BDP-3 functionality with PSAudio Direct Stream DAC

Socal77

BDP-3 functionality with PSAudio Direct Stream DAC
« on: 18 Feb 2020, 10:47 pm »
Question for BDP-3 users that also own PSAudio DACs.  Apparently there is problem with the BDP-2 IAU and the DirectStream playing 192kHz.24-bit files via S/PDIF or AES/EBU.  I am a BDP-1 and DirectStream owner and was leaning toward moving to the BDP-3 or a Lumin U-1 or Lumin U-1 Mini. I would prefer to go with the BDP-3 but I need to play 192kHz files using AES/EBU to the DirectStream. Does this issue exist with the BDP-3? 

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-3 functionality with PSAudio Direct Stream DAC
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2020, 11:13 pm »
Question for BDP-3 users that also own PSAudio DACs.  Apparently there is problem with the BDP-2 IAU and the DirectStream playing 192kHz.24-bit files via S/PDIF or AES/EBU.  I am a BDP-1 and DirectStream owner and was leaning toward moving to the BDP-3 or a Lumin U-1 or Lumin U-1 Mini. I would prefer to go with the BDP-3 but I need to play 192kHz files using AES/EBU to the DirectStream. Does this issue exist with the BDP-3? 

Thanks!

Hi

I know the PS Audio upsamples all incoming files to DSD (you are never listening to the native resolution of the file) so that was the issue with the BDP-1.  I will ask Chris to comment on the BDP-3 for you.

james

Socal77

« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2020, 11:22 pm »
Thanks, James.  The BDP-1 works fine with DirectStream, but reading threads on this forum and the PSAudio forum, my understanding is that the problem was noted with BDP-2 units that received the upgraded IAU.  I am not sure if this IAU is the same as the BDP-3 currently has.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2020, 11:56 pm »
Thanks, James.  The BDP-1 works fine with DirectStream, but reading threads on this forum and the PSAudio forum, my understanding is that the problem was noted with BDP-2 units that received the upgraded IAU.  I am not sure if this IAU is the same as the BDP-3 currently has.

OK thanks - yes I believe the BDP-3 uses the same IAU as the 2.  Email Mike at Bryston and he will know for sure. - mpickett@bryston.com

james