Transcendence 5 on CAM

iclark

Transcendence 5 on CAM
« on: 22 Feb 2008, 10:06 pm »
This preamp has come up for sale on Canuck Audio Mart. Anybody have any opinions on the T5. How does it compare with the newer preamps from AVA, specifically the T8? $750 seems a bit steep, but maybe it's a fair price.
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/81468-van_alstine_transcendence_5/
Was there ever a T6?
Ian

martyo

Re: Transcendence 5 on CAM
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2008, 10:20 pm »
My brother has a T5, in fact,  listening to his T5 in my old set is why I now have the AVA gear I have. The T5 is a really fine preamp. If you like to roll tubes you can. I have the T8. I think that things sound a bit rounded off in the T5, compared to the 6N1P T8. Not as crisp. Not as quick or dynamic, and the T8 has a more defined low end and more low end sock. And overall I would just say the T8 is more revealing than the T5. But the T5 is still one heck of a preamp, just compared to the T8.................You know, Frank don't sit still.  8)

mark funk

Re: Transcendence 5 on CAM
« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2008, 11:00 pm »
I think Martyo has it right. The T-5 is still better then a lot of stuff out there. I payed $799+15 shipping, no phono just line in 2005. Try to get the number of this and see what Frank knows about this piece. Yes there was a T-6 but on more, it was a Hybrid tube pre not an all tube pre like the T-5 or T-8 :smoke: