VMPS Larger Subs - Upgrade or Replace?

John Casler

Re: VMPS Larger Subs - Upgrade or Replace?
« Reply #40 on: 18 Jul 2011, 05:39 pm »
Thanks John. I think the amp is defective. I am sending it back for exchange. Can't wait for my new Megawoofers to get installed & get the place rocking again.

Big B, has your order and it is only a mattr of time now. :thumb:

Linkwitz Riley

« Reply #41 on: 3 Aug 2011, 02:31 pm »
Once I upgrade to the Ultramega drivers and BBPR in my Larger subs, should I use a High Pass Filter and if so, what frequency should I use?  I would be using a 24db/octave Linkwitz-Riley active filter, and I can hit the frequency very accurately if indeed this is recommended.

John Casler

« Reply #42 on: 3 Aug 2011, 05:33 pm »
Once I upgrade to the Ultramega drivers and BBPR in my Larger subs, should I use a High Pass Filter and if so, what frequency should I use?  I would be using a 24db/octave Linkwitz-Riley active filter, and I can hit the frequency very accurately if indeed this is recommended.

Hi LR,

Yes, to blend your sub to your main speakers and system you will need a high pass filter.

If you are using a HT device like a prepro or AVR then you would use the filter it provides.

If you are using the sub in a 2 channel system, then you will need a filter such as the NHT X-2 or something similar.  If you use a specific SUB AMP or some of the more recent PRO AMPS, you will find that they generally have high pass filters in them.

As far as what frequency, you should use, it will depend on your usage.

If it is for HT and the PrePro/AVR is used as a XO then it will be you choice as to what works best with your mains.  80Hz is the most common, but depending on the capability of your mains and how the system couples with the room and the sub placement, you may want to experiment.

If it is 2 channel, then you want as little "overlap" as possible of the frequencies produced by BOTH the sub and the mains.  If your mains are left to roll off naturally and not low passed, then you would want to find the frequency where the sub "rolls in" and the mains roll off.

The frequencies that both produce if too large can cause muddiness and wooliness due to the same frequency being launched into the room from two dissimilar distances from the ear, thus causing arrival issues.  This is not as much of a problem in HT, where bass is often transient and dynamic non musical sonics.  However if you are listening to fine bass musical passages, the detail and harmonic overtones will be distorted (muddy/boomy/wooly)

Linkwitz Riley

« Reply #43 on: 3 Aug 2011, 06:27 pm »
Sorry John, I guess I should have been more specific.  I meant a high pass filter (infrasonic, subsonic) below the tuning point of the passive radiator.  I don't know if you need to use a high pass with a Passive Radiator type sub.  I know with a bass-reflex (ported) sub, you should use one set at just one or two Hz below the port tuning frequency to protect the driver as it becomes unloaded.  I didn't know if those principles apply to passive radiator sub designs, or if you can run them without an subsonic filter just as you would with a sealed subwoofer design.

John Casler

« Reply #44 on: 3 Aug 2011, 08:43 pm »
Brian can answer your question better, but I have never heard him suggest any specific need to do so.

bsoko2

« Reply #45 on: 23 Sep 2011, 07:19 pm »
Been running my dual VMPS Large subs now for a few months. I have the Ultramegawoofers and TC Sounds 15" PR. Run both subs in stereo off a Behringer EPX4000 with modified fans. Was using the Anti Mode 8033 with them and now am using a SVS AS-EQ1 (Audyssey) and the results are steller. The BEST my 6000+ cu ft room has heard to date. Kicks Butt!

Linkwitz Riley

« Reply #46 on: 23 Sep 2011, 08:48 pm »
Glad to hear you are happy with your setup.  (told you that you didn't need two sub amps!)  Why the move to the (twice as expensive) EQ1 from the antimode?  Better integration with your main speakers?  What mains are you running?

I'll be up and running with my upgraded dual Largers (Ultras), as soon as my BBPR's arrive next week.  Brian said he shipped them to me yesterday but I haven't seen any tracking info to confirm that.  I'll be running mine on a Crown K2 in stereo with my Anti Mode.  I also upgraded my RM2s and am biamping them. I'm very anxious to hear the results of all of my upgrade efforts!

bsoko2

« Reply #47 on: 23 Sep 2011, 09:46 pm »
Mains are Polk RT2000P with a CS1000P center and FX1000p surrounds and RT55 rear surrounds. The AS-EQ1 has better callibration (even tho it is flat) thruout the room then the Anti Mode. At the seat when I run a tone at 16 hz from the BD player, I get 81 hz on the spl meter.

JP78

« Reply #48 on: 23 Sep 2011, 10:11 pm »
Glad to hear you are happy with your setup.  (told you that you didn't need two sub amps!)  Why the move to the (twice as expensive) EQ1 from the antimode?  Better integration with your main speakers?  What mains are you running?

I'll be up and running with my upgraded dual Largers (Ultras), as soon as my BBPR's arrive next week.  Brian said he shipped them to me yesterday but I haven't seen any tracking info to confirm that.  I'll be running mine on a Crown K2 in stereo with my Anti Mode.  I also upgraded my RM2s and am biamping them. I'm very anxious to hear the results of all of my upgrade efforts!

Passive or active biamp on the RM2? Tubes on top and SS on bottom?

Linkwitz Riley

« Reply #49 on: 24 Sep 2011, 01:42 am »
Passive biamp using 2 SS amps.  Both are old Adcom GFA555s that have the solid thick alum faceplate with the rackmount handles built in as standard.  Not as sweet as tubes up top I'm sure, but Tony Cordesman sold me on them when he reviewed them back then.  Besides, I'm still running spiral tweeters...haven't sprung for the FST yet...too much surgery.  I just installed Neo mid panels.  I bought my RM2s around 1999.