DSP X over experience w/either Mini DSP HD or Dayton 408 for open baffle 2/3 way

Bob Johnson

Anyone have experience using a DSP based crossover - either the mini DSP HD 2x4 or the Dayton 408?   

In a few threads I have found  it seems like the Mini DSP HD is the overall winner.  It seems to have more wide ranging industry support and visibility. 

Thinking about this for a open baffle project.   I would like to support 3 channels of amplification that wont work with the mini DSP HD.

Maybe I can do 2 amps with 1 output to LF and 1 to mid+highs with a passive X over - if the HF is very high - say over 5K  as most likely I will try a full range driver for mid/high.   Anyone tried anything like this?   Opinions?

It seems that OB woofers should be crossed over at less than 1K. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
I ran the mini DSP HD 2x4 for a long time.  It's got 4 outputs per channel, so a 3 way crossover is no problem. 

Before we get to the drivers, do you have a way to measure the speakers output?  That's going to help you far more than looking at the printed parameters (which are often wrong, sometimes by a lot).  Best thing to do is get the drivers you want, mount them in the baffle you want and then measure them. 

Are you planning to use the miniDSP as the crossover design testbed, and then move on to passive parts once you have dialed in a good crossover point?  That's what I'd recommend.  IME good quality passive parts always sound better than leaving it fully active.