A/V series

mmurt

A/V series
« on: 12 Oct 2020, 09:07 pm »
Anyone build the A/V-1 and A/V-3S as the front end of home theater?  if so, how do they sound as 2 channel as well as for HT.  I just completed a build of the X-LS Encores and love the sound.  The problem is the center channel is just a bit too big(depth) in this series as it will have to sit on the mantel below the TV.  Room is 14' x 18' with 10' ceilings.  Thanks, Mike

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: A/V series
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2020, 09:12 pm »
You could always make a new and deeper mantle.  :green:

Or go without a center channel.

This is one of those home design things that I have a problem with.  TVs over the fireplace.  :duh:

mmurt

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2020, 09:59 pm »
Don't have much choice on the mantel thing.  Yes I could redesign the mantel but I'm married!!

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2020, 11:05 pm »
Could you reduce the cabinet depth?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2020, 11:27 pm »
Probably, but the cabinet would need to be made wider (assuming its laying down) to maintain the same volume.

AlexH

« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2020, 11:38 pm »
Could you reduce the cabinet depth?

Just tell her how it is, and do what needs to be done. :lol:.....................   And no you can not come live with me :lol:

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2020, 10:21 am »
You could always make a new and deeper mantle.  :green:

Or go without a center channel.

This is one of those home design things that I have a problem with.  TVs over the fireplace.  :duh:

The problem is that many houses, including the one I'm in now, have the fireplace as a massive "feature" in the living room.  I personally hate fireplaces, think they're just a massive hole in your house's envelope.  But that's the way it is.  And really, I'd love to be able to put my TV above the fireplace, as then the furniture doesn't have to be "crooked" in the room.  But to do this, I'd need to drop the massive surround of the fireplace down and maybe decrease the width, and that'll take too much money.

By the way, I think this is like fancy tubs in the master bathroom: does anyone really use these?  We have a massive one with jets in our bathroom.  I've never been in it.  We put the kids in once, put the jets on, and they freaked.  And the amount of time you have them in tubs is really not that long. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2020, 01:04 pm »
Just mount a drop down projector screen above the fire place.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2020, 01:39 pm »
The problem is that many houses, including the one I'm in now, have the fireplace as a massive "feature" in the living room.  I personally hate fireplaces, think they're just a massive hole in your house's envelope.  But that's the way it is.  And really, I'd love to be able to put my TV above the fireplace, as then the furniture doesn't have to be "crooked" in the room.  But to do this, I'd need to drop the massive surround of the fireplace down and maybe decrease the width, and that'll take too much money.

By the way, I think this is like fancy tubs in the master bathroom: does anyone really use these?  We have a massive one with jets in our bathroom.  I've never been in it.  We put the kids in once, put the jets on, and they freaked.  And the amount of time you have them in tubs is really not that long.

I agree on many of the "features" that are desired in homes. They have taken on a stylized life of their own and left function far back in the dust. "Does it work?" "Well...no. But it checks all the current appearance boxes, so it must be cool".

DigitalKloc

« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2020, 12:42 am »
What about using a TV mount that goes over the fireplace and pulls down to a reasonable height? They can be found for around $350 and you could rig something to mount the center channel under it. There are motorized versions too. I’m in a similar situation. Just moved to a rental house and the only place for the TV is over the fireplace.