Tube Damper questions

SoCalWJS

Tube Damper questions
« on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:14 pm »
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on tube dampers for my MW Preamp, but wanted to ask a couple of questions first. I read through the website, but wanted to confirm sizes.

I have Shuguang Black Treasure CV181-Z's and a 1964 Mullard 5AR4 4 notch. If I'm reading things correctly, the BT's would need the Ultra Sonic RX-50. I see the 5AR4 listed in two different sizes, the Rx-30 and the Rx-35. Which fits better, or will either work?
Also, I wanted to check on the placement of the dampers on the BT's - is above the "shoulder" the right spot?

Equipment: MW LS-100.

Thanks!

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Tube Damper questions
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:27 pm »
Shuguang Black Treasure CV181-Z uses UltraSonic Rx-50, which fits around the widest part of the tube. 5AR4 is listed in three different sizes, because these tubes come in different sizes and shapes: slim, regular, and "fat bottle." Mullard 5AR4 4-notch tubes use size 35 damping instruments (Rx-35 or HAL-O III-35).

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

SoCalWJS

Re: Tube Damper questions
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:46 pm »
Shuguang Black Treasure CV181-Z uses UltraSonic Rx-50, which fits around the widest part of the tube. 5AR4 is listed in three different sizes, because these tubes come in different sizes and shapes: slim, regular, and "fat bottle." Mullard 5AR4 4-notch tubes use size 35 damping instruments (Rx-35 or HAL-O III-35).

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab
Wow! Thanks for the rapid reply Steve!

edit:  Order Placed!