Ayre AX-7e vs. Krell S-300i integrated amps

carl_lazlo

Ayre AX-7e vs. Krell S-300i integrated amps
« on: 16 Dec 2009, 08:51 pm »
I was set to get an Ayre AX-7e integrated but recently I have been hearing good things about the Krell s-300i. (Which is also almost 1K less in price.)  I have heard the Ayre but I have not heard the Krell.  Does anyone have any experience with the Krell?  How does it sound compared to the Ayre?  Is the Ayre worth the extra cash? I will be using this integrated amp with PSB Synchrony One tower speakers.

Thanks!

Carl

rydenfan

Re: Ayre AX-7e vs. Krell S-300i integrated amps
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2009, 08:57 pm »
I have not heard the Krell piece but have heard others in the past. Krell and Ayre certainly do not sound like one another. If you liked the sound of the Ayre then go with it. I am sure it will be a nice match with the PSB's.

carl_lazlo

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2009, 10:58 pm »
I have not heard the Krell piece but have heard others in the past. Krell and Ayre certainly do not sound like one another. If you liked the sound of the Ayre then go with it. I am sure it will be a nice match with the PSB's.

Thanks for the advice but I was really looking for input from someone that has actually heard this Krell, or better yet, someone who has heard both of these and can give me their opinion on both.  I know the Ayre sounds great but I can get the Krell for a steal and I would rather not waste money if I don't have to.

Carl

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2009, 11:13 pm »
I haven't heard the Ayre, but I have heard the Krell.  Personally, I'd pass on the Krell, but that's me.  The only way you will know for sure which YOU prefer, is to hear them both for yourself.  If money is the real issue, buy the Krell.  If money isn't the issue, go with the Ayre and be done with it since YOU know YOU do indeed like it. 

Rarely do two people share the same opinion.  If I had told you I heard them both but preferred the Krell, that would be no guarantee that if YOU heard them both that you would also prefer the Krell. 

carl_lazlo

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2009, 12:35 pm »
Well I appreciate the observation that i should listen to both; and if I could I would instead of asking opinions here.  I was looking for something more like this:

krell:  strong bass, a bit dry in the midrange, etc.

ayre:  weaker bass, better midrange, etc.