I finally dropped I Tunes and started streaming qobuz

marc513

I have finally gotten tired of I Tunes tired of getting duplicates and songs disappearing from my playlist. I thought it was time to jump in to streaming so I tried a free tidal subscription wow great way to discover new music but not real happy with sound quality. I have a audioquest cobalt DAC that does MQA but I did not like the sound quality. Today I tried qobuz free trial love its sound quality is so much better without that MQA coding that tidal has . Do other people have a problem with MQA encoded songs . I know the audioquest cobalt is not the best DAC and maybe a better DAC would give me better results? But I am so happy with the qobuz sound just playing 16 bit /44 now I will be getting rid of tidal. I need to figure out a way to hard wire my modem to my computer ( Mac mini ) it is now wireless and I get a few dropouts when playing Hi Res files . The modem is upstairs and my music room is in the basement .
System
Basis 2001 turntable
Graham 2.2 tonearm
Dynavector XX2 Mk 2 cartridge
Aesthetix Reha phono stage
Warp speed LDR Volume control
NAT se2se power amp
North creek manifest speakers
North creek thunder subwoofers ( 2 )
Ridge street cables - power -speaker - inter connect
Samsung 55 inch Led  tv
Room
16 X 25
Bass traps in front corners

Craig B

Re: I finally dropped I Tunes and started streaming qobuz
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2022, 01:13 pm »
I subscribe to both Tidal and Qobuz. With my system (Node 2i, PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell/DAC, PS Audio M700 monoblocks and Magnepan .7s), I rarely hear a difference between Tidal's MQA and Qobuz's hi-res streams. Qobuz is my preference between the two, mainly because they have more of the music I want, but also because if I had Tidal only, I'd be locked into specific hardware to get that final unfolding of MQA, and I don't like to be hamstrung like that. I keep telling myself that I need to cancel Tidal, but there are occasions when they have music I want that Qobuz doesn't, so I haven't dropped them yet.

One other note, since you mentioned you're tired of songs disappearing from your Apple playlists - even with Tidal and Qobuz that happens from time to time as agreements over rights change or expire. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. When it does, the song is still listed in the playlist, but it's grayed-out and either won't play, or it will only play a few seconds as a "sample."

jjss49

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2022, 03:35 pm »
tidal and qobuz sound subtly different... qobuz a bit more 'solid' with slightly less air up top, tidal a touch 'phasey' but with more sheen and expansive imaging

both are very very good sounding, qobuz hi res is nice, tidal mqa is kinda hit or miss

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2022, 03:44 pm »
I've tried both Tidal and Qobuz, and to me Qobuz sounds better.

2Bad

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2022, 05:57 pm »
Tidal for me... Qobuz is not available in Canada so Tidal for the win.  :thumb: :lol:

nik_ash

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2022, 06:59 pm »
Only Tidal is available in Canada. Family is using Spotify because kids don't care about the sound quality, on headphones it is okay for them and they like the user interface.

sonicboom

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2022, 11:32 pm »
I've tried both Tidal and Qobuz, and to me Qobuz sounds better.

I have also come to the same conclusion.

Craig B

« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2022, 12:21 pm »
For what it's worth, Qobuz is working on Canadian availability, according to their employee and FaceBook ambassador, David Solomon. I don't know what that means in terms of the legal or licensing steps that need to be taken and how long until all the required pieces are in place, but they aren't just ignoring Canada.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2022, 02:20 pm »
Qobuz it's easily better than Tidal and a few bucks cheaper.  Plus I don't have to buy a new MQA DAC.  Why Tidal went all in on MQA I haven't a clue, but we don't need another codec that doesn't really offer much.

nature boy

« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2022, 04:41 pm »
Good decision. Qobuz is the best.

HK