Who was the baddest man to ever walk the earth?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Who was the baddest man to ever walk the earth?
« Reply #60 on: 21 Jan 2012, 06:03 am »
Good move!   :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #61 on: 21 Jan 2012, 07:45 am »
Loving the Jimi Art. Part of finishing off my room will be some proper art, and some magnificent image of Jimi will grace my wall. Haven't decided who else goes up.

http://www.authentichendrix.com/Default.aspx

Photon46

« Reply #62 on: 21 Jan 2012, 01:41 pm »

With all due respect, there's a certain effeminate, elitist quality to classical music and a classical composer is not jockin' like Jimi Hendrix. Sure Lizst or whoever writes super complex music, doesn't make them a badass, with all due respect  :lol:

I can understand where you're coming from, but Jimi transcends them all.

Dude, No offense intended, but to call Jimi a "badass" except in the sense of being probably the most influential rock guitarist of all time is, to quote Joni Mitchell, "romanticizing some notion that's in your head." Sure he did a short stint as a paratrooper, but it wasn't because he wanted to go Rambo on the Viet Cong. If you're looking for a musician with GENUINE badass cred, I nominate T-Model Ford.

if anyone's not familiar, here's a link to his page on his record company's site: www.fatpossum.com/artists/t-model-ford

BTW, to call someone like Liszt "effeminate" is just looking backwards at the past though the viewpoint of contemporary culture. If one reads the letters of the greatest military leaders who graduated from West Point in the 1800's, you could be excused for thinking you were reading the thoughts of  dreamers with delicate constitutions. People with education and money just had more refined manners by today's standards. But you're right, Liszt really wasn't a badass at all. He was by all accounts a great guy who worked tirelessly to support other worthy artists who didn't share in his fame and adulation.

pardales

« Reply #63 on: 21 Jan 2012, 02:13 pm »
Does bad mean good? 

Delta Wave

« Reply #64 on: 21 Jan 2012, 02:17 pm »

mitch stl

« Reply #65 on: 21 Jan 2012, 02:42 pm »
Just curious, is there some point to this thread?

Photon46

« Reply #66 on: 21 Jan 2012, 02:44 pm »
Does bad mean good?

This thread's a good example of  why it's so hard to have internet conversations that don't derail. When we can converse face to face, we understand the conversational context so much easier.  :?: 

frank111

« Reply #67 on: 21 Jan 2012, 04:58 pm »
 'The Kaz', better known as Bill Kazmier. - former strength & conditioning coach, went on to powerlifting, pure raw strength unequaled. Anderson 'The Spider' Silva unbelievable master of many martial arts - if he wanted my wallet & keys I would gladly hand them over to him, no questions asked.

WGH

« Reply #68 on: 21 Jan 2012, 05:12 pm »
If Robert Johnson really did make a deal with the Devil he would be pretty bad, and he played a mean guitar.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #69 on: 21 Jan 2012, 06:46 pm »
Joe Momma.
You'd better listen up or else.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #70 on: 21 Jan 2012, 07:00 pm »
Does bad mean good?

........ sometimes, bad is bad (do do do do do wah..... :guitar:)

ken

« Reply #71 on: 21 Jan 2012, 08:15 pm »
Vlad The Impaler

Stu Pitt

« Reply #72 on: 24 Jan 2012, 05:06 am »
Mike Tyson

Had he kept his head on straight, he'd have been the best fighter of all time.  After he realized he was "the baddest man on the planet" he stopped training.  Trained for 3 days before his fight with Douglas.  His biggest downfall (technique-wise) was that he stopped moving his head and stood up straight later on in his career.  He knew he could knock out anyone, but somehow forgot that people are going to punch back.  Earlier in his career he was very difficult to hit because his movement made him such a difficult target.  Combining that with his punching power and hand speed made him so bad-ass it wasn't funny.

But then again, being a psychopath is what made his so bad-ass and what was ultimately his downfall.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #73 on: 24 Jan 2012, 05:07 am »
It's ok if you think someone else was more bad-ass than Iron Mike.  You're wrong, but that's ok. 

Rclark

« Reply #74 on: 24 Jan 2012, 05:15 am »
I completely agree. Had Cus D'Amato lived longer, I think Mike's career would have had a better result. I do place him as the best heavyweight of all time, his mid to late 80's iteration would stop anyone flat, even Klitschko.

But by bad I mean baaaad, as in cool, not ruthless.

TerryO

« Reply #75 on: 24 Jan 2012, 06:24 am »
It would have to be Horatius.
With his companions Spurius Lartius and Herminius, he was able to save Rome from certain destruction.

Then outspake brave Horatius.
     The captain of the gate:
"To every man upon this earth
     Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
     Than facing fearful odds
For the ashes of his fathers
     And the temples of his Gods?"

The Oath of the Horatii a painting by Jacques Louis David (1784)
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2012, 08:04 pm by TerryO »

ken

« Reply #76 on: 25 Jan 2012, 05:17 pm »
I completely agree. Had Cus D'Amato lived longer, I think Mike's career would have had a better result. I do place him as the best heavyweight of all time, his mid to late 80's iteration would stop anyone flat, even Klitschko.

But by bad I mean baaaad, as in cool, not ruthless.

Don't want to get too off track here but Tyson being the best heavyweight of all time is a bit of a stretch, I don't think he would have fared very well against any of the heavyweight contenders of the 70's like ALi, Frazier, Foreman, and Norton, and hell even Ernie Shavers.  Don't get me wrong Tyson was great but do think the afformentioned fighters were better boxers.  I do like one of his quotes though after beating one of his opponents.  "Yeah, he had a plan then he got punched in the face"

GregC

« Reply #77 on: 25 Jan 2012, 07:25 pm »
'The Kaz', better known as Bill Kazmier. - former strength & conditioning coach, went on to powerlifting, pure raw strength unequaled. Anderson 'The Spider' Silva unbelievable master of many martial arts - if he wanted my wallet & keys I would gladly hand them over to him, no questions asked.

I originally replied with a musician since this is an audio site.  Jose Feliciano grew up in a very poor neighborhood and learned to play the guitar blind.  I know there are other outstanding blind musicians like Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder, but Jose took it to another level and remains one of the finest live guitar players I have ever experienced.

If we open up the scope of bad-ass people to those outside the music world then I completely agree with your assessment of Anderson Silva.

Rclark

« Reply #78 on: 25 Jan 2012, 08:07 pm »
Definitely not just about musical ability, this is about the total package, a monarch among pop culture. Jimi was the greatest, the coolest, the baddest, made everyone else bow down, took your girlfriend, broke down barriers... Looked better than everyone, dressed cooler, played his instrument in a whole new way. His coolness was untouchable, the best you could do was emulate.

milford3

« Reply #79 on: 25 Jan 2012, 08:17 pm »

Derek Jeter, of course.