Bourbon!!!!

ctviggen

Re: Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #160 on: 5 Feb 2014, 02:01 pm »
I just picked up this silver bourbon by High West.

For a young bourbon, it's very smooth and tastes great. Very different profile from you typical aged offering, but unique and great none the less.

That's actually a rye not a bourbon.  A bourbon has to have > 50% corn, whereas a rye has to have > 50% rye (I believe).  In the whiskey you cited above, it's 100% rye (not to mention it's not from Kentucky and therefore technically can't be called a bourbon anyway). 

Personally, I like ryes a lot and also like bourbons with a high percentage of rye.  I think I've had High West's Rendezvous Rye, which I thought was quite good.  I didn't know they made so many different whiskeys though.

sts9fan

« Reply #161 on: 5 Feb 2014, 02:45 pm »
High West Campfire is amazing.

santacore

« Reply #162 on: 5 Feb 2014, 04:23 pm »
High West Campfire is amazing.

Yeah, great stuff!! I great bourbon with a scotch like peety-ness

ctviggen, of course you're right, this is technically a Rye, not a bourbon. It's young and not aged in wood like most bourbon/ryes. The smell reminds me of a good tequila. It's surprisingly complex with interesting flavors. I'm digging it!

ctviggen

« Reply #163 on: 5 Feb 2014, 04:49 pm »
They look very interesting.  It's hard to get some of these whiskeys here in CT for some reason.  I think I've only seen one bottle from this distiller, and it's the one I bought.  Want vodka?  You can have nine million of those.  Want rye or anything other than "generic" bourbons?  You have to look hard.

I like tequila, too.  It's a different taste and can be "fresher" in many ways. 

Ericus Rex

« Reply #164 on: 5 Feb 2014, 05:24 pm »
They look very interesting.  It's hard to get some of these whiskeys here in CT for some reason.  I think I've only seen one bottle from this distiller, and it's the one I bought.  Want vodka?  You can have nine million of those.  Want rye or anything other than "generic" bourbons?  You have to look hard.

I like tequila, too.  It's a different taste and can be "fresher" in many ways.

When I first moved to Boston from Georgia I had an impossible time finding my favorite bourbons.  It's Scotch country up here.  On my first trip back down to pick up the last of my crap I went by my then-favorite booze depot and bought every single bottle of my favorites they had; 11 total!  I can only imagine the judgment laid on me in the mind of the cashier.  Been savoring ever since and so I still have some of that vintage stash.  Bourbon's slowly invaded since then but, sadly, the prices are now approaching Scotch prices.

santacore

« Reply #165 on: 17 Mar 2014, 03:00 am »
Not Bourbon, but still tasty whiskey. It's a shame that they don't sell this stuff in the U.S., as it's way more enjoyable then the domestic Jack.

CSJ

« Reply #166 on: 17 Dec 2014, 03:00 am »
Whistle Pig - top shelf
Gunpowder rye - not your everyday rye, big, bold, and smooth.
Bib and Tucker - top shelf, as good as Whistle Pig, maybe better.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #167 on: 17 Dec 2014, 05:31 am »
I'm drinking a glass of Woodford Reserve 4 Wood. 

HsvHeelFan

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #168 on: 27 Feb 2015, 05:50 pm »
My fav so far is Blantons - how smooth!

santacore

« Reply #169 on: 28 Feb 2015, 05:06 am »
Blanton's is nice and smooth, but I prefer something with a little more kick such as Bookers. Delicious...

My fav so far is Blantons - how smooth!

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #170 on: 1 Mar 2015, 06:49 pm »
What does a Scotsman smell like under his kilt?

http://www.cnet.com/news/these-clothes-smell-like-johnnie-walker-whisky-on-purpose/

(didn't know where to post this)

santacore

« Reply #171 on: 21 Oct 2015, 11:06 pm »
Any AC'ers able to get some of the special releases coming out in fall? Pappy, Buffalo Trace Antique, etc.?

Here in California it's ridiculously hard to find anything on the shelves. Years back maybe, but nowadays it's all back door deals. A real bummer.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #172 on: 21 Oct 2015, 11:50 pm »
Did know BT had an antique. I'll have to look for that one.

santacore

« Reply #173 on: 22 Oct 2015, 12:01 am »
Yes, there is a collection that comes out every fall. 5 different offering under different names, each with their own unique character.

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/antique-collection

Unfortunately it's becoming unobtainable, at least here in So. California.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #174 on: 22 Oct 2015, 12:09 am »
Nice. Thank you!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #175 on: 3 Jan 2016, 02:51 am »
"Bump".
Nothing exceptional, but here's what's in the lineup;

youravhandyman

« Reply #176 on: 3 Jan 2016, 05:23 am »

Hey Bob, here's the latest bottle I've added to class up the joint.  It is pretty good, but I'm going back to Four Roses for my more frequent enjoyment.

Matt

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #177 on: 3 Jan 2016, 05:33 am »
Oh, nice.

There is a single malt whiskey (not Scotch) here that is very special. It's called Kavalan Cask Strength Solist. It's approximately 58.6% (forgot exact %) alc. The whiskey is stored in Sherry barrels for a time before it is bottled in numbered bottles. There is another one where the whiskey is stored in Bourbon barrels, but I have not tried this one.

It's quite likely one of the best single malt whiskeys I have ever consumed.

It's possible that it does not exist outside of Taiwan. [Edit: It can be purchased outside of Taiwan -700ml approximate price is $150USD.] Even here it is only sold in a few locations, but costs 'just' $88USD. I plan to take a bottle or two back to the States when we return in March. I also plan to attend LSAF this year.  8)

http://time.com/3753768/world-best-whisky-taiwan-kavalan-world-whiskies-awards/

WGH

« Reply #178 on: 24 Nov 2016, 01:59 am »

One of my favorites is Whiskey Del Bac from Hamilton Distillers, an award winning small artisan distillery right here in Tucson, AZ.
http://hamiltondistillers.com/

All 3 types (Classic, Dorado, and Clear) are single malt whiskeys and everything is done in house, they malt their own barley, then mash, ferment, distill, barrel and bottle under one roof. The mesquite smoked Dorado is the essence of the Southwest in a bottle. Hamilton's whiskeys are very, very smooth, fairly light with great flavors.

Awards

2016 San Francisco World Spirits Competition:
   Silver: Craft Spirits – Whiskey Del Bac Classic

2016 American Craft Spirits Association:
   Bronze: Whiskey – Whiskey Del Bac Classic

2015 New York International Spirits Competition:
   Bronze:  Whiskey – Whiskey Del Bac Classic

2015 New York International Spirits Competition:
   Arizona Distillery of the Year

2015 American Craft Spirits Association:
   Gold:  Whiskey – Whiskey Del Bac Classic

2014  Great American Distillers Festival:
   Double Gold Best In Show: Single Malt Less than 1 Year – Whiskey Del Bac Classic

2014  Great American Distillers Festival:
   Gold: Single Malt Less than 1 Year – Whiskey Del Bac Classic

2014  American Craft Distillers Festival:
   Bronze:  Whiskey – Whiskey Del Bac Classic

2014 Washington Cup Spirits Competition:
   Bronze:  Single Malt Whiskey – Whiskey Del Bac Classic

2014 American Distillers Institute:
   Bronze:  Single Malt Under 2 Years – Whiskey Del Bac Classic

You probably won't find a bottle outside of the Tucson area, which is just another reason to escape the winter. Hamilton also has distillery tours with tastings and if you are real lucky you might just find a bottle of the limited run un-proofed Del Bac.

Wayne

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #179 on: 24 Nov 2016, 02:19 am »
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2016, 11:14 am by Bob2 »