BDP-2 music files over network

bencholette

BDP-2 music files over network
« on: 1 Jun 2018, 02:20 pm »
Hi guys,

I've recently purchased a BDP-2 and have just installed the updated IAD and an internal SSD preloaded with a bunch of music files from my PC.  I also have a 500gb USB drive attached to the BDP, filled with music files as well.  My question is, how do I add / modify / move etc the music files that are on the internal SSD and the USB drive, without physically taking the drive out of the BDP and re-plugging into my Windows 10 PC?  I had thought this could be done through my network.  I can see the Bryston and all the folders / files through my Windows 'This PC' folder, but I can't seem to do anything with them from that screen.  I am using the stock Bryston software for all the media playing duties.  Is there something in the MPD software that needs to be configured?

Thanks in advance!

Grit

• - Garrett
Re: BDP-2 music files over network
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2018, 04:55 pm »
A windows 10 update shut off SMB shares.

Here's a different post in this forum where Chris linked a solution.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=157847.msg1687420#msg1687420

bencholette

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2018, 09:43 pm »
Thank you, will give that a try...Hopefully this isn't the case though..seems ridiculous that I'd have to pull the internal SSD at this point to add / delete / move the music files from the BDP-2..

A windows 10 update shut off SMB shares.

Here's a different post in this forum where Chris linked a solution.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=157847.msg1687420#msg1687420

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2018, 12:34 am »
Thank you, will give that a try...Hopefully this isn't the case though..seems ridiculous that I'd have to pull the internal SSD at this point to add / delete / move the music files from the BDP-2..

Hi

You transfer files over your network.

james

bencholette

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2018, 01:34 am »
Hi James,

I'm not able to transfer anything to or from the BDP-2 within my network for some reason.  No cut / paste / copy, etc. into or from the BDP-2 folders.  I can see the BDP-2 and the internal SSD and the USB drives (along with all the music files in the drives) that I have attached to it within my Windows 10 PC, but I can't do anything else with those files, besides playing them as normal within the Bryston music software.  I will try the one suggestion above and see if that changes anything. 

Thanks

Hi

You transfer files over your network.

james

Pundamilia

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2018, 03:06 am »
Have you signed into the Bryston from Windows to get write permissions?

bencholette

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2018, 03:43 am »
Hi Pundamilia,

I dont recall that even being an option either (I'm assuming RH click on the BDP-2 icon to access?), but I will check when back home tomorrow.

Thanks

bencholette

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2018, 04:21 pm »
Hi Pundamilia,

I'm trying that option now, but don't see any option to select write permissions for the Bryston from my Windows PC...doesn't appear to be any editing options for it at all...

Thanks

zoom25

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2018, 04:59 pm »
Hi guys,

I also have a question. I have a USB hard drive attached to my iMac running 10.8.5 that's on the same network as BDP-1. How can I add that drive as a shared folder that the BDP-1 will recognize? I have checked the hard drive as a "shared folder" under it's 'Get Info' settings. I have checked System Preferences -> File Sharing and the drive is there. Under the 'Options', I have have enabled both 'share filed and folders using SMB (Windows" as well as "using AFP."

When I go to Manic Moose to add a NAS share, I see the iMac show up a bunch of times with SMB and AFP. I went through all them but when I try to add a share in the next step, it either doesn't show anything (SMB) or says Error (AFP).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Krutsch

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jun 2018, 01:06 am »
Hi guys,

I also have a question. I have a USB hard drive attached to my iMac running 10.8.5 that's on the same network as BDP-1. How can I add that drive as a shared folder that the BDP-1 will recognize? I have checked the hard drive as a "shared folder" under it's 'Get Info' settings. I have checked System Preferences -> File Sharing and the drive is there. Under the 'Options', I have have enabled both 'share filed and folders using SMB (Windows" as well as "using AFP."

When I go to Manic Moose to add a NAS share, I see the iMac show up a bunch of times with SMB and AFP. I went through all them but when I try to add a share in the next step, it either doesn't show anything (SMB) or says Error (AFP).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

I haven't tried this for some time, but macOS SMB shares have trouble with Samba client access (like what's used by the BDP). Likewise, the AFP support on the BDP is not really compatible with macOS. I was never able to make this work with either AFP or SMB - your mileage may vary.

You might be able to make this work by reducing the security of the share. See this Apple support note: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204445

There are 3rd-party solutions that add a more compatible SMB server for macOS - I used something a few years ago, whose name escapes me.

Honestly, if you want NAS access, get yourself a WD 3TB My Cloud Personal Network Attached Storage for $149.00 US. Will work just fine for even high-resolution audio files. And, it will give you a backup of your audio files.

Note: avoid the WD 4TB My Cloud Home Personal Cloud Storage device, which does not work like a tradition NAS device.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #10 on: 3 Jun 2018, 06:30 am »
Oh geez, I didn't even think about Mac... I have a PC (and a Mac) for most of my audio ripping (and other stuff). Lemme look into that this weekend.

zoom25

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jun 2018, 07:35 pm »
Oh geez, I didn't even think about Mac... I have a PC (and a Mac) for most of my audio ripping (and other stuff). Lemme look into that this weekend.

Please report back if you get it to work. Thanks.

zoom25

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jun 2018, 07:46 pm »
I haven't tried this for some time, but macOS SMB shares have trouble with Samba client access (like what's used by the BDP). Likewise, the AFP support on the BDP is not really compatible with macOS. I was never able to make this work with either AFP or SMB - your mileage may vary.

You might be able to make this work by reducing the security of the share. See this Apple support note: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204445

There are 3rd-party solutions that add a more compatible SMB server for macOS - I used something a few years ago, whose name escapes me.

Honestly, if you want NAS access, get yourself a WD 3TB My Cloud Personal Network Attached Storage for $149.00 US. Will work just fine for even high-resolution audio files. And, it will give you a backup of your audio files.

Note: avoid the WD 4TB My Cloud Home Personal Cloud Storage device, which does not work like a tradition NAS device.

So these ones: https://www.wdc.com/products/personal-cloud-storage/my-cloud.html#WDBCTL0060HWT-NESN

How's the reliability of the 4, 6 and 8 TB models?

At home, I exclusively use portable and external hard drives from WD and they're all great. All the portable ones are 5400 RPM and quiet. Does this NAS get loud? Do you use this NAS or still with the flash drives?

Krutsch

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jun 2018, 10:22 pm »
So these ones: https://www.wdc.com/products/personal-cloud-storage/my-cloud.html#WDBCTL0060HWT-NESN

At home, I exclusively use portable and external hard drives from WD and they're all great. All the portable ones are 5400 RPM and quiet. Does this NAS get loud? Do you use this NAS or still with the flash drives?

Yes, that's the correct NAS model.

The reliability should be just fine. I have a 4 TB model; it's been running for a couple of years without any problems. WD really does make the best hard drives.

Mine is sitting on a cabinet about 5 feet away. I can't hear a thing unless I place my ear right up next to the device. It's extremely quiet.

However, I am still using the flash drives on the BDP-1. I've verified that everything works with the BDP-1, but I use the WD MyCloud for my Sonos library and music file backup.

zoom25

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jun 2018, 11:51 pm »
Yes, that's the correct NAS model.

The reliability should be just fine. I have a 4 TB model; it's been running for a couple of years without any problems. WD really does make the best hard drives.

Mine is sitting on a cabinet about 5 feet away. I can't hear a thing unless I place my ear right up next to the device. It's extremely quiet.

However, I am still using the flash drives on the BDP-1. I've verified that everything works with the BDP-1, but I use the WD MyCloud for my Sonos library and music file backup.

I tried looking around and it seems to be discontinued. A couple of (sketchy) places seem to have it but at insane prices. There is the EX2 models and the My Cloud Home (which you advised against). Don't know how they compare to other brands.

How big are those flash drives? I contemplated few years ago, but gave up on them for hosting full library and how to sort stuff across multiple flash drives. A big single drive just made sense and organizing stuff alphabetically.

Krutsch

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jun 2018, 01:07 am »
I tried looking around and it seems to be discontinued. A couple of (sketchy) places seem to have it but at insane prices. There is the EX2 models and the My Cloud Home (which you advised against). Don't know how they compare to other brands.

How big are those flash drives? I contemplated few years ago, but gave up on them for hosting full library and how to sort stuff across multiple flash drives. A big single drive just made sense and organizing stuff alphabetically.

The EX2 models are a "pro" version of the same thing. Same software, faster processor, dual 1G Ethernet ports (I think), but more expensive.

Have you looked on Amazon? When I search, I find this:

https://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Personal-Network-Attached-Storage/dp/B00EVVGAC6/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528073664&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=wd+mycloud+4tb

Corsair has a 1TB USB 3.1 flash drive w/ SSD controller (the GTX model) for ~430.00 - not cheap, but the 512GB GTX version is $216 in the US. Not sure how much these are in Canada. My FLAC library, curated to work around the limitations of MPD and Manic Moose, is about 600 GB (17,000+ tracks), so it works okay for me.

Of course, the BDP makes aggregating multiple USB drives into one library seamless.

Yes, sync'ing onto separate flash drives was a little work, but I went through the effort some time ago using "Sample Manager w/ iZotope64" to maintain down-sampled versions of my high-res files for Sonos. So, it was easy for me to split up across 3 flash drives, using GoodSync for syncing only updates/new files from my Drobo onto my flash drives. If you are a Mac user, look into "BlueHarvest" on the app store to keep macOS filesystem junk off of your FAT32 USB drives for the BDP.

zoom25

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jun 2018, 03:42 am »
The EX2 models are a "pro" version of the same thing. Same software, faster processor, dual 1G Ethernet ports (I think), but more expensive.

Have you looked on Amazon? When I search, I find this:

https://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Personal-Network-Attached-Storage/dp/B00EVVGAC6/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528073664&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=wd+mycloud+4tb

Corsair has a 1TB USB 3.1 flash drive w/ SSD controller (the GTX model) for ~430.00 - not cheap, but the 512GB GTX version is $216 in the US. Not sure how much these are in Canada. My FLAC library, curated to work around the limitations of MPD and Manic Moose, is about 600 GB (17,000+ tracks), so it works okay for me.

Of course, the BDP makes aggregating multiple USB drives into one library seamless.

Yes, sync'ing onto separate flash drives was a little work, but I went through the effort some time ago using "Sample Manager w/ iZotope64" to maintain down-sampled versions of my high-res files for Sonos. So, it was easy for me to split up across 3 flash drives, using GoodSync for syncing only updates/new files from my Drobo onto my flash drives. If you are a Mac user, look into "BlueHarvest" on the app store to keep macOS filesystem junk off of your FAT32 USB drives for the BDP.

Thanks. I was looking for 4TB+ versions. The price seems jacked compared to their MRSP on WD's website.

I took a look at BlueHarvest. Is that to free up space or fix other things?

Also, what are the limits of Manic Moose? My library is over 1TB on a 2TB hard drive. Whenever I need to use MPD, I use it with that drive and other flash drives, but have the database disabled. Getting metadata to come out properly was such a headache that I gave up. It would have taken forever to address metadata consistency and do it manually. Roon almost completely fixes that problem.

Those flash drives are expensive, although the speed may be worth it if you are constantly transferring back and forth. I admire all that you do to make it all work. Still, wouldn't it be easier to just use the single NAS or USB drive and have everything in one place? Also, cheaper?

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #17 on: 4 Jun 2018, 08:18 am »

I had one die within just a few weeks, it's replacement is running smoothly for almost 4 years now.

Krutsch

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jun 2018, 02:46 pm »
Thanks. I was looking for 4TB+ versions. The price seems jacked compared to their MRSP on WD's website.

I took a look at BlueHarvest. Is that to free up space or fix other things?

Also, what are the limits of Manic Moose? My library is over 1TB on a 2TB hard drive. Whenever I need to use MPD, I use it with that drive and other flash drives, but have the database disabled. Getting metadata to come out properly was such a headache that I gave up. It would have taken forever to address metadata consistency and do it manually. Roon almost completely fixes that problem.

Those flash drives are expensive, although the speed may be worth it if you are constantly transferring back and forth. I admire all that you do to make it all work. Still, wouldn't it be easier to just use the single NAS or USB drive and have everything in one place? Also, cheaper?

BlueHarvest is a tool that keeps macOS from writing system files to your external drive. Think of it has a cleaner, but not to save space, but to remove all of the "dot this and that" added to store macOS meta data. On the BDP, for example, if you copy *.M3U playlists into the playlists folder, using Finder, you will end up with .myplaylist equivalents that will actually show up as playlists in MPD. So, you just run the tool, add your USB drive to the list of storage devices to monitor and forget about it.

I think Manic Moose can handle a large library - I recall reading that James Tanner's library is something like 65K tracks.

I wish people who are not comfortable with digital audio files and computers would take another look at Roon because, as you say, it completely cleans up your ripped music collection - even if you have NO tags, it will still identify the track and apply internal tagged values.

It probably would be easier to just use a single USB drive, but I already have my collection separated for the Sonos so it was easy to do. I keep one of the 256 GB GTX drives for "new music", so even though I am constantly ripping CDs, updating is very quick - I only have to pull one flash drive, sync it and re-insert and update. With Manic Moose's database disabled, the update is very fast.

zoom25

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jun 2018, 07:26 pm »
BlueHarvest is a tool that keeps macOS from writing system files to your external drive. Think of it has a cleaner, but not to save space, but to remove all of the "dot this and that" added to store macOS meta data. On the BDP, for example, if you copy *.M3U playlists into the playlists folder, using Finder, you will end up with .myplaylist equivalents that will actually show up as playlists in MPD. So, you just run the tool, add your USB drive to the list of storage devices to monitor and forget about it.

I think Manic Moose can handle a large library - I recall reading that James Tanner's library is something like 65K tracks.

I wish people who are not comfortable with digital audio files and computers would take another look at Roon because, as you say, it completely cleans up your ripped music collection - even if you have NO tags, it will still identify the track and apply internal tagged values.

It probably would be easier to just use a single USB drive, but I already have my collection separated for the Sonos so it was easy to do. I keep one of the 256 GB GTX drives for "new music", so even though I am constantly ripping CDs, updating is very quick - I only have to pull one flash drive, sync it and re-insert and update. With Manic Moose's database disabled, the update is very fast.

That sounds useful. Thanks. I can already see uses for other things.

Last summer I used MP3tag on Windows to do batch corrections on my albums and it worked the best for me and getting things exactly as I wanted it. I was there was a Mac version. However, it was too time consuming and would've taken a long time to get it right. With Roon, as long as the files you use have decent amount of metadata, it will handle things quite well. I don't have to be as meticulous with Roon. It's nice being able to be lazy and just drag a file to a local hard drive and having Roon update it right away. I've only had to make manual changes a couple of times on Roon. Manic Moose on the other hand requires you to be perfect if you want the same level of consistency and usefulness with your library.