Turntable suggestions

jawks

Turntable suggestions
« on: 6 Dec 2019, 06:48 pm »
Hi - I was hoping to kindly ask for some input on the purchase of a new turntable.  I am looking to buy a new high-end turntable with a budget of under $2500.  I previously owned a VPI Aries 1 for 15 years and was very happy with it.  I sold it 3 years ago just prior to moving and have been reasonably happy with a Thorens TD160 up until the present.  However, I'm looking to upgrade to a contemporary turntable again and have been considering models such as a Well Tempered Amadeus vs another VPI table (Prime Scout or something like that).  I listen to mostly classical and jazz audiophile recordings.  I'd greatly welcome any of your thoughts or additional suggestions. 

Thanks in advance!

twitch54

Re: Turntable suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2019, 07:38 pm »
first off $2500 is not likely considered 'high end', middle of the road at best, but that's Ok !!

You liked your VPI Aries1, may I suggest a nice used Aries III with a 10.5i arm. That's what I use and have zero desire to change but if I did I'd buy a Technics 1200G and call it a day ...........

mr_bill

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2019, 07:40 pm »
Rega Planar 6?

The new Technics $1200 model?

jawks

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2019, 07:42 pm »
Haha - thanks for the correction!  Yes, mid-level, rather than high-end, is what I meant to say.

How does the Aries III compare with the Aries I or other VPI models such as the Scout, Classic, Scoutmaster, Prime, etc?  There are a lot of VPI table names - it's hard to keep track.

I have eyed the Technics SL-1200G and had a chance to listen to it briefly at a high-end shop in town.  It's also pretty impressive, though I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend $4000 for it.

jawks

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2019, 07:43 pm »
Rega Planar 6?

The new Technics $1200 model?

I forgot to mention that I once owned a RP6 when my Aries was in storage for a year or so but sold it.  Which Technics are you referring to?

twitch54

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2019, 08:15 pm »
Haha - thanks for the correction!  Yes, mid-level, rather than high-end, is what I meant to say.

How does the Aries III compare with the Aries I or other VPI models such as the Scout, Classic, Scoutmaster, Prime, etc?  There are a lot of VPI table names - it's hard to keep track.

I have eyed the Technics SL-1200G and had a chance to listen to it briefly at a high-end shop in town.  It's also pretty impressive, though I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend $4000 for it.

every bit as good as the Prime IMO, I doubt very much if you could hear a difference but I have never compared anything side by side to my Aries III.

As for the 4k price on the 1200G, that's msrp, never pay msrp ! While I've yet to see 20% off I have seen up to 15%

jawks

« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2019, 08:17 pm »
every bit as good as the Prime IMO, I doubt very much if you could hear a difference but I have never compared anything side by side to my Aries III.

As for the 4k price on the 1200G, that's msrp, never pay msrp ! While I've yet to see 20% off I have seen up to 15%

Agreed - I'm looking to buy used or, if from a dealer, a demo or maybe B-stock.

mr_bill

« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2019, 08:36 pm »
I forgot to mention that I once owned a RP6 when my Aries was in storage for a year or so but sold it.  Which Technics are you referring to?

Technics SL-1500C

SET Man

« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2019, 08:37 pm »
first off $2500 is not likely considered 'high end', middle of the road at best, but that's Ok !!

You liked your VPI Aries1, may I suggest a nice used Aries III with a 10.5i arm. That's what I use and have zero desire to change but if I did I'd buy a Technics 1200G and call it a day ...........

Hey!

$2500 turntable? Well, that's "high end" to me! So, at what price point a turntable could be consider a "high end" turntable?  :scratch:

Anyway, at $2500 for turntable with arm, you do have a lot of options these days. I think I'd have a hard time to choose one. Yes, a used or dealer open-box/B-stock is great idea. Well, good luck and keep us noted.

Buddy

revrob

« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2019, 10:46 pm »
Yes I would also like to know what a high end turntable is as well. It is a price point or quality because $2500 can buy a heck of turntable especially if you buy used and I definitely wouldn't call it mid-fi. The VIP turntables have been know to represents great value at their price points.

RPM123

« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2019, 11:28 pm »
You should be able to get a new WTL Simplex MKII for around $2500.

jawks

« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2019, 12:03 am »
You should be able to get a new WTL Simplex MKII for around $2500.

Thanks! I was thinking about a used Amadeus mk2, which had received very positive reviews in the past. I’m n not sure how the Simplex compares with the Amadeus. Have you owned either of these?

mkane

« Reply #12 on: 7 Dec 2019, 01:16 am »
High end, above 5k IMO

RPM123

« Reply #13 on: 7 Dec 2019, 02:39 am »
Thanks! I was thinking about a used Amadeus mk2, which had received very positive reviews in the past. I’m n not sure how the Simplex compares with the Amadeus. Have you owned either of these?

No, but I have a Versalex. The Amadeus might be hard to come by, that's why I suggested the Simplex, which is a "stripped down" version of the Amadeus. I also think that it might cost closer to $2,000. You should contact a WT dealer to get more information.

twitch54

« Reply #14 on: 7 Dec 2019, 01:24 pm »
Hey!

$2500 turntable? Well, that's "high end" to me! So, at what price point a turntable could be consider a "high end" turntable?  :scratch:

truthfully, probably closer to 5 figures and beyond

twitch54

« Reply #15 on: 7 Dec 2019, 01:26 pm »
Yes I would also like to know what a high end turntable is as well. It is a price point or quality because $2500 can buy a heck of turntable especially if you buy used and I definitely wouldn't call it mid-fi. The VIP turntables have been know to represents great value at their price points.

for the record NO WHERE did I say that $2500 couldn't buy a superb TT. As a matter of fact if you read and comprehended my post you would have seen where I stated that a used Aries III would be a nice consideration, I know, I own one !

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #16 on: 7 Dec 2019, 04:05 pm »
  One does not need a "Highend" TT. The improvement IMHO is little for money spent. Whatever you buy get a speed controller. Correct speed is very important. Save money on the TT and get a much better cart. I would stick with VPI. At a later date you could upgrade it with a 3D arm, etc.

charles

BobM

« Reply #17 on: 7 Dec 2019, 08:11 pm »
For $2500 go find another used Aries. That table is awesome and getting something new for the same money won;lt give you the same performance as that Aries. Set it up with one of the newer VPI tonearms (fatboy) and you are set for life.

twitch54

« Reply #18 on: 7 Dec 2019, 08:32 pm »
For $2500 go find another used Aries. That table is awesome and getting something new for the same money won;lt give you the same performance as that Aries. Set it up with one of the newer VPI tonearms (fatboy) and you are set for life.

agreed ......  :thumb:

jawks

« Reply #19 on: 7 Dec 2019, 09:18 pm »
Thank you ALL for your insight and input!  While I did consider reacquiring a used VPI Aries, I decided for a change of pace and purchased a very lightly used and near mint Well Tempered Amadeus mk2 that recently came up for a very reasonable price and under my price threshold.  I'm new to the WTL turntables but have heard and read lots of very positive feedback about their sound, so I'm eager to hear how this sounds in my system!

Thank you again!