Bourbon!!!!

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
Re: Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #120 on: 13 Aug 2012, 12:14 am »
Ericus Rex, I like Dickel too, but it an JD are Tennessee Whiskies.

Bourbon:

Go to every day for a mixer: Maker's Mark, Bulleit

Poker game shot: Rebel Yell, Knob Creek

Sippin' neat: Four Roses small batch, Woodford, Buffaloe Trace, Baker's

Sprinkled with a bit of branch: Pappy 20!

My current fave: Willetts Family Reserve Single Barrel (hand selected--barrel proof 127.5)  :bowdown:

I'm gonna keep trying new ones. I want to buy a bottle of Parker's next.

setamp

« Reply #121 on: 13 Aug 2012, 12:42 am »
Basil Hayden is my favorite.  I would like to try the new Woodford Doubled Oak.

fado

« Reply #123 on: 14 Aug 2012, 03:44 pm »
I too like Basil Hayden - mainly because it tastes good yet remains at 80 proof. I like a second drink that I can remember.

Marbles

« Reply #124 on: 31 Oct 2012, 03:25 pm »
This years batch of Pappy Van Winkle, George T. Stagg et al  are in stores now.

George T Stagg has been Wine Spectators "Spirit of the Year" two years in a row.

roscoeiii

« Reply #125 on: 31 Oct 2012, 03:32 pm »
Yes indeed. And this year's Stagg is excellent.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #126 on: 31 Oct 2012, 05:01 pm »
Thanks guys.  I have been waiting for Stagg.  I was expecting it a couple of weeks ago.

santacore

« Reply #127 on: 31 Oct 2012, 06:31 pm »
I'll have to keep an eye out for the current Stagg. Lately I've been enjoying the Dickel small batch, as my daily drink. I've read it's very inconsistent, but I'm enjoying my bottle. I think I will pick up another Angels Envy for the holidays, which I find light and tasty. Another I've enjoyed lately is the "Big Bottom Whiskey" port barrel. It's from a small company in Oregon. I rolled the dice on that one, but liked it.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #128 on: 12 Feb 2013, 06:18 am »

Maker's Mark ....getting ...."watered down"...  :o

kenreau

« Reply #129 on: 12 Feb 2013, 06:39 am »
I'll throw in two thumbs up for Big Bottom as well.  I'm in Portland, maybe 5 miles from their facility.   I originally found out about it two summers ago from a mechanic guy that works on my Audi.  At the time he was helping them do the bottling on the side and suggested I check them out.  Blanton's is still my top pick, but Big Bottom is very close for about 60% of the cost.  I read they are also venturing in to making wines.

Kenreau

I'll have to keep an eye out for the current Stagg. Lately I've been enjoying the Dickel small batch, as my daily drink. I've read it's very inconsistent, but I'm enjoying my bottle. I think I will pick up another Angels Envy for the holidays, which I find light and tasty. Another I've enjoyed lately is the "Big Bottom Whiskey" port barrel. It's from a small company in Oregon. I rolled the dice on that one, but liked it.

kenreau

« Reply #130 on: 12 Feb 2013, 06:42 am »
What is the availability of Pappy Van Winkle?  A good buddy gave me a bottle for my 50th and I haven't been able to find any locally.  I'm in Oregon and have been told only the bars and restaurants can get it (occasionally).  Next to impossible to find here.

Can anyone fill me in on how to get a bottle or two, short of making a trip to Frankfort?

Thanks
Kenreau

This years batch of Pappy Van Winkle, George T. Stagg et al  are in stores now.

George T Stagg has been Wine Spectators "Spirit of the Year" two years in a row.

roscoeiii

« Reply #131 on: 12 Feb 2013, 02:59 pm »
What is the availability of Pappy Van Winkle?  A good buddy gave me a bottle for my 50th and I haven't been able to find any locally.  I'm in Oregon and have been told only the bars and restaurants can get it (occasionally).  Next to impossible to find here.

Can anyone fill me in on how to get a bottle or two, short of making a trip to Frankfort?

Pappy is very hard to find. Especially the 20. Each year'a batches sell out quite quickly around here (Chicago).

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #132 on: 12 Feb 2013, 03:01 pm »
I wonder if a bottle of "pre-watered down" Makers Mark will be more valuable later down the road. A collectors item so to speak.
It's a shame I've already opened my bottle.  :lol:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #133 on: 12 Feb 2013, 03:19 pm »
Blanton's if not mentioned before.

charles

WireNut

« Reply #134 on: 12 Feb 2013, 05:25 pm »

If there going to water it down I think they should drop the price.

Pennington is good.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #135 on: 12 Feb 2013, 05:44 pm »
I'll add a second to gbeard's mention of Buffalo Trace as a great sippin' whiskey.  I got a bottle on a whim as it was $2 cheaper than Makers and ended up liking it better.

santacore

« Reply #136 on: 13 Feb 2013, 05:56 am »
Agreed, I'll take the Buffalo Trace over Makers.

High West has been another pleasant surprise lately. Their Rendezvous Rye is really smooth and tasty. It's definitely a new label that's worth a shot.

kenreau

« Reply #137 on: 15 Feb 2013, 03:33 am »
I'm on the left coast (Oregon).  I would like to get a bottle, or two, of 15 year +/- of  Pappy Van Winkles. 

Can anyone fill me in if its possible (mail order, private party, etc) short of making a trip to Frankfort? 

Thanks
Kenreau

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #138 on: 15 Feb 2013, 04:11 am »
Agreed, I'll take the Buffalo Trace over Makers.

High West has been another pleasant surprise lately. Their Rendezvous Rye is really smooth and tasty. It's definitely a new label that's worth a shot.

Ooh, that's interesting, I'm a big Rye whiskey fan as I make Manhattans the original, old fashioned way using Rye instead of the more popular and modern Canadian Whiskey recipe.  There's just no comparison, you'd never go back after using a good Rye.  Rye's are very different for sippin', spicy and up front, you have to go for that type of taste.  Very hard to find a Rye in most bars, the bartenders look at you like you're from Mars when you ask.  Of course they're mostly kids, even at the top shelf places I go.  Anyway, thanks muchly for the recommendation, I'll look for it.

For a strange bourbon recommendation, let me suggest Jim Beam Devil's Cut.  I thought it would be another bland JB consumer product (I do like their Rye) but was quite surprised.  Kind of like Jack Daniels on steroids, lots of wood and spice, but smooth and velvety, with a bit of complexity.  I was very surprised how this low cost product punched above it's weight.     

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #139 on: 15 Feb 2013, 04:59 am »
I just got into whiskey, so far I have tried

-Stranahan's--- very good but it seems overpriced at $60. I got it on sale for $45, this seems more reasonable. Not sure I'd buy this again even at $45 after trying Woodford though.

-Breckenridge-- good, moderately expensive. I live near Boulder so I want to try the local offerings. Might buy again, but only if it were on sale for around $30... retail at $45-50 seems high.

-Leopold Bros small batch from open fermented sour mash. I guess this isn't a bourbon, but it's really good. Is sour mash an all corn whiskey?

-Laird's Straight Apple Brandy, 100 proof BOB. Definitely not a Bourbon, but really nice for $20 if you can get past the strong alcohol bite in the beginning. You get used to it  :thumb:

-Woodford, I got it on sale for $30 and it's one of the best liquors I've ever tried nevermind just whiskey. I like it better than Breck or Stranahans which cost more, this stuff is just amazing.