Welcome to the Hypex Owners Circle!

LostInPA

Re: Welcome to the Hypex Owners Circle!
« Reply #40 on: 7 May 2012, 12:31 am »
rogueaudio.com is using Hypex UcD modules in their Medusa and Hydra two-channel amps, both of which sport tube input stages.  Nice layout (see the photo on the Medusa/Hydra page) and reasonable prices compared to other fully assembled amps using Hypex modules.  Two reviews noted, one print only, the other with a link. 

genjamon

« Reply #41 on: 7 May 2012, 10:12 pm »
Those of us who have committed to the NC400 amps must all be thinking the same thing I've been thinking......what preamp will not hamper the performance of my amplifiers? (when I get them)

I bought a Jeff Rowland Capri in anticipation and intend to start with that but my thoughts are already on how to afford the Mola Mola preamp.

Does anyone have other suggestions? I want minimum 4 imputs, nice remote control that does more than volume up and down, and would like on board phono and DAC. My Capri already fills all of those requirements except for the DAC.

I already know about THE DUDE but I'm turned off by the lame remote and the size of the unit. Plus it has no phono.

Am I right that you have been thinking about this too? What will you use?

I've been pretty impressed with the transparency of my Horn Shoppe photocell volume control/buffer pre.  It's called The Truth.  Of course, I'm curious if a good tube buffer, perhaps the battery Dodd one might be up to the task.

I've ordered the Ncore modules and power supplies, so I'll find out whenever they arrive and I assemble them with my very meager DIY and machinist skills and tools.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: 8 May 2012, 12:18 am »
I've been pretty impressed with the transparency of my Horn Shoppe photocell volume control/buffer pre.  It's called The Truth.  Of course, I'm curious if a good tube buffer, perhaps the battery Dodd one might be up to the task.
You will most certianly want the most transparent that you have.

Please be sure to post some photos of your build in the "Show Us Your Core-NCore!" thread.

genjamon

« Reply #43 on: 8 May 2012, 06:44 pm »
It won't be very pretty, given my skills and tools, but I'll try to take some pics.  I might try to repurpose an old amplifier chassis at first rather than buying new.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: 8 May 2012, 06:47 pm »
It won't be very pretty, given my skills and tools, but I'll try to take some pics.  I might try to repurpose an old amplifier chassis at first rather than buying new.
It will sound the same though.   :P

mjock3

« Reply #45 on: 9 May 2012, 07:05 pm »
Just received notification that mine are on the way :rotflmao:!!! Can't wait to get started on them.

Mark  :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #46 on: 9 May 2012, 07:14 pm »
Just received notification that mine are on the way :rotflmao:!!! Can't wait to get started on them.

Congrats!   :thumb:

I sure do look forward getting my second pair. 

genjamon

« Reply #47 on: 9 May 2012, 07:24 pm »

When did you order yours?

roscoeiii

« Reply #48 on: 9 May 2012, 07:29 pm »

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Just need to figure out the best search terms for a non-working amp on eBay, craigslist, etc...

genjamon

« Reply #49 on: 9 May 2012, 07:39 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking the same. Just need to figure out the best search terms for a non-working amp on eBay, craigslist, etc...

I need to scrounge through my parents' basement.  I think I have a few old pieces down there I could remove all the innards.  Actually, one of them is an 70's radio tuner that might look kinda nice on my shelf.  Hmm, gotta see what I can come up with there before hitting Ebay. 

Good luck with your search  :thumb:

mjock3

« Reply #50 on: 9 May 2012, 08:24 pm »
genjamon,

I ordered them March 24th, week 18 ship date.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #51 on: 9 May 2012, 09:32 pm »
Here's a question for those who have already received their NC400s.
I remember someone mentioning being hit with a $70 Customs COD on delivery. Was that your experience? I want to know what to anticipate just because I'm like that.

Naturally I won't be refusing them because of that charge.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #52 on: 9 May 2012, 09:34 pm »
Here's a question for those who have already received their NC400s.
I remember someone mentioning being hit with a $70 Customs COD on delivery. Was that your experience? I want to know what to anticipate just because I'm like that.

Naturally I won't be refusing them because of that charge.

Yes and no legal way around it.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #53 on: 9 May 2012, 10:00 pm »
Are you implying there are illegal ways?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #54 on: 9 May 2012, 10:31 pm »

PeteG

« Reply #55 on: 10 May 2012, 12:33 am »
When I put my order in, I seen nothing about a customs COD charge.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #56 on: 10 May 2012, 12:37 am »
When I put my order in, I seen nothing about a customs COD charge.
That's because it's not done on their (shipping) end.  It's your responsibility.  No big deal though. 

PeteG

« Reply #57 on: 10 May 2012, 12:53 am »
Your right not a big deal but I would have given the UPS person a funny look when he/she ask me for $70 bucks.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #58 on: 10 May 2012, 11:12 am »
Your right not a big deal but I would have given the UPS person a funny look when he/she ask me for $70 bucks.
Understood.

FloridaBear

« Reply #59 on: 7 Jan 2013, 09:41 pm »
My NCores shipped today. I want to thank the AudioCircle community (and jwtrace in particular) for the many, many reviews of the NCores that helped me make the decision to order. Looking forward to the build!