PS Audio and NCore

firedog

Re: PS Audio and NCore
« Reply #40 on: 27 Jul 2012, 12:43 pm »
The UcD design is a lot more flexible about what you put in front of it. Essentially you can skip all of the input stages, build your own input stage, and use only the power part of the module. That's what both Rogue and others have done (Hypex hybrid amps, etc.) The design is set up for this.  My understanding of the Ncore is that it is difficult or impossible to do some of the same things.

cab

« Reply #41 on: 27 Jul 2012, 01:16 pm »
While it wouldn't apply to PS Audio and others using the UcD platform, I would think it would be difficult for those going with ncore to improve on Hypex's own entrant, the Mola Mola. As I said earlier, competing on price (with the ncore) may be the easiest route to take to success.

From reading the initial comments from PS Audio, it seems that Rowland is also working on a Hypex product. Would be interesting to know if they are using the UcD or Ncore....I would be very surprised if they went with the UcD as well.

Any estimates of how many manufacturers are already making UcD based amps?

Occam

« Reply #42 on: 27 Jul 2012, 01:51 pm »
The UcD design is a lot more flexible about what you put in front of it. Essentially you can skip all of the input stages, build your own input stage, and use only the power part of the module. That's what both Rogue and others have done (Hypex hybrid amps, etc.) The design is set up for this.  My understanding of the Ncore is that it is difficult or impossible to do some of the same things.

Per the NC1200 specification pdf -
http://www.hypex.nl/docs/NC1200_datasheet.pdf
the board is available in 2 flavors, a un-buffered version with a 5.3 kOhm input impedance, and a buffered version with a 94 kOhm input impedance. Product using the un-buffered version would typically rely upon a manufacturer implemented front end.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #43 on: 27 Jul 2012, 02:20 pm »
What type of front end will PS Audio use for their UcD amp? Any guesses?

No need to guess, Paul said...

"What I am doing is applying a new version of our class A FET based input stage to drive the Hypex module and it really sounds stunning."

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
« Reply #44 on: 27 Jul 2012, 04:25 pm »
The Latest from Paul at PS Audio.

dan 10:57AM Reply QuoteThanks
Paul,

Did you listen to the NC1200 modules before deciding to use the UDC400?
adminPaul McGowan 12:03PM Reply QuoteThanks
No. I make a habit of not listening to something we cannot use in case I get bummed about the difference. I have, however, listened to about everything else on the planet that can be used and evaluated many, many Class D technologies and the Hypex is by far the best. It's just stunning on the reference system.

That the N Core may be better - and probably is - makes little to no difference to me because it's too big and too expensive to use in our amp.

sts9fan

« Reply #45 on: 27 Jul 2012, 06:21 pm »
I generally don't take advice from Dummies. YMMV...

What type of front end will PS Audio use for their UcD amp? Any guesses?

For not from.

cab

« Reply #46 on: 27 Jul 2012, 08:15 pm »
For not from.

At least one of us gets it.....

Anyway, seems PS Audio is yet another Hypex kool aid drinker.....Surprised they found the ncore 1200 too big....

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 31 Jul 2012, 10:28 pm »
I really do not think there is any mystery in PS Audios' choice of the uCD over nCore.  Right now, we see that complete amplifiers using the nC1200 OE module are coming in at very high 4 figure, or low 6 figure prices.  It is clear that the nC1200 modules are expensive enough that the manufacturer needs to charge these kind of prices to have a viable product.
PS Audio does not make high priced audio equipment, they specialize in offering the best performance they can, while keeping the price relatively reasonable, they do not make products in the 6 figure price bracket.  In order to offer the best performance at a reasonable price, they had to choose the uCD series.  My (educated, as one who previously worked at PS Audio) guess is that they will combine a uCD current driving stage with FET input, bipolar output voltage gain stage, running at high voltage.  It is likely that this input stage would be a development of the input stage used in the Classic 250 power amp, which featured 100 volt supply rails to achieve an extremely clean, musical, and dynamic sound.