Power Cord Shootout (subjective)

BobM

Re: Power Cord Shootout (subjective)
« Reply #40 on: 22 Feb 2008, 05:59 pm »
Thanks - they've got some very cool stuff there. Wonder why I've never seen them referred to on any of the DIY boards?

Bob

sac8d4

« Reply #41 on: 22 Feb 2008, 06:22 pm »
Call it a really "obscure DIY site"... Right now I'm building a PC with the Full Copper Power plug Transparent RedMale IEC and Female IEC with nanotec 301 PC. I'll be comparing it to my Zu Bok, and for what its worth i would like to A/B it with that new IeGo Power Cable (thats design isn't much different than what im building and about the same price for a completed cable!).

Gordy

« Reply #42 on: 22 Feb 2008, 11:59 pm »
Thanks - they've got some very cool stuff there. Wonder why I've never seen them referred to on any of the DIY boards?

Bob

Bob, I first heard of them at DIYAudio a while back, in reference to switches or rca connectors iirc.  I've dealt with them twice now, very good service and communications!

SET Man

« Reply #43 on: 23 Feb 2008, 01:17 am »
Hey!

BobM, I'm sure that quite a task you did. :D Very informative indeed. Interesting finding on the cheap Volex compared to those I must say :D

How did you do it anyway? Did listen to one cord for a while than shut things off, switch to the next, turn on the system and listen again? Or you listen to one cord for one night than other the next?

Just curious. I think comparing more than... let's say 3 items in the same period would be very hard to do. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

BobM

« Reply #44 on: 23 Feb 2008, 02:34 pm »
There was a lot of shutting off, replacing, turning on, letting things warm up, play some music & jot down notes, etc. Then repeat, recycly, replay. Finally getting down to the 2 or 3 cords I liked best and switching it up.

Good for me that I work from home and it's been fairly quiet lately with lots of time to play. It's not always like that though, so the stars aligned for me for a short while.

Enjoy,
Bob

earwig

« Reply #45 on: 24 Feb 2008, 12:44 pm »
 Ill just Quietly assemble my Belden 83802 I got from Audiyo.com for a reasonable price and put a ground on it to my Marinco plugs then I let you know if I can hear a differance when I put on my amp.So far I remain skeptical of exaggerated claims.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2008, 12:17 pm by earwig »

Brown

« Reply #46 on: 24 Feb 2008, 11:45 pm »
Bob nice job.  Well written. They all sound different, now if the cable Lords would give us common folk a break, more would try.

brown

Brown

« Reply #47 on: 24 Feb 2008, 11:46 pm »
Earwig, do clarify this for us thanks.

brown

earwig

« Reply #48 on: 25 Feb 2008, 09:26 am »
Scientific studies prove using the same low cost wines revealed it taste better when it is believed to be most expensive.Can we be sure about what we hear relates to that too?
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2008, 12:19 pm by earwig »

BobM

« Reply #49 on: 25 Feb 2008, 01:14 pm »
Scientific studies prove using the same low cost wines revealed it taste better when it is believed to be most expensive.Can we be sure about what we hear relates to that too?

Well, as I state in my review, some of the lesser priced cords certainly outdid the higher priced ones, but not always. I guess un-scientific studies prove that all things sound different, but it's up to you to determine (1) if it makes a difference to your ears, (2) if the cost can be justified to your wallet, (3) if you want to go through the effort of trying for yourself and proving or disproving to yourself that there may be something to this upgrading power cord mess, and (4) if you have some informed experience to share with those of us who have gone through step #3.

Enjoy,
Bob

Brown

« Reply #50 on: 25 Feb 2008, 03:00 pm »

Well, as I state in my review, some of the lesser priced cords certainly outdid the higher priced ones, but not always. I guess un-scientific studies prove that all things sound different, but it's up to you to determine (1) if it makes a difference to your ears, (2) if the cost can be justified to your wallet, (3) if you want to go through the effort of trying for yourself and proving or disproving to yourself that there may be something to this upgrading power cord mess, and (4) if you have some informed experience to share with those of us who have gone through step #3.

Enjoy,
Bob

Well said Bob. Unless one is willing to take the time to experiment and listen its just another opinion. For me the ESP cords on my amps and Omega Mikro on Pre and CDP are definite improvements over the stock cords.
   To date I have tried Siltech,Cardas, ESP, Omega Mikro, Synergenic Research, Legenberg, Kimber Palladian, PS Audio, Consonance and several homemade configurations. None of these cords worked as well in my system than the others. THEY WORK FOR ME.

brown
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2008, 04:24 pm by Brown »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #51 on: 25 Feb 2008, 03:41 pm »

There is indeed merit to this.  Having owned a critically acclaimed $2000 PC I can say it was certainly different.  Better?  No.  Different?  Yes.

The point is a power cord is essentially wire.  How much do you have to pay for a piece of wire in order to feel good?

BobM

« Reply #52 on: 25 Feb 2008, 04:18 pm »
Discussing cables with audiophiles ... annoying. Feeling good ... priceless  :lol:

But seriously, I think there is a logical explaination of why wires sound different and interact differently with different components. Just think about it and it actually will make sense, even to an engineer.

Wire has measurable properties, inductance, capacitance, resistance, etc. These are affected by the type of wire, the # and thickness of strands, the dielectric, the length, shielding, etc. These properties WILL affect transformers and power supplies downstream of them. Just like different kinds of power conditioners will, and mainly for some of the same reasons. I think most engineers would agree that power supplies are critical to the sound of a component, after all it all stems from the cleanliness and stability of the power coming in.

So why would it be difficult to think that wires will affect the sound of a system, and that it can possibly affect each component differently, depending on how its power supply is implemented? Yes, there are probably "optimum" parameters for a power cord, and I'm sure the expensive cables measure and try to obtain those parameters, and often use expensive component parts to do so; perhaps more so than the less expensive PC manufacturers. That's called research and should command a premium. Whether it works better for you in your system is still a subjective choice you have to make for yourself, all other things considered.

So, did I do a decent job of trying to explain it (at least my theory on why there are audible differences)? Perhaps this post belongs in the lab forum where such things are discussed frequently. Not looking to be controversial here, just making an attempt at educating others and hoping they will experiment for themselves and make their own (informed) decisions.

Enjoy,
Bob

ehider

« Reply #53 on: 26 Feb 2008, 02:56 am »
I've spent quite a few years trying to wrap my head around the reasons that any of these power cords could sound so different  :scratch:. Thankfully, a couple of well informed engineers have given me logical explanations that make complete electrical sense....

Power cords should be thought of as very complex filters that have interactive effects - both from the source side (the AC outlet) and the amplifier and/or source component's power supply. Think things such as Power factor delivery (a sort of "efficiency factor" for you non technical types). With power supplies within components being not nearly as stable and isolated circuits that many think they are; this would absolutely explain the interactivity that a complex filter (read 'power cord') has between the AC and the component, i.e. the reason for the power cord's associated sonic attributes (or lack thereof)  :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #54 on: 26 Feb 2008, 03:51 am »
Price wise....of the five power cords that I loaned BobM to compare, none retail for more that $600.00 .

earwig

« Reply #55 on: 26 Feb 2008, 07:57 am »
Regardless of price,it should be done as a blind tests.We should use some economical choices as well ,that have reportedly good results.Listening to it that way would for sure eliminate perceptual interferance.If you can afford the expensive one cause it really sounds the best ,then go for it.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #56 on: 26 Feb 2008, 08:03 am »
Next time I'll loan him my blindfold....

Just hope he doesn't electrocute himself trying to plug the power cords in.... :P

ehider

« Reply #57 on: 26 Feb 2008, 10:01 am »
Just for you Wind Chaser! -
Power cords should be thought of as very complex filters

i.e. the reason for the power cord's associated sonic attributes (or lack thereof)  :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #58 on: 26 Feb 2008, 02:07 pm »
So using the blindfold method should also be good for which beer or wine tastes the best too ,though I think that may be off the audio topic somewhat.

That was done with coffee.  None of the participants were able to select there favorite brand.  I read recently the samething with tubes vs. solid state.  Blindfolded they'd say the SS amp was tubes and the tubes was SS.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #59 on: 26 Feb 2008, 04:55 pm »
So using the blindfold method should also be good for which beer or wine tastes the best too ,though I think that may be off the audio topic somewhat.

That was done with coffee.  None of the participants were able to select there favorite brand.  I read recently the samething with tubes vs. solid state.  Blindfolded they'd say the SS amp was tubes and the tubes was SS.

Do you have a link to the tubes vs. solid state blindfold study?