STA-9

jai1611

Re: STA-9
« Reply #340 on: 9 Jan 2020, 02:36 am »
If it is a factory fresh, new amp the first thing to do is check to make sure the "VOLTAGE SELECTOR" is set correctly for your Electrical Power.

Checked the voltage already.

It’s not factory fresh. Got it from a friend of mine who imported it (no distributor in my country) and had been using it for a few months.

Is it supposed to click twice after powering on? Power on, blue light comes on, a click and a few seconds later, a second, softer click

seikosha

« Reply #341 on: 9 Jan 2020, 01:50 pm »
The speaker cables red and black aren't touching each other in the back are they?  It almost sounds like the protection circuitry (if there is some) is kicking in.

jai1611

« Reply #342 on: 9 Jan 2020, 03:25 pm »
Problem solved. It was the preamp. I guess the Schiit Saga+ doesn’t play nice with this amp. Plonked in a janky, old diy solid state pre and everything worked perfectly. Sounding quite nice. I’ll be using it with a pair of PMC Twenty5 24 towers. Will update this thread with listening impressions

Thanks folks

seikosha

« Reply #343 on: 9 Jan 2020, 03:44 pm »
That's odd.  I've got an original Saga that I've paired with my STA-9 and it works fine.  I wonder what it is about that Saga+ that's giving the STA-9 problems?  Glad you got it all worked out.  Keep us posted on your listening impressions.

jai1611

« Reply #344 on: 15 Jan 2020, 04:03 pm »
I’ve been listening to the STA9 with my PMC 25.24 speakers for a few days. Still early days as preamp and cables not optimised yet. Initial impressions are positive. More than enough drive, good dynamics and staging, no notable dryness in tone (which is my normal worry about class d amps). Compared to my earlier amp (Nair 5i2), timing and rhythm didn’t take a step back - that was a big positive surprise for me. Area where I need to tune the system more to match the Naim is  warmth in the midrange. I suspect I need tubes somewhere in the chain to fix that. Overall happy with the shift.

An update on the Saga+. It was a tube issue. Surprising as it had less than ten hours on it! Still not hooked it up with the Nuprime.

nac

« Reply #345 on: 27 Jan 2020, 05:35 am »
hi all,I have been using the sta 9 in mono configure for about 2 years now, I am now listening in bi amp configure for a week and Im surprised at the sound quality Im getting this way,there is  more detail and deeper soundstage,not missing power deficit, strange but  true

Eisener Bart

« Reply #346 on: 24 Apr 2020, 02:35 am »
Buy 2 pcs of STA-9 more and shift to quadro-amping, if your preamp may control 4 channels simultaneously. There will be Sound Paradise.  :green:

rustydoglim

« Reply #347 on: 24 Apr 2020, 04:01 am »
STA-9 is the best value for money high-end amp in the world.  :thumb: I don't know how, but a US dealer sold about 30 STA-9 between March and April, in the middle of COVID-19 pandemic   :scratch:

Eisener Bart

« Reply #348 on: 24 Apr 2020, 04:30 am »
STA-9 is the best value for money high-end amp in the world.  :thumb:

10 000% true.

albocan

« Reply #349 on: 14 Sep 2020, 04:21 am »
Hi! I am a happy owner of a Nuprime STA-9 amplifier. I am from Santiago, Chile and some time ago I started in the audio hobby. As you know, in this hobby one seeks to improve their system and now I decided to add an AMG PRA preamp, but I have had enormous difficulties to find one in stock. In Chile there was only one distributor, but it has been a long time since they renewed their products and I was looking at the possibility of importing one from the US, but there are very few alternatives. In Amazon and Ebay I do not locate units either. I am delighted with the brand and I belong to a group of audiophiles in my country where the brand is widely spoken of, but unfortunately there are many difficulties in acquiring their products due to the situation that I describe. I hope that in the future this situation can improve and more alternatives to buy for your products will be added.

rustydoglim

« Reply #350 on: 14 Sep 2020, 07:29 pm »
I think you have to be patient in order to acquire the AMG PRA.  Contact Edward, our sales rep/importer listed on Nuprime website.
Please don't try to purchase the item from other countries due to support issue.  Chile has currency control and other very difficult trade barrier that resulted in extremely high import duties. So the distributor has to bring the items in by "non standard channels"  :scratch: and that can take a very long time.

albocan

« Reply #351 on: 14 Sep 2020, 10:07 pm »
It is a bit strange that there is representation in Argentina and not in Chile. Argentina has very high import rates and, in fact, it is one of the South American countries that have the greatest problems when importing products, due to the costly taxes. Most of the electronic products sold in Argentina are worth 2 or 3 times what they are worth in Chile. Moreover, many Argentines cross the border to buy items in Chile, since the tariff barriers in Chile are much lower because Chile is the Latin American country with the largest number of free trade agreements with different countries in the world. What's more, I have been surprised that there are even electronic products of recognized brands, cheaper than in Europe or the USA. They should reconsider the possibility of having a representative of the brand in Chile.

trianglezerius

« Reply #352 on: 15 Sep 2020, 05:52 pm »
I finally got mine broken in and it sounds nice with the DAC-9 and Elac DBR's.

rustydoglim

« Reply #353 on: 15 Sep 2020, 10:29 pm »
Oops, my previous response confused Argentina with Chile.  We don't have a distributor/dealer in Chile but I just been contacted by a company called Delta & Omega, who wanted to be our reseller. Hopefully I can get him started soon.

John Casler

« Reply #354 on: 16 Sep 2020, 01:07 am »
I finally got mine broken in and it sounds nice with the DAC-9 and Elac DBR's.

If you look back you'll find we do a cross-promotion with ELACS, so we have quite a few combinations out there.

Glad you're enjoying yours.  :thumb:

albocan

« Reply #355 on: 16 Sep 2020, 02:48 am »
Oops, my previous response confused Argentina with Chile.  We don't have a distributor/dealer in Chile but I just been contacted by a company called Delta & Omega, who wanted to be our reseller. Hopefully I can get him started soon.

Great news! I will be attentive to the news! It would be very good to have a representative of the brand in Chile! There is a very important group of audiophiles in the country!

trianglezerius

« Reply #356 on: 2 Oct 2020, 08:41 pm »
I do know class d, in general, doesn't do decay because of its high dampening factor but does the STA_9 have decay? And isn't the STA-9 in the 300's and class d infinite?
« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2020, 12:24 pm by trianglezerius »

trianglezerius

« Reply #357 on: 4 Oct 2020, 12:26 pm »
Anyone?

I do know class d, in general, doesn't do decay because of its high dampening factor but does the STA_9 have decay? And isn't the STA-9 in the 300's and class d infinite?

John Casler

« Reply #358 on: 4 Oct 2020, 04:38 pm »
Anyone?

I tend to think the question difficult to respond to, since the STA-9 will not add or subtract "decay" from a recording.
Decay is either added at the studio, or present in the miked recording of the environment.

So, the more accurate amps will ONLY present it, if it is present.

If one hears more decay in other amp designs, it is likely phase anomalies or distortion to the original recording.

I would question, whether "damping" would have anything to do with this, except to make it more accurate.

trianglezerius

« Reply #359 on: 5 Oct 2020, 06:07 pm »
Thx for the reply. That is one aspect for the missing decay the other is the topology which every Class D amp I have heard to date does. It
seems to me with a lower damping factor, I read it's 400 on the STA-9 and every amp is above a 1,000, and with the design being more tube like I thougt this one would have decay.

I tend to think the question difficult to respond to, since the STA-9 will not add or subtract "decay" from a recording.
Decay is either added at the studio, or present in the miked recording of the environment.

So, the more accurate amps will ONLY present it, if it is present.

If one hears more decay in other amp designs, it is likely phase anomalies or distortion to the original recording.

I would question, whether "damping" would have anything to do with this, except to make it more accurate.