For Speakers on carpet...

RichardS

For Speakers on carpet...
« on: 29 Jul 2009, 05:05 pm »
For Speakers on carpet (nice Oriental wool) on a suspended wood floor, what would you recommend?

I have Piega C-10 ltd (110 pounds, curved in back). They have (three) spikes, but I've presently removed them and placed the flat bottom of the speakers on a wood platform (ER Audio) which has DH Cones facing down between the wood and the carpet (rounded point).

I'm always a sucker for experimentation. What products would you recommend as replacements?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: For Speakers on carpet...
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2009, 05:18 pm »
Hi, RichardS. I wouldn't replace anything. I would add Big Fat Dots as a decoupling interface between the wood platforms and speakers.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2010, 01:48 am by Herbie »

RichardS

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2009, 12:24 pm »
Thanks, Steve. However, I'd be concerned about the extra height (of the Dots) raising the speakers any higher -- the tweeters are already several inches above my ears. Any suggestions that would be height neutral? Thanks in advance....

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2009, 02:38 pm »
Big Fat Dots will lift the speaker barely over 1/4", which might be acoustically insignificant. Improved bottom-end linearity and definition and overall speaker improvement would likely be significant, though.

"Thin" Fat Dots, half as thick, could be used instead and would likely achieve comparable results.

If you want the speakers a little lower with superior decoupling, you might consider using Herbie's Deluxe Superior Carpet Spikes instead of the Cones/platform arrangement, with the Carpet Spikes directly against the speaker bottom and points down.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2010, 01:48 am by Herbie »