New Model: Athena

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
New Model: Athena
« on: 22 May 2011, 05:59 pm »
customers have been asking for the DA-RMa in a taller cabinet without stands, rather than change the DA-RMa I have taken the workings of the DA-RMa and built a new cabinet design for it.
 so here she is, the Athena.  I really like this design, very elegant and the sound is exceptionally balanced and detailed.
thanks,
lou

Charles Xavier

Re: New Model: Athena
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2011, 07:33 pm »
Sweet!

Same specs ?

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2011, 09:37 pm »
Sweet!

Same specs ?
pretty much, haven't put it through the lab yet but I'd say a bit more bass extension.
 it does seem especially balanced and even more clear.  combined with more volume there is much more loading on the 8" driver so it is a bit more controlled.
I really like this speaker!
thanks,
lou

Pez

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2011, 10:14 pm »
Looks gorgeous Lou. Can't wait to hear them in the flesh.

guest1632

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2011, 11:20 am »
customers have been asking for the DA-RMa in a taller cabinet without stands, rather than change the DA-RMa I have taken the workings of the DA-RMa and built a new cabinet design for it.
 so here she is, the Athena.  I really like this design, very elegant and the sound is exceptionally balanced and detailed.
thanks,
lou

hi Lu,

How much for this one.

Ray Bronk, Naming Author of the speaker named Pan

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2011, 07:28 pm »
hi Lu,

How much for this one.

Ray Bronk, Naming Author of the speaker named Pan
the Athena is $8950, plus $300 for the maple  'stripe' option and $250 for the outriggers. 
they were a big hit at the Newport Beach show! many people came back sunday and told us they were the top two or three of the show, at any price!

we're rebuilding the web site, here's a page on them.

http://daedalusaudio.com/Athena.html
thanks,
lou

vinyl_lady

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2011, 05:28 pm »
I had the pleasure of hearing the Athenas last Saturday. I really like the sound of this speaker. Lots of detail, clarity, well balanced with more bass extension than I thought there would be with just one 8" woofer. The cabinet design is beautiful. I like these better than the DA-RMas. Lou said the ModWright and First Sound rooms at RMAF will be featuring the Athenas this year.

Laura

Pez

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2011, 06:19 pm »
Can't wait to hear these. Laura, you'll be at RMAF right?  :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2011, 06:23 pm »
Can't wait to hear these. Laura, you'll be at RMAF right?  :thumb:

Hi Pez,

I am planning to be there. I have my hotel room reserved but need to register and make airline reservations. My grandson turns two in September so I need to plan some serious grandson time while in Denver. Look forward to seeing you and the rest of the AC/RMAF gang.

Best,

Laura

david12

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jul 2011, 09:11 am »
I envy you guys going to RMAF, the best show I have been to by a good margin. The cost to get there from the UK makes it a once only trip.

The Athena does look the business, very well proportioned. Given the option now, I would probably go for it over the DA-RMA's I have, though I am very happy with these and have no plans to ever change them. I suspect they will become the best sellers for Lou.

As far as I understand it, the sound is very similar to the DA-RMA's except for a bit more base extension. I suspect only Lou has compared them, as yet.

beaglebump

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2011, 04:55 pm »
Thank you Laura for your impressions on the Athena.  After much research and auditions for an upgrade to my Meadowlark Ospreys of 7 yrs, I recently decided to acquire this particular pair from Lou.  Living remotely and otherwise being out for performance commitments, I have not had the privilege of hearing them, but have come to know Lou's commitment to the accurate reproduction of 'live' music, which is a primary objective of mine as well.  Will receive in August on my return, and simply cannot wait to test drive them.  If any additional thoughts/impressions you might share, I would greatly enjoy them.    Thank you ~         Michael

Wig

Re: New Model: Athena ?
« Reply #11 on: 26 Jul 2011, 01:52 am »
Guys,

Considering upgrading my Avalon Ascendants with the Vandersteen Quatro wood and hear the Athenas are well regarded as well. Looking for more low end response without adding a sub but wonder how the Athenas image/soundstage in comparison the Avalon or Vandersteen? Do they need excessive toe-in for precise imaging (over 10 deg)?

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
Re: New Model: Athena ?
« Reply #12 on: 26 Jul 2011, 05:30 pm »
Guys,

Considering upgrading my Avalon Ascendants with the Vandersteen Quatro wood and hear the Athenas are well regarded as well. Looking for more low end response without adding a sub but wonder how the Athenas image/soundstage in comparison the Avalon or Vandersteen? Do they need excessive toe-in for precise imaging (over 10 deg)?

the imaging is outstanding with this model and they don't need much toe in, though that is very much room dependent.  typically the toe in is about 8 deg. , which puts the rear of the speaker parallel with the front wall.

thanks,
lou

Wig

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2011, 09:21 pm »
Lou,

Anywhere in NM to hear these?

Thanks,
Wig

jriggy

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jul 2011, 11:11 pm »
Hi Lou

and Wig

I cant say for the Athena but I have the toe-in of my Ulysses to very little. Def less than 10 deg with precise imaging between the speakers at any and every point it may be.

~J

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2011, 04:42 am »
Hey there Lou,
 Nice job and good move! Are you going to have these at RMAF? I'll have to stop by and give 'em a listen :green:

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 1 Aug 2011, 01:06 am »
I think there is a pair of DA-RMa's in NM but no Athena's.  I will have two pair of Athena's at RMAF, Emmanuel will be bringing his own pair for the First Sound room and Wayne (Bolder Cable) will let Dan use his pair in the Modwright  room.  Galibier will be showing with their personal pair of Ulysses and I will have a pair of Ulysses with subs in my room (1030 as always).  btw the pair I'm bringing will be for pre sale.  I will offer a discount, PM me if interested. also all prices will be going up before the show.

thanks much,
lou

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 1 Aug 2011, 01:07 am »
Hey there Lou,
 Nice job and good move! Are you going to have these at RMAF? I'll have to stop by and give 'em a listen :green:

look forward to seeing you!  give me a call.

lou

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #18 on: 1 Aug 2011, 01:25 am »
Looking forward to see you again as well and hearing the new speakers. Will give you a buzz this week.

beaglebump

« Reply #19 on: 2 Sep 2011, 05:02 pm »
I am delighted to say that, just this week, I received my Athenas from Lou.  The pair is the same as shown above, and which Lou recently displayed at the N.E.W. Newport Beach show.  They'll be A/B'd against a pr. of Meadowlark Ospreys I've enjoyed in my system for 7+ yrs., and suspect I'm about to open a new sonic door to my recordings.  They are truly beautiful cabinets.  They've been running in for a couple days now, and look forward to settling in for listening this holiday wknd.  Thank you Lou!