Sp 1.7 loud relay

Tanner

Sp 1.7 loud relay
« on: 14 Oct 2003, 11:09 am »
Is this normal for this unit? Everytime the sp 1.7 relays switch i get a pop thru my speakers.

Tanner

Sp 1.7 loud relay
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2003, 06:25 am »
Anyone?

jethro

Sp 1.7 loud relay
« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2003, 11:37 am »
Quite often I get a huge pop thru my passive sub when turning the sub on and off in the speaker setup menu.  I always turn my volume down down when switching inputs or changing my speaker setup to avoid it. I can't get at my system at the moment because of home renovations, so I'm not sure what happens with the other speakers. I'll try it on the weekend.

The people from Bryston who follow this newsgroup are not currently available due to other comittments. I expect them back online shortly.

afblaster

Sp 1.7 loud relay
« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2003, 08:19 am »
I have no problems with my all Bryston/PMC setup.  Biggest pop (but not loud) is from the TLE1 sub at turn on, but no pops when changing inputs or modes in normal operation, just the sound of the click of the relays from the SP1.7

afblaster

Sp 1.7 loud relay
« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2003, 08:39 am »
I forgot to say that all my processor to amp (and sub) connections are balanced - this may be relevant?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Sp 1.7 loud relay
« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2003, 01:22 pm »
Hi All,

The SP1.7 uses discrete Class A operational amplifiers on the output - rather than IC's. There is always some small amout of Gain in the output section as a result. The advantage of Class A amplifiers is much better performance the disadvantage is that depending on the systems grounding you will sometimes get a pop. The balanced system has a separate ground so it is recommended if pops are an issue in your particular system. Also the sensitivity of your amps and speakers can increase the level of the pop. It is nothing that will cause any damage to your system though.

james

Tanner

Sp 1.7 loud relay
« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2003, 07:09 pm »
Thanks Jethro, James and afblaster for your responces.
Tanner