Apple TV remote

mikeeastman

Apple TV remote
« on: 15 Sep 2019, 10:56 pm »
I got an Apple TV a couple of months ago and like it but the remoter is total crap, is there a different remote that will work with it?

Doublej

Re: Apple TV remote
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2019, 02:17 am »
I have an Apple TV that is a couple of generations old. My remote works fine. It is the Apple UI that is funky. As an alternative you can try the TV remote on the iphone but it may have the same buttons.

Bad remote perhaps?

avta

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2019, 02:38 am »
This is what I have. It works well with Apple TV.

mikeeastman

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2019, 01:33 pm »
Thanks avta looks like it will work. The stock remote is not broken it's just that I'm old and that touch crap never does what I want.

avta

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2019, 01:35 pm »
I agree. My wife refuses to use it. Can't blame her. Surprised they haven't changed the design.

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2019, 04:35 pm »
I don't know what functionality you give up other than Siri but one option is last generation's aluminum remote. Don't know if this would meet your needs

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205329

mikeeastman

« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2019, 07:40 pm »
 Doublej, That's the piece of crap I have now and I hate it.

rwolters

« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2019, 08:02 pm »
I don't think this is an option that you'd like since you said you don't like the "touch" aspect of the Apple TV remote, but I'll offer it anyway. It may be beneficial to someone. There's an app that you can download from the app store. I used it on my iPhone for a few days. I think it was free, but don't recall for sure. I needed it because I'd dropped my Apple TV remote and it slid down between the cushions of my sofa. It got into an area of the sofa that I couldn't reach. Ultimately I was able to get it out, but for a few days the Apple TV Phone App worked great for me. It got me out of a bind.

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2019, 09:09 pm »
Doublej, That's the piece of crap I have now and I hate it.

Oh. Perhaps you'll like the current (black) remote better. You said you got an Apple TV a couple of months ago so I assumed it was the black remote that you were calling crap.

AvsFan

« Reply #9 on: 16 Sep 2019, 09:16 pm »
I hate the remote too. Tried using my IPHONE but it's still not good. The entire user interface on the Apple 4KTV is kind of a pain. I prefer my Playstation over the Apple. Really the only reason I got the Apple is to enjoy Atmos on Netflix.

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 25 Sep 2019, 04:21 am »
I can't stand the remote either. You bump or touch that thing the wrong way and all hell breaks loose. I did end up making peace with it once I got a case for it, though. The extra grip and slightly larger size helps to get things from getting out of hand.

Doublej

« Reply #11 on: 10 Dec 2019, 12:02 am »

Daniel-J

« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2020, 08:10 am »
My remote destroyed my dog and I felt uncomfortable using the TV and buying a new one was expensive. I didn't know there were analogues that would work well with this TV. Thanks for what you said, I'll be sure to buy it.

richidoo

« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2020, 02:25 pm »
Poor dog  :cry:

skunark

« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2020, 02:33 am »
The newer Samsung remote controls the Apple TV well.   I wanted a QLED over OLED to use with a computer and not worry about burnin issues.m, but the remote is really nice and will probably stick with Samsung TVs because of it (and has the Apple TV software)