did the correction?  Where do you live?

I didn't notice the dip before, but I am not a critical listener.  I live in Houston.