Poll

What are the age of your Salk Sound Speakers that you own?  

1-6 months
2 (5.1%)
6 months - 1 year
1 (2.6%)
1 year to 5 years
11 (28.2%)
5 years to 10 years
16 (41%)
10 years or more
9 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 39

What are the age of your Salk Sound Speakers?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
What are the age of your Salk Sound Speakers?
« on: 30 Aug 2018, 03:47 pm »
Just as the tittle asks. What age are they?  How have they held up over time? 

mick wolfe

Re: What are the age of your Salk Sound Speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2018, 04:03 pm »
Just sold my 10+ year old SongTowers to a friend. Still performing beautifully after all these years and not sounding a bit dated by any stretch.  It's just I had to "thin the herd" as I had accumulated 5 sets of speakers and the Songs were the most difficult to move and store. Plus I'm trending to even more efficient speakers these days. ( 95 db and above)

ccotenj

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2018, 05:35 pm »
mine were “born” just slightly over 8 years ago.

ht2-tl’s, ht2d, custom surrounds to match.  ht2-tl’s pictured on jim’s page, the crotch mahogany ones. 

http://salksound.com/model.php?model=Veracity+HT2-TL

they are as good as they were the day they arrived.  i have no reason to think that will change.  these speakers ended a very long journey for me.

the cabinets do have a few small “personalization” marks.  stuff happens.

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2018, 06:44 pm »
Calling Mr. Marbles ...

I think I first saw and heard Rob's special HT3's ~12 years ago with the Odyssey Kraft mono's. Quite a revelation for me back then.

PSB Guy

« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2018, 07:04 pm »
My Songbirds just had their 6th birthday. Still going strong, not a scratch on them (knock on MDF).

Cornelis

nigelnaim

« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2018, 07:09 pm »
Seven year old SongTowers.  Waiting on delivery of new Song3 BeATs.

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2018, 08:25 pm »
7 years and still not bored.

How a pair of mesquite veneered Salk HT2-TL's are made:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100672.msg1015847#msg1015847

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2018, 09:49 pm »
A tad over 10 yrs. Song Towers, Song Surround Is, & a Song Center. Still looking great in std. curly cherry, and sounding better & better.

Calling Nuance...

it was his, craigsub, & funkmonkey's, "search for the ultimate speaker" thread (if I remember correctly) over on AVS that prompted me to buy unseen/heard. No regrets.

Hope all is well Brandon.  :thumb:

SCompRacer

« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2018, 03:23 am »
SS8's in Black Limba, 5 years. They still look and sound fantastic. No desire to upgrade or move on.

Austin08

« Reply #9 on: 2 Sep 2018, 06:06 am »
April next year will be the 7th birthday of my SS8. (The very 1st pair) Tried to sell them before for financial reasons but glad to be able to keep them till now. Still one of the best speakers that I have ever own, imo. (Although I think the MG 3.7i in my living room system comes pretty close in performance and cost a bit less.
« Last Edit: 3 Sep 2018, 09:20 am by Austin08 »

JDoyle

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2018, 01:11 am »
Picked up in late January, I’m very happy with my Encores... even though I have them playing almost every day, when the colder weather sets in, I’ll be getting into serious enjoyment for sure  :D

JD

dB Cooper

« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2018, 02:24 am »
A tad over 10 yrs. Song Towers, Song Surround Is, & a Song Center. Still looking great in std. curly cherry, and sounding better & better.

Your Songtowers can't possibly be 10 years old. Or so I thought until I looked it up (I won a naming contest here in '07.) You must have gotten one of the very first ones.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #12 on: 3 Sep 2018, 02:45 am »

"Your Songtowers can't possibly be 10 years old. Or so I thought until I looked it up (I won a naming contest here in '07.) You must have gotten one of the very first ones."

I remember that now.  I told Jim your name was too New Age to catch on.  Marketing is definitely my strong point. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #13 on: 3 Sep 2018, 11:22 am »
We met at Capital Audiofest a few years back BTW. I don't think Jim or Frank do that show anymore.

martyo

« Reply #14 on: 4 Sep 2018, 11:24 am »
Our HT3's are one month short of 11 years. Purchased Jim's pair at RMAF in 2007. They are South American Tineo. Still looking and sounding great.
Here's a quote from Jim back then:

We've been extremely busy lately and just now found time to take some photos of the HT3's we built for the Rocky Mountain Audiofest.

I built this pair for myself.  It is the sixth pair I built for myself since Frank Van Alstine purchased my personal pair back in March.  Of the five previous pairs, I had one in my home for 24 hours before it was sold.  The other four never even made it that far.

So when we finished these, I told myself that I was not going to sell them at RMAF.  They were mine and I was going to keep them.

But when Marty's wife asked whether I could build another pair just like them, I told her that I was not sure I could get any more of this veneer.  I purchased a batch with just enough for two pairs and this was the second pair built.  And I couldn't guarantee I could find any more.

She then indicated she wanted this pair.  I told her they were not for sale.  But she persisted.  After about a half and hour, we finally agreed that she could have them provided she wait for delivery until I had a chance to build another pair for myself.  So Marty will just have to wait a while longer.

I think that was the first show for the Songtowers.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #15 on: 4 Sep 2018, 01:29 pm »
My SongTowers, now on permanent loan to my son, are 11 years old.  I ordered them in August 2007, and first heard them early in September.

I had first heard Dennis's original ST prototype sometime in the spring of 2007.  Even though I wasn't really looking to buy new speakers, it took me less than 10 seconds to be completely captivated by their sound.

Two years ago, I bought Veracity STs.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #16 on: 4 Sep 2018, 11:21 pm »
We met at Capital Audiofest a few years back BTW. I don't think Jim or Frank do that show anymore.

Actually, they'll both be at the CAF in November, but not together.  I'm still debating whether I should make the scene with a pair of BMR's.  Those show rooms are expensive.

Marbles

« Reply #17 on: 5 Sep 2018, 12:13 pm »
HT3's, summer of 2006
The speakers sound as good as the day they were born, probably better.
The system does not sound as good because I no longer have the Kraft mono 400 amps, nor do I have a decent pre, just an integrated HT receiver.

Marbles

« Reply #18 on: 5 Sep 2018, 12:17 pm »
I should add that I also have some nOrh marble 9.0 in a column configuration, the only ones ever made and Dennis Murphy did the XO's for them.  These too sound amazing.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy any DMurphy or Jim Salk speaker.

ccotenj

« Reply #19 on: 5 Sep 2018, 02:00 pm »
that last post reminds me.

i also have a pair of jordans that jim made for me about 7 years ago.  my wife's workstation.