Hello from a not so newbie.

buddyiramae

Hello from a not so newbie.
« on: 24 Aug 2010, 07:31 pm »
I just registered, finally. Hello, folks! Been lurking here a long time. I've always been a planar guy but due to new room acoustics, I'll be going back to my trusty, vintage Super Tower/Rs. They interact very well in my small music room.
It will like rediscovering the sound of VMPS. I've had them since 1995 but was stored in my stereo closet for the last ten years. I'll post my findings in the coming weeks as I play with them. Thanks in advance for accepting me.

Mike in Terrell Tx

Venkman

Re: Hello from a not so newbie.
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2010, 01:42 am »
Welcome Mike!

You must have a big closet!   

I'm a bit of a newbie here myself.  It's nice to have another /R owner on the forum.  I look forward to your posts on getting them settled in to your new room. 

After sitting so long they may be in need of a refoam.  I had to refoam the drivers and passives on mine (Super Tower /Rs circa 93 I believe.)  Best of luck getting them up and singing!

wywires

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2010, 02:02 am »
Welcome. The VMPS Supertower/R were my first high end speakers. As I recall they started out as Supertowers and then the R revision was added by me with Brian's help. This was in 1984!

In 1987, I "upgraded" to Snell Type C and then lot's of other stuff but my fondest memories of music listening was with VMPS. Great stuff!!!! I plan to go back after CES.

Cheers!

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2010, 04:03 am »
Hi Mike.

Guess I'll join the welcoming committee and echo the glad to have you here chorus.

It is great to have such a rich representation of B's past designs.

Hard to think of a living designer with this kind of following (Maybe Jim Winey of Magnaplanar, but his designs have been rather static from the beginning)

The very first VMPS I ever heard was the Super Tower R at Christopher Hansens in Bev Hills many many years ago.  Chris let me sit there in the room and listen for maybe an hour (no one else in the store except me and my friend).

When we were done, he pulled us out to another room to hear the Wilson Watt Puppies (I beleive) and the HUGE Goldmund speakers that even back then were $60,000.

Neither sounded as good as the VMPS.

JP78

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2010, 02:52 pm »
(Maybe Jim Winey of Magnaplanar, but his designs have been rather static from the beginning)

Rimshot! :drums:

:)

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2010, 02:58 pm »
Rimshot! :drums:

:)

Hope that didn't come out wrong.  Much respect for Jim and he has a HUGE following.

I was just saying that there isn't much difference in the legacy speakers from years ago.

JP78

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2010, 04:21 pm »
No no, I thought that was some play on words since the Maggies have planar panels and ribbon tweeters...if I misunderstood then either I have a bad sense of humor, you unwittingly made a play on words, or both! :)

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2010, 06:23 pm »
No no, I thought that was some play on words since the Maggies have planar panels and ribbon tweeters...if I misunderstood then either I have a bad sense of humor, you unwittingly made a play on words, or both! :)

Let's go with me being unwitting :lol: :lol: :lol:

buddyiramae

« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2010, 07:26 pm »
Thank you'll for the warm welcome!
Listened to the ST/Rs over the weekend & am impressed. They sounded great after I found the proper spot for them.
Took over 3-hrs of tweaking to get them situated where I like them. Much more placement friendly than the Carver ALS that took several months only to end in frustration.
Venkman, you're correct in your assumption regarding foam rot. It was all good on Sunday, then Monday when I finally turned up the volume on Pink Floyd's Money, the PR foam surrounds started to blow out through the bottom cavity. The chunks were soft & pasty! Good news is that the remaining active woofer-surrounds are near mint. Go figure. Interestingly enough, at normal listening level one is hard pressed to tell that the PRs are shot. Next month when I order the PRs, will ask for help regarding R&R, so I don't screw up anything. Thanks for this board.

Mike.