NS-15 Tube Stereo Amplifier: Some important information.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
First, the NS-15 is a fantastic amplifier. While being entry level, you get more bang for your buck than with most other tube amps. The reasons:

1) 100% Hand made and point to point wired
2) custom colors available at NO additional cost
3) Only three tubes! A dream to tube roll with.
4) IEC power socket
5) 15 watts per channel- enough for good volume with a wide range of speakrs
6) That 60's tube sound: Warm, romantic- but with more linearity than the early amps.
7) Adjustable feedback: Matches the amp to your speakers.
8] Automatic biasing or DC biasing available
9) Extremely cool running
10) Integrated versions are available

The NS-15 can be considered an entry level amplifier ONLY regarding the base model. There are tons of options and ways to sculpt it to your needs.

However, let's discuss the base model for now. As stated, the base model has a classic tube tone to it. A classic tone refers to how many of the vintage Magnavox & RCA consoles used to sound: Easy on the ears, smooth, non-grating. In short, very relaxing & romantic. The base NS-15 is similar, but offers more slam by extending the bottom end slightly.

If you purchase a base model NS-15, do not expect it to be a small version of a SEP-20 or NS-40. There are enormous differences in regards to sound. However, build quality remains exactly the same. I NEVER skimp on internal work or component quality. Niteshade amplifiers are very reliable. Even UPS can't kill them.

Our other amplifier models do not have the classic tube tonality, however we do have an upgrade that can switch it in or out of the circuit. For example, the SEP-20 or NS-40 provide exceptional dynamics, clarity, speed and transparency. These amps are designed to provide accurate imagery, import ALL information from a digital or analog sources perfectly and provide a sense of 'being there' like nothing else can. Electro/Mechanically, all models are designed to be rugged and efficient.

Note: There is a NS-15 upgrade that will provide the same tone quality as our more expensive models. Please inquire if you're interested. 
« Last Edit: 2 Aug 2012, 10:25 pm by Niteshade »

Guy 13

Re: NS-15 Tube Stereo Amplifier: Some important information.
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2012, 02:47 am »
First, the NS-15 is a fantastic amplifier. While being entry level, you get more bang for your buck than with most other tube amps. The reasons:

2) custom colors available at NO additional cost
3) Only three tubes! A dream to tube roll with.
4) IEC power socket
5) 15 watts per channel- enough for good volume with a wide range of speakrs
6) That 60's tube sound: Warm, romantic- but with more linearity than the early amps.
7) Adjustable feedback: Matches the amp to your speakers.
8] Automatic biasing or DC biasing available
9) Extremely cool running
10) Integrated versions are available

The NS-15 can be considered an entry level amplifier ONLY regarding the base model. There are tons of options and ways to sculpt it to your needs.

However, let's discuss the base model for now. As stated, the base model has a classic tube tone to it. A classic tone refers to how many of the vintage Magnavox & RCA consoles used to sound: Easy on the ears, smooth, non-grating. In short, very relaxing & romantic. The base NS-15 is similar, but offers more slam by extending the bottom end slightly.

If you purchase a base model NS-15, do not expect it to be a small version of a SEP-20 or NS-40. There are enormous differences in regards to sound.

For example, the SEP-20 or NS-40 provide exceptional dynamics, clarity, speed and transparency. These amps are designed to provide accurate imagery, import ALL information from a digital or analog sources perfectly...

Note: There is a NS-15 upgrade that will provide the same tone quality as our more expensive models. Please inquire if you're interested.

Hi Blair and all Audio Circle members.

I am inquiring for the NS-10/15 upgrade to get the same tone quality as your more expensive models (SEP-40 / NS-40).

Axiously waiting for your answer.
In the mean time, have a nice day.

Guy 13

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2012, 10:59 pm »
Guy,

My most recent email didn't get through. The problem seems to be on your end. I don't know if the PM messages will get through- so I thought I'd let you know here.

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2012, 09:55 am »
Guy,

My most recent email didn't get through. The problem seems to be on your end. I don't know if the PM messages will get through- so I thought I'd let you know here.

Hi Blair.
A few minutes ago I've sent you a PM.
Guy

steve f

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2012, 04:29 am »
Please comment further on "deluxe" version of amp. I don't need alot of power, but I am interested in a modern voiced amp, and perhaps a true integrated.

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2012, 08:54 am »
Please comment further on "deluxe" version of amp. I don't need alot of power, but I am interested in a modern voiced amp, and perhaps a true integrated.
Hi Steve and all Audio Circle members.

I am not sure if this post is for me or for someone else or for everyone,
but you can find some useful information on Niteshade Audio website:

http://www.nsaudio.us/Home/prices

Good search.

Guy 13

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2012, 11:30 am »
The standard NS-15 is a classic voiced amp. AKA: 1960's Magnavox.

An upgraded NS-15 shares the same B+ power supply and circuit. What changes are the output transformers. Full bandwidth transformers are used that provide modern voicing and maintain an ideal interface to the tube.

Solid state rectification is used as well to provide excellent transient response characteristics and improved dynamic range.

DC biasing is used instead of cathode biasing to improve efficiency as well as provide a cleaner signal for high resolution recordings.

Putting this all together, an upgraded NS-15 is an ideal single ended amplifier that provides a solid 15 watts per channel with hardly any signature of its own.

steve f

« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2012, 09:21 pm »
Thank you Nitrshade. Now my next question, although it seems "loaded" really isn't. If someone doesn't already own the NS-15, and for owners it's a logical step up, is the price now close to the 20 WPC SEP amp? Might be better off with a SS regulated twenty watter. Too bad I haven't had a chance to hear any of your products yet.

Steve

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2012, 10:34 pm »

There are tons of options and ways to sculpt it to your needs.

Quote: 1) 100% Hand made and point to point wired
Please inform you use hard wire, not low quality stranded wiring.

A pleasure to read a so detailed report from a manufacturer.
Thanks for your no bull policy. :thumb:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #9 on: 30 Aug 2012, 11:11 am »
Presently, a SEP20 is $1250. An upgraded NS-15 is $995. The base model NS-15 is $688.

A upgraded NS-15 will be close in quality to a SEP20 in regards to frequency response, fluidity, imaging, etc.. 

The SEP20 is a very popular amplifier due to the low price, high performance and the luxury of having 20 single ended watts per channel. I have found that having parallel output tubes improves sound quality by improving instrument spacing during complex passages. Sometimes when amps have difficulty reproducing something that's busy, the audio looses articulation. Another benefit of parallel tubes will be noticed with notes that have long a duration.

Best upgrade for the two amplifiers: Regulated D.C. filaments.

Thank you Nitrshade. Now my next question, although it seems "loaded" really isn't. If someone doesn't already own the NS-15, and for owners it's a logical step up, is the price now close to the 20 WPC SEP amp? Might be better off with a SS regulated twenty watter. Too bad I haven't had a chance to hear any of your products yet.

Steve

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #10 on: 30 Aug 2012, 11:15 am »
I do not use solid wire and it should NOT be used if possible.

Reasons:
1) Doesn't handle bending stress well at all
2) Less of a contact surface for soldering
3) Much, much higher provability of making cold solder connections
4) Due to nature of the wire and how it is used, making upgrades, repairs, etc.. becomes much more difficult and the jobs can become sloppy.

Quote: 1) 100% Hand made and point to point wired
Please inform you use hard wire, not low quality stranded wiring.

A pleasure to read a so detailed report from a manufacturer.
Thanks for your no bull policy. :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 30 Aug 2012, 10:11 pm »
I do not use solid wire and it should NOT be used if possible.

Reasons:
1) Doesn't handle bending stress well at all
2) Less of a contact surface for soldering
3) Much, much higher provability of making cold solder connections
4) Due to nature of the wire and how it is used, making upgrades, repairs, etc.. becomes much more difficult and the jobs can become sloppy.
Thanks for informing it, I unaware these details.
I mention it because I had some famous stranded interconnect and it rusted black in 2/3 weeks in my wet weather.
So I afraid to use stranded wire inside a tube amp as the tension is hi.
What stranded wire do you recommend??

steve f

« Reply #12 on: 30 Aug 2012, 10:49 pm »
Thanks so much for the evaluation differences between your two smallest SEP amps. I asked a question kind of like asking a parent to choose between his children. Since I'm a newcomer on your forum, I'm just trying to get up to speed about your products to help me make the best choice for me. Can I ask about the sonic differences between the SEP and Pentode PP amps? I've tried traditional SET amps and find them rather "syrupy" and lifeless. However a lot of ultra linear amps seem to lack detail. I like lots of detail and air, but enjoy some slam dynamics too. ( I also prefer a cool running long tube life amp. I guess I'm asking for a lot)

So thanks in advance. I would also appreciate words by those owners who have both product lines.

Steve

PS:I'm working my way through a lot of the old posts. A good education.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #13 on: 31 Aug 2012, 04:02 pm »
WOW! That's amazing the wire would corrode so easily. It may have been a defective jacket. I have some old vinyl see-through speaker cable that turned green due to a defect with the vinyl.

I do not have a wire manufacturer preference but do prefer tinned multi-strand copper over bare copper.

Thanks for informing it, I unaware these details.
I mention it because I had some famous stranded interconnect and it rusted black in 2/3 weeks in my wet weather.
So I afraid to use stranded wire inside a tube amp as the tension is hi.
What stranded wire do you recommend??

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #14 on: 31 Aug 2012, 04:47 pm »
If you like slam, a push-pull amplifier such as our NS-40 is a great idea. There are other models available as well if more power is required. My push-pull designs do have single ended continuity as well as the positive attributes of wide dynamic range, exceptionally good power focusing and excellent resolution.

A SE or SEP amplifier will offer more liquidity but less in the department of slam and dynamic range. A SEP-30 fills this gap and provides enough current that people would swear it was push-pull in regards to the ability to resolve when the going gets tough.

I don't have anything that's clinical, thin or syrupy.  You'll find that a well developed pentode amplifier is going to sound lively, rich and fast.  Clinical sound is most often the result of various matching issues within the amplifier as well as the kind (characteristics) of output transformer used. I NEVER use ultra-linear taps on output transformers. I find UL & triode modes are asking for trouble in regards to performance.

Thanks so much for the evaluation differences between your two smallest SEP amps. I asked a question kind of like asking a parent to choose between his children. Since I'm a newcomer on your forum, I'm just trying to get up to speed about your products to help me make the best choice for me. Can I ask about the sonic differences between the SEP and Pentode PP amps? I've tried traditional SET amps and find them rather "syrupy" and lifeless. However a lot of ultra linear amps seem to lack detail. I like lots of detail and air, but enjoy some slam dynamics too. ( I also prefer a cool running long tube life amp. I guess I'm asking for a lot)

So thanks in advance. I would also appreciate words by those owners who have both product lines.

Steve

PS:I'm working my way through a lot of the old posts. A good education.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 1 Sep 2012, 06:00 am »
Thanks for inform, I appreciated.
If the speaker cable is copper the green colour may come from the oxidated copper, a by product from electric current flowing and oxigene in the metal.
I had some Swiss made Supra 10 speaker cable from 1993 and it yet free of oxidation, and its strands are over 2600 very thin wires.
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2012, 09:20 am by FULLRANGEMAN »

Guy 13

« Reply #16 on: 23 Sep 2012, 04:24 am »
FRIENDLY REMINDER  !

The DC filament option/up-grade is it only to reduce the hum
or it does more or something else?
What about choke filtering, how would you describe the improvement on the sound quality ?

Guy 13
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2012, 11:02 am by Guy 13 »

Guy 13

« Reply #17 on: 27 Sep 2012, 11:04 am »
FRIENDLY REMINDER  !

The DC filament option/up-grade is it only to reduce the hum
or it does more or something else?
What about choke filtering, how would you describe the improvement on the sound quality ?

Guy 13

FRIENDLY REMINDER !

STILL WAITING FOR AN ANSWER OR COMMENT  !

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #18 on: 27 Sep 2012, 12:13 pm »
Sorry- I have been extremely busy lately.

The DC filament upgrade eliminates all AC around the audio amplification circuits. AC propagates like RF and can go from the heater to the cathode.  DC voltages to not propagate or transmit at all.

If the amp's or preamp's high voltage supply is providing pure DC and there is AC on the filaments, it is possible to hear a hum or buzz in the system. The amount greatly depends on how good a tube's cathode/heater insulation is. It has been my experience that it varies greatly from tube to tube. The best and simplest approach to a cure is to use DC on tube filaments. I have also noticed that even if the noise is mostly inaudible, removing all AC influence maximizes resolution by providing a nearly 100% black backdrop. It can provide a substantial sonic improvement.

Chokes: C-L-C filters can be very good. Chokes even regulate DC to a certain degree. I mainly use R-C filtering since it works just as well and costs much less. Some of my models use chokes when an older power supply design is created.

Will a choke improve sound quality? They would greatly improve sound quality in amps made in the 50's and earlier because filter capacitors didn't have the capacity they do now. Presently- I do not believe there is much benefit. I like to use them in nostalgic builds. They add flare, make an amp look chunky and I can use some nifty smaller capacitors in place of the big electrolytics. Chokes have their place, but not everywhere.

Guy 13

« Reply #19 on: 27 Sep 2012, 12:47 pm »
Sorry- I have been extremely busy lately.

The DC filament upgrade eliminates all AC around the audio amplification circuits. AC propagates like RF and can go from the heater to the cathode.  DC voltages to not propagate or transmit at all.

If the amp's or preamp's high voltage supply is providing pure DC and there is AC on the filaments, it is possible to hear a hum or buzz in the system. The amount greatly depends on how good a tube's cathode/heater insulation is. It has been my experience that it varies greatly from tube to tube. The best and simplest approach to a cure is to use DC on tube filaments. I have also noticed that even if the noise is mostly inaudible, removing all AC influence maximizes resolution by providing a nearly 100% black backdrop. It can provide a substantial sonic improvement.

Chokes: C-L-C filters can be very good. Chokes even regulate DC to a certain degree. I mainly use R-C filtering since it works just as well and costs much less. Some of my models use chokes when an older power supply design is created.

Will a choke improve sound quality? They would greatly improve sound quality in amps made in the 50's and earlier because filter capacitors didn't have the capacity they do now. Presently- I do not believe there is much benefit. I like to use them in nostalgic builds. They add flare, make an amp look chunky and I can use some nifty smaller capacitors in place of the big electrolytics. Chokes have their place, but not everywhere.

Thanks Blair.
This is the answers I was looking for.
Thanks for your time,
sorry I have have interrupted your busy schedule.

Guy 13