For those who don't know - Brian makes great spkr enclosures

outlawrocketman

Hi All,

Just wanted to post some public cudos to Brian for the speakers he's built for me. I have a set of GR-research Diluceos with Brian-made maple enclosures. Just this past week my new GR-designed and Brian-made matching subwoofer arrived. Construction-wise they 3-piece set is a knockout!

Unfortunately, my speaker placement makes it hard for me to take photos of all three, but I'll try if folks are interested.

Anyway, thanks much Brian!

:D

george king

« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2003, 04:10 am »
No news there about Brians spectacular work.  A true craftsman in the finest sense of the word.

Now, go out to the other boards, and spread the word about Brian the Great :D

LeonO

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2003, 12:50 pm »
Peter, cheers from Western MA :)

I'd love to see pictures.  What did you get for a sub?  I went with his new design for the AV12.  I'm also going to be trying 5 of his new "Metals" with a Walnut finish.

Leon

Brian Bunge

« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2003, 01:49 pm »
Peter and George,

Thanks for posting your impressions of my work!  I'm sure it will help Leon feel better about his purchase, which was sight unseen/sound unheard!

Here's a pic I took of Peter's sub.  Being maple, it's always difficult to get the grain to show up in a picture.  At least for this novice photographer.

Jay S

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2003, 01:58 pm »
Looks wonderful!  Could you please post the specs and dimensions?

Brian Bunge

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2003, 02:11 pm »
The sub uses the PE 250W plate amp along with the Peerless XLS 12" driver and PR.  The enclosure is 16.75" cubed with 1.125" walls, a sealed amp enclosure made of 1/2" material, and a 3/4" brace connecting the amp box, top, front, and bottom.  According to my simulations, the tuning frequency is 20Hz, which ends up being an EBS alignment in this enclosure and with the amount of weight added to the PR.  I never had a chance to run the sub through it's paces but from what Peter has told me via email and here, he seems quite pleased with the outcome even before break-in.

I'm trying to remember what the assembled weight ended up being, but all I can recall was that it was HEAVY!:)

BradJudy

« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2003, 02:20 pm »
Interesting choice to place the driver and amp on adjoining sides.  I'm guessing it's designed to be in a corner with two clean sides facing out?

Brian Bunge

« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2003, 02:23 pm »
What you can't see in the picture is the passive radiator on the opposite side of the driver.

george king

« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2003, 02:27 pm »
Wow, that is gorgeous.  Maybe I should save my pennies, and let you do the full deal on the AV12, instead of cheaping out.

I have to think about it hard now.

BradJudy

« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2003, 03:24 pm »
Quote from: Brian Bunge
What you can't see in the picture is the passive radiator on the opposite side of the driver.

Gotcha.  It's quite a nice looking sub.

outlawrocketman

It sounds as good as it looks
« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2003, 03:11 am »
Hi All,

Finally got around to tuning my new sub today. Quite excellent results.  Checked it out with the Chesky tuning DVD. Now I'm really testing it out listening to the White Stripes.  Next up is a Dave Van Ronk blues disk, as blues is what I usually listen to.

I do near-field listening using the GR-research Diluceos as the mains. Driven by tube amp and preamp. The mains are in the middle of my room, so without wall support found the bass a little limited for rock listening. Amazing speakers in general though.

That's where the custom  sub designed by GR-research and built by Danny comes in, with maple finish to match my mains. I'd take a picture of the whole setup but my study is a mess!

Btw, anyone within driving distance of  Norton MA is welcome to stop by and check out the sound system.

--Peter