Integrating BP-25 into a HT system.

govcon

« on: 11 Sep 2003, 12:35 am »
I was wondering if Bryston has any modifications in the pipeline for a direct pass through for the BP-25 to better integrate my current 2 channel system with a HT.  If not, what are my options?

Thanks for any advise.

jethro

« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2003, 11:21 pm »
I was wondering if you could give a few more details? I'm looking into seeing how I can upgrade my BP-25 with the DA option and use it in my HT as a DAC.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2003, 12:37 am »
Hi,

The DAC upgrade in the BP25 can not be used as part of the HT system because the 5.1 bitstream has to be decoded first.
We have discussed a pass-through option but have not reached a conclusion on that one yet.

james

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2003, 01:21 am »
Hi Govcon,

Why not just set the volume at 12:00 and use one of the aux inputs of the BP25 for the L&R outputs of your receiver?

Run your speaker level set up program in your reciever or pre/pro to set volume levels, and you're good to go.

All you need do then for HT is:

1) turn down the volume
2) select the input on the BP25
3) set BP25 volume to 12:00
4) start your HT as usual

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2003, 01:18 pm »
Hi John,

You could do it the way yousay except a true pass-through wough not have the volume control in the way and would be at unit gain.

james

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2003, 02:19 pm »
Quote from: James Tanner
Hi John,

You could do it the way yousay except a true pass-through wough not have the volume control in the way and would be at unit gain.

james

Yep,

The only other options then are:

1) wait for "pass-through"

or

2) Get the SP1.7  :mrgreen:

I like option 2 :wink:

jethro

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2003, 05:20 pm »
Quote from: James Tanner
Hi,

The DAC upgrade in the BP25 can not be used as part of the HT system because the 5.1 bitstream has to be decoded first.
We have discussed a pass-through option but have not reached a conclusion on that one yet.

james

I think the following is different from  what the thread originator intended and a bit off topic, but ...

One could connect a cheapish DVD player to a digital input on the  BP-25DAC, take the BP-25 DAC analog tape outputs, connect them to the analog inputs of an SP-1.7, and run in 2-channel bypass mode. This would give the owner the advantage of having the better DACS (from what I have read, no personal experience) in the BP-25DAC when connected to an HT system, and the ability to remove the BP-25DAC/DVD  from that HT system and create a nice compact 2-channel only system by adding an amp and speakers. Sorry about the run-on sentence. This is the advantage I see of upgrading a BP-25 to the DAC version instead of waiting for a separate Bryston DAC box.

govcon

Thanks for the replys
« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2003, 02:41 pm »
Looks like I'm stuck with John Casler's suggestion for now...until Bryston decides to add a pass through option to the BP25.

Mr. Tanner, do you know if the chances are good that a pass through option is going to happen?

I would like to keep the BP25 in my system because of the nice sound quality, the balanced in/outs, and the phono pre.

Thanks to all that responded.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2003, 08:11 pm »
Hi govcon,

I am sorry but there is no pass through option planned for the BP25.

james