Vandersteen Model 2 Model 3 crossover components

mgsboedmisodpc2

Vandersteen Model 2 Model 3 crossover components
« on: 20 Feb 2017, 12:17 am »
Mundorf caps 
Clarity Capacitors
copper foil
Teflon dielectric caps

are crossover components within loud speaker  like VR35 but what is the quality of the crossover components within MODEL 2 and 3 speakers and has anyone ever upgraded said components with improved results.

saygrr

Re: Vandersteen Model 2 Model 3 crossover components
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2017, 04:05 am »
I have seen the circuit board for the crossover . Buying higher quality capacitors means the capacitors will be physically larger. I think that will be a problem. There is not much room on the board or where the board is located. If your looking for higher quality speakers may I suggest Odyssey audio. They use very high quality parts and the price of their speakers are incredibly reasonable for what you get. I do not own Odyssey equipment. I have heard their products on about 4 different occasions and always liked what I heard.   

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2017, 03:36 pm »
here is a model one xover

here is a Vandersteen 2Ci xover
The model 2 xover has one component with the vandersteen name written on it that is easily visible

here is a VCC-1 xover pic from audio circle

ctsooner

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2017, 01:43 pm »
Guys, don't play with the crossovers. I have been in touch on this subject with Richard a lot over the last few months. He's building my Quatro's as most know and I have asked about 'component upgrades' in the cross over.  He listens to nearly everything on the market regardless of cost to see if he can make things better.  He constantly tweeks as we all know.  Most often he doesn't even talk about it or discuss it, he just makes little upgrades to things.  Most designers do this. I just sent my amp back to have the internal crossover installed and they upgraded a few things.  Can't wait to get it all in the house and set up...

Anyways, Richard choses components based on sound and not cost.  I know a couple of guys who like to tinker and they upgraded caps to Mudorf's and ruined the sound. They went back to the less expensive caps that were OEM. 

Richard is one of the top speaker designers of all time.  There is a reason for that.  You may think he's making concessions in the lower priced speakers and that you can make them better.  Maybe to someone's ears they are better, but they aren't what Richard feel is better sound. Folks give him crap for using his barrier strips for connection too, but he actually has auditioned other connections from Cardas to WBT.  He choses what he feel is best. 

I speak often to a DAC designer and he offers folks the options of different caps (they seem to matter the most to the sound at this level).  He loves Mundorf's for their open sound and offering a huge soundstage, but feels they aren't as warm sounding in his DAC's.  They cost a lot more than the other cap upgrades, but most seem to like the warmer sound of the other upgraded caps (Black cat I think they call them).  Both the upgraded caps are better than his stock caps, but even the stock caps sound great and the price difference just isn't worth it for many as it's hundreds more. 

Good luck playing as some just can't help themselves and I respect that.  I used to play with speakers many years ago and I always liked what I did better than stock until I spent a lot of time with the upgraded speakers and then switched back to hear the differences.  Often times in audio or life you don't know what you have until you no longer have it ;)....Just sharing the 'other side' of things.

Please post your thoughts on any upgrades you make though as they may just be better to your ears.  Using top end components can make a big difference in sound in many products. Just look at the Aesthetix's signature line. Just upgrading components puts them in a totally different league. Guess you won't know for sure until you do it.  :)

Gbob

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2017, 01:24 am »
'Often times in audio or life you don't know what you have until you no longer have it'.

Wasn't that Joni Mitchel?

ctsooner

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2017, 03:11 pm »
That has been said by a lot of folks Bob. lol...After getting hit with Transverse Myelitis, caused by MS nearly 11 years ago, I had to learn to live in the moment.  I started to slow down and appreciate the little things.  Audio was and has been one of those things.  I have been able to fully appreciate what I have, but also what others have.  These forums give me things to pull back and think about.  Even if I've posted something negative about someone elses gear because I haven't like it in the past, I still will go listen again. I will be out at my local place today to see if I can audition the Focal Sophia's as I have not liked their high end since they started to call the company Focal, but I was told to go listen again.  Open mind....has nothing to do with this thread, but is consistent with your post, lol.  Hope you are loving my old Treo's!!!!  miss them big time lol

RandyH

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2017, 04:20 pm »
Do you have your new Quatros yet?

ctsooner

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2017, 01:14 pm »
Not yet guys.  I told Richard to hold off for a bit as I am still in a bit of a travel season so I thought it best for him to get other orders out.  My cabinet was painted back in Dec, so it gets to cure and harden a bit too, which I love.  I'm going to have the cabinets nano ceramic coated to harden them even more and it will give them incredible depth and they will look wet 100% of the time.  It's the best car finished you can get and what they use on show cars now. 

I do promise you that I will have a full review on the sites I post once I get them and they are fully broken in.  I think my amp will be sent back to me by Ayre this week as they've had it for installing the cross over.

I have also spoken to Richard and decided to keep the internal bi wire Audioquest Castle Rock cable as paying that much to get another run would make  a difference, but not for the cost right now.  I'm going to Audio Connections tomorrow and will audition with and without the external bi wire to hear the differences. 

RandyH

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2017, 01:27 pm »
I've had my new Quatros in my house now for one week.  More on this later.

ctsooner

« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2017, 03:58 pm »
Awesome Randy.  Any pics?  What wood or finish did you go with?  Which dealer do you use?

ctsooner

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2017, 11:26 pm »
Ok ,the Quatro's are installed.  Holy cow are they incredible.  The TReo's were great.  Loved them and I didn't even have the warmer sounding CT version.  The Quatro's look spectacular in the Audi Havana Black. They just shimmer and I'm going to install a drop light above them to show them off at night. Cant' wait.  Doing an isolated, dedicated, star grounded system with doubled up 14/3 runs.  Ground will be in earth rods and totally separate from the rest of the house. 

I was listening to Sara Brightman today and she was in the room.  The overtones were spooky.  Even the dogs were jumping at some points.  I am hearing tympany drums tone for tone and not just thump thump.  I didn't heard them on the Treo's. They just don't go down that low unless you have the matching subs.  On the Wilsons, the same cut let me hear them (on their 32k speakers or whatever the price. The new Yvette's didn't allow me to hear the drums.), but the tone different ewas not there.  I played percussion in my youth and remember the drums sounding different when you hit the heads in a different part of the head. I actually could hear the difference.  The other two in the room heard the same thing.  It was crazy and not expected.  I'm shocked at how good these already sound. I will say they are not close to broken in, but I know that any of the harshness on top will go away (it already has started).