What a RADical experience!! (long)

cdub

What a RADical experience!! (long)
« on: 2 Jan 2003, 05:13 am »
Currently I am having Brian at RAD work on several projects for me.  I just wanted to take this opportunity to share my ongoing experience with those people who are considering using his services.

Background-  About a year ago I was in the market for a pair of speakers.  I was looking for an upgrade from my B&W 602s2.  Like almost every consumer what I wanted was the best possible product at the most reasonable price.  My search led me to discover that many people who had been using "mass marketed" speakers making the switch to DIY speakers kits.  I ended up settling on the GR Research AV1+s. I purchased the kits with the intention of having a local cabinet makers build and finish the cabinets, and then I could finish the installation myself.  Also at a local DIY speaker gathering I was able to purchase a raw MDF cabinet ready for 1 12" driver and 2 15" PRs.

My intentions were to finish all the project myself, but I had some problems.  I don't have the background or resources myself to construct and finish the cabinets. And my attempts to find a local cabinet maker willing to constuct the cabinets at a REASONABLE price failed.  Some people wouldn't even build them , while others were going to charge me hundreds more than RAD.

Enter RAD-  I had seen Brians work on various forums on the net and was impressed although a bit dubious because I could not see his work in person. Also, I initially was very cautious and skeptical about dealing with an online company for large project like mine, and not being able to meet Brian face to face to discuss what I wanted.  My first contact with him was through the email.  He always answered them quickly, and was very patient with all my questions BEFORE I even decided to have him do the work for me.  I also talked to him on the phone several times before deciding to have him do the work and found him to be very patient with all of my questions, as well as insightful and a pleasure to deal with despite a few speed bumps with making the payment for his services.

Current State of Affairs-  Well, it works out that Brian has gotten a little more work than originally intentioned.  My brother decided he wated a pair of cabinets for himself, and I decided to get a center channel. Currently he is working on 3 complete AV1+s and a subwoofer with a Stryke AV12 and 2 15"PRs, and 2 AV1+ cabinets for my brother, and once my brothe and I saw the custom stands on his website we both decided to splurge for a pair.  

He has kept me up to date every step of the way, and has sent me photos as well.  I have found him to be a consumate professional at all times.  

There are a few things I want to mention in particular.  The service Brian is providing is unique and CUSTOM.  If you want it and it is within his capabilities he will build it.  Just imagine, when is the last time you wanted to buy speakers and had the option to specify the material and finish of your speakers?  Sure, you do this with all of your other furniture, why not your speakers: they are furniture too!  With his service you have the unique ability to design your speakers to compliment your room, whether you choose to have your system blend in with the surroundings or be the centerpiece of attention.  There will be no ugly black boxes coming from Brian, unless thats what you want;)  This can be the deal breaker for those of you with spouses!!  It is a very good way to involve your wife.  At first she might not be very friendly to having some menacing black towers dominating her room with a huge black subwoofer in the corner.  The subwoofer can now be an end table to match your decor and the speakers will be pieces of furniture to be admired, not eyesores.

From my research his prices are more than reasonable for the level of product that you are recieving.  The cabinets are crucial to the way a speakers perform. I don't feel its worth it to try and cut corners and end up with a sub par product to save money when in the long run you will not be happy as if you had spent a few more dollars.  On the other hand IF you do have the skills and resources to build the cabinets yourself you should make the cabinets yourself.  Unfortunately I don't.

I apologize for my long windedness, but I just wanted to give a complete view of my experience of how I went from being a doubter to a believer in RAD's services.

Since I haven't recieved the finished products yet I will reserve my final comments about his workmanship until that time.  To this point in time,  I have been more than satisfied.

Chris

Rocket

speakers
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2003, 10:16 am »
hello,

i recently saw pictures of brian's work and would really like it if i could have a pair of speakers made for me.  one problem i live in perth western australia and it just isn't feasible for the to occur.

i hope you enjoy your speakers when they arrive.

regards

rod

cdub

Re: speakers
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2003, 08:14 pm »
Brian,

My email may have been acting up on me so I'm not sure if you've been getting my recent emails. :?  Let me know if you have been getting them or not.  Any news on the Amps? If not I need to make some calls.  Let me know how all the projects are going.  I hope everything is going well with you.

Chris

cdub

Re: speakers
« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2003, 12:21 am »
This week I received five boxes from Brian at RAD.  Enclosed were two custom stands and 3 AV1+s.  Everything was extremely well packed and nothing was damaged en route.  Early in the week Brian notified me that everything was shipping out, and provided me with the shipping information as well.

Build quality of both the stands and speakers is impeccable.  The seams of the veneer are perfect on both the stands and the speakers. I chose to go with cherry veneer, so my set up looks similar to the ones posted on the website. His pictures on the website don't really do justice to the level of craftmenship of his products.  The stands are solid as a rock, and the columns are also mass loadable if you choose to do so.  The AV1+s are a lot heavier than I expected, and well finished also.   The seams are nearly invisible and the finish and workmanship is perfectly consistent thoughout each speaker and stand. Brian assembled my speakers with the Sonicap upgrade as well as installing BH5.  Minor assembly is required with the stands , but that went off without a hitch.

As for the sound quality: Amazing.  My previous speakers were B&W 602s2, which by no means bad speakers, but are not in the same league as the AV1+s. The 602s have now been relegated to rear channel duty. There have been plenty of reviews on these speakers so I won't go on too much.  But to keep is short these are sweet, detailed sounding speakers that are non fatiguing to listen to. I was also surprised at the amount of bass provided by theses speakers. Fast and tight are the cliches that come to mind, perfect for most music.  They don't go too low but that is what a subwoofer is for (Brian's working on that also)  Danny at GR Research has done a wonderful job putting out an affordable product that gives consumers options to traditional commercial offerings.

I purchased these speakers sight unseen.  Never having heard the speakers, but only reading reviews and talking to Danny at GR.

I also had never dealed with anyone before on constuction of speakers exclusively through the web part way across the country.  Only seeing his work on the web, email, and through the phone did I decide to have Brian take care of everything for me.  I was a little weary at first, but if someone were to ask me if I would do it again,  there would be no hesitation.

The end result:  My speakers LOOK as good as they sound!  Much credit goes to Brian for making this project come together.  I'm looking foward to my subwoofer :mrgreen: