Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.

quattro73

Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.
« Reply #880 on: 24 Jul 2015, 02:43 am »
I've been researching these but I'm thinking my best option is to just wait for the Elac??

charmerci

« Reply #881 on: 25 Jul 2015, 02:01 am »
I've done extensive reading and have owned the Pio 22's and would say yes, wait for the Elac's - unless you really want to save the money and brace/dampen the 22's. (Though I haven't heard the Elac's.) The ELAC's would be a safer bet.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #882 on: 25 Jul 2015, 02:20 am »
...just wait for the Elac??

Yes. I just got an email from Elac saying they will announce in the next few weeks who and where the dealers and retailers will be.

Zero

« Reply #883 on: 25 Jul 2015, 02:45 am »
genjamon  -  Thanks for watching!  I can't wait to get my ears on a set of those Elacs.

On the topic of value, I think it's important to note that the new Andrew Jones ELAC monitors will cost nearly twice as much as the Pioneers.  I know that seems fairly inconsequential when it comes to "cheap n' cheerful" loudspeakers, but when you can double down on your material costs, it makes a difference.  Hence why I arrived to that conclusion.  :D 

jdandy

« Reply #884 on: 25 Jul 2015, 04:16 am »
I've had a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers in my shop now for a year.  A small NAD receiver powers them with a Sony CD spinner and an Awia cassette deck as my sources, along with a powered Dayton 10" subwoofer.  Nothing too crazy for my shop system.  Surprisingly good sound from such a modest system.  The SP-BS22-LR's have a lot going for them.  It's one of those speaker deals that sounds to good to be true but I can testify that the performance exceeds the cost by a healthy margin.  The Pioneer speakers work perfectly for me out in the shop.

smata67

« Reply #885 on: 3 Aug 2015, 12:42 am »

smata67

« Reply #886 on: 23 Aug 2015, 07:39 pm »
On again.  Everyone should own a pair of these at this price.

MCM_Fan

« Reply #887 on: 24 Aug 2015, 06:18 am »
On again.  Everyone should own a pair of these at this price.

Currently $87.99 with free shipping from Amazon.  I already have two pair, both with the Dennis Murphy mods I described here.  I paid $79.99 and $65.00 for my two pair, plus the cost of the mods.  I'm listening to them right now (Death Cab for Cutie's Kintsugi) and they continue to impress me.  $87.99 is the lowest price I've see on them since the ridiculous sale prices a year ago when I snagged my second pair for $65.00.

Here's what I'm running them with:

Top to bottom:

BIC Beam Box FM10 Directional Antenna
 Apple Mac Mini mid-2007
 Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 100
 Acurus R10 Preamp
 Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Tuner
 Sony DVP-NS3100ES SACD Player
 G.A.S. Son of Ampzilla Power Amp
 Panamax M5300EX Power Conditioner

Speakers - Modified Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
 Rack - Salamander Synergy S30

Since I have just under $1000 in the entire system, including the speaker stands, rack, cables and computer, I think it qualifies for cheap and cheerful status. Actually, I personally have less than $700 in it. The Cambridge Dacmagic 100 is the most expensive piece, and it was a Christmas present. I did not set out with a sub-$1000 budget for this system, but that's where it came out.  It wasn't available at the time, but if I was looking to go even cheaper, I'd go got the Schiit ModiII Uber DAC at $149.00.  That would bring my system cost down to $850.

I got lucky on many of the items. The Magnum Dynalab tuner, Panamax power conditioner, Salamander Synergy rack and speaker stands were all Goodwill finds. The Mac Mini was picked up for $60 off Craigslist, and after upgrades I installed, I still have less than $100 in the computer, including SW. The Sony SACD Player and Acurus R10 Preamp were also local Craigslists finds and very favorable prices.  The Son of Ampzilla was picked up from a local vintage audio dealer. It needed some work, so I got it for $125. The work is ongoing, but it's at a listenable state for now. I'll pick up the restoration again this winter.

All that said, I'm looking to upgrade to Andrew's Elac Debut line when they come out next month.  The only question is: should I go for the B5s or the slightly bigger B6s?  The upgrade is not an indictment of the little Pioneers in any way.  As has been mentioned, the Elac's while a tremendous bargain, are more expensive than the Pioneers (especially when they go on sale).  If you can't afford the $229 price for the Elacs, definitely snag a pair of the Pioneers while they are on sale.  I plan to keep one pair of the Pioneers for myself and the other pair will go to my girlfriend's little cabin in the woods.  It will be interesting to do an A/B comparison between the modified Pioneers and the Elacs.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #888 on: 24 Aug 2015, 11:57 am »
All that said, I'm looking to upgrade to Andrew's Elac Debut line when they come out next month.  The only question is: should I go for the B5s or the slightly bigger B6s?  The upgrade is not an indictment of the little Pioneers in any way.  As has been mentioned, the Elac's while a tremendous bargain, are more expensive than the Pioneers (especially when they go on sale).  If you can't afford the $229 price for the Elacs, definitely snag a pair of the Pioneers while they are on sale.  I plan to keep one pair of the Pioneers for myself and the other pair will go to my girlfriend's little cabin in the woods.  It will be interesting to do an A/B comparison between the modified Pioneers and the Elacs.

That would be great if you could share your comparison thoughts when you get the ELAC speakers. As far as whether to go with the B5 or B6, the B5's were so impressive at Newport I'm not sure the B6's would be all that much better. But the price is not a huge jump and if you have a big room then maybe the B6's would be the choice but I'm thinking if the Pioneers were sufficient then the B5's will be more than enough. I have a pair of B5's on preorder and anticipate getting them in my office shop...

smata67

« Reply #889 on: 24 Aug 2015, 12:04 pm »
I bought the parts after you posted the how-to, just have not gotten around to it.  They are actually quite nice even in stock.

Currently $87.99 with free shipping from Amazon.  I already have two pair, both with the Dennis Murphy mods I described here.  I paid $79.99 and $65.00 for my two pair, plus the cost of the mods.  I'm listening to them right now (Death Cab for Cutie's Kintsugi) and they continue to impress me.  $87.99 is the lowest price I've see on them since the ridiculous sale prices a year ago when I snagged my second pair for $65.00.

Here's what I'm running them with:

Top to bottom:

BIC Beam Box FM10 Directional Antenna
 Apple Mac Mini mid-2007
 Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 100
 Acurus R10 Preamp
 Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Tuner
 Sony DVP-NS3100ES SACD Player
 G.A.S. Son of Ampzilla Power Amp
 Panamax M5300EX Power Conditioner

Speakers - Modified Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
 Rack - Salamander Synergy S30

Since I have just under $1000 in the entire system, including the speaker stands, rack, cables and computer, I think it qualifies for cheap and cheerful status. Actually, I personally have less than $700 in it. The Cambridge Dacmagic 100 is the most expensive piece, and it was a Christmas present. I did not set out with a sub-$1000 budget for this system, but that's where it came out.  It wasn't available at the time, but if I was looking to go even cheaper, I'd go got the Schiit ModiII Uber DAC at $149.00.  That would bring my system cost down to $850.

I got lucky on many of the items. The Magnum Dynalab tuner, Panamax power conditioner, Salamander Synergy rack and speaker stands were all Goodwill finds. The Mac Mini was picked up for $60 off Craigslist, and after upgrades I installed, I still have less than $100 in the computer, including SW. The Sony SACD Player and Acurus R10 Preamp were also local Craigslists finds and very favorable prices.  The Son of Ampzilla was picked up from a local vintage audio dealer. It needed some work, so I got it for $125. The work is ongoing, but it's at a listenable state for now. I'll pick up the restoration again this winter.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #890 on: 24 Aug 2015, 09:25 pm »
That would be great if you could share your comparison thoughts when you get the ELAC speakers. As far as whether to go with the B5 or B6, the B5's were so impressive at Newport I'm not sure the B6's would be all that much better. But the price is not a huge jump and if you have a big room then maybe the B6's would be the choice but I'm thinking if the Pioneers were sufficient then the B5's will be more than enough. I have a pair of B5's on preorder and anticipate getting them in my office shop...

I think a more interesting comparison might be between the Elacs and the newer Affordable Accuracy monitor I'm currently selling.  It has a 6.5" woofer and much deeper bass response than the Pioneers.  I know I'll be doing that comparison!   If I think the Elac is better, I'll probably quietly retreat from the budget market.   If I think my monitor is as good or better, I'll probably raise the price.  :D

rlee8394

« Reply #891 on: 24 Aug 2015, 10:40 pm »
Dennis,

Newer Affordable Accuracy monitor???? Will you have it at CAF this weekend?

Ron

rlee8394

« Reply #892 on: 24 Aug 2015, 10:41 pm »
Dennis,

Just saw it on your website. Looks very nice. I'm gonna have to grab a pair of these!!!

Ron

MCM_Fan

« Reply #893 on: 24 Aug 2015, 10:49 pm »
I think a more interesting comparison might be between the Elacs and the newer Affordable Accuracy monitor I'm currently selling.  It has a 6.5" woofer and much deeper bass response than the Pioneers.  I know I'll be doing that comparison!   If I think the Elac is better, I'll probably quietly retreat from the budget market.   If I think my monitor is as good or better, I'll probably raise the price.  :D

Dennis,

I look forward to this comparison.  Will you be comparing your new Affordable Accuracy monitors to the Elac B5 ($229.99, 5.25" woofer) or B6 ($279.99, 6.5" woofer)?  Andrew is a very talented designer, no doubt about it, but he's always working within the budget/profit structure of a large corporation.  That can be both good and bad.  As you proved with your modifications to his Pioneer SP-BS-22-LR speakers, if you're willing to throw a little more money, and a little sweat equity at these inexpensive speakers, they can be made even better.  The good news is that there are some great, affordable speakers getting more and more people, especially young people, interested in great sounding audio on a budget they can afford.  Growing the market is something that benefits us all.  Kudos to both you and Andrew.  Keep up the good work!

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #894 on: 25 Aug 2015, 12:26 am »
Dennis,

Newer Affordable Accuracy monitor???? Will you have it at CAF this weekend?

Ron

I'm not doing the CAF this year.  Last year proved very frustrating--none of the press would go into Internet Direct rooms except for one on-line magazine, and that review never got published.   But Jim Salk will be there with some nice stuff, and I'll be helping out there and making the rounds.  I wish I could show off the little monitors--it would be fun to see everyone hunting for a subwoofer when I started rattling hotel room pictures with a 34 Hz test tone.   

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #895 on: 25 Aug 2015, 12:27 am »
Dennis,

I look forward to this comparison.  Will you be comparing your new Affordable Accuracy monitors to the Elac B5 ($229.99, 5.25" woofer) or B6 ($279.99, 6.5" woofer)?  Andrew is a very talented designer, no doubt about it, but he's always working within the budget/profit structure of a large corporation.  That can be both good and bad.  As you proved with your modifications to his Pioneer SP-BS-22-LR speakers, if you're willing to throw a little more money, and a little sweat equity at these inexpensive speakers, they can be made even better.  The good news is that there are some great, affordable speakers getting more and more people, especially young people, interested in great sounding audio on a budget they can afford.  Growing the market is something that benefits us all.  Kudos to both you and Andrew.  Keep up the good work!

I'll listen to the 5.25" since they're closer to the price of my monitors, which is $195/pr.   

srb

« Reply #896 on: 25 Aug 2015, 06:25 am »
Currently $87.99 with free shipping from Amazon.

$87.99 with Free Expedited Shipping and NO SALES TAX outside of New York State at B&H Photo.

quattro73

« Reply #897 on: 7 Sep 2015, 03:05 am »
I've been researching these but I'm thinking my best option is to just wait for the Elac??

Don't mean to quote myself but I bought a set of Pioneer 41's off of eBay brand new for $40 shortly after I posted this.  I have enjoyed greatly. Hooked up my dad's old technics turntable recently and have been listening to his old albums.  Paired with used late 90's Sony receiver.  I think it sounds great!.  Really enjoying this.  Had a Pioneer receiver and Polk Monitors with 6 1/2 woofers back in the early 90's that I loved.  This is a great budget redo into decent audio for me after years of listening to iPod/phones etc.  Really loving these speakers.

Happy listening to all. Very glad I made this purchase!

fishboat

« Reply #898 on: 28 Nov 2016, 12:04 pm »
FYI..the Pioneer set (BS22, matching center, and sub) is Amazon's deal of the day today (11/28/16)

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #899 on: 28 Nov 2016, 10:06 pm »
If you decide to offer an Elac version of the Affordable Accuracy monitors, I'll probably spring for a pair. And I'll testify to the great value of the current AA monitors, as well as the previous (Pioneer) versions.