New Model: Athena

Pez

Re: New Model: Athena
« Reply #20 on: 4 Sep 2011, 01:36 am »
Tell us what you think of the sonics! I can't wait to see these at RMAF.

beaglebump

« Reply #21 on: 18 Oct 2011, 08:11 pm »
Well, I’ve been enjoying the Athenas now for a few weeks, and while living vicariously through the posts of Pez and others on RMAF, I’m prompted to jot a few initial impressions now that they have settled in and found their synergy within our system.   

Firstly, the cabinetry is truly beautiful.  Solid as a rock, the tongue/ groove joinery and organic approach to the finishing process makes for a piece of heirloom quality. 

These are instruments of great sensitivity to the source.  I greatly appreciate the authentic tonality I’m now hearing with respect to the instruments themselves.  This, in turn, allows the artistry of the performance to be what it was intended to be – unique (IMHO).  I really find this to be true partic. in bass reproduction – very natural. 

I am struck with a subtle but constant energy about these – very non-fatiguing.  Whether my fav references (e.g. Esperanza Spalding, Antonio Forcione, Alan Broadbent, etc) or an oldie cleaned off for the first time in years, the Athena’s transients, sense of true stage, separation, and lack of any hyper-extension is ear grabbing.  As a musician, I can easily discern not only cymbal size/thickness, but type/weight of stick bead on several jazz references (notably, Jeff Hamilton, Peter Erskine, etc).  I like the opt. for tipping the upper freq up/down.  The +.5/-1 db is admittedly minute, but effective.  For my tastes, I keep it neutral for digital, but enjoy it tipped up a bit for some analog.  Their efficiency is incredible, and for the first time, I’m enjoying a listening experience w/ a solid state power plant at low volume levels and not feeling compromised.   

I’m honored to have what I believe is Lou’s first demo’d example of this design, and only wish my gig allowed me time this year to get to Denver and meet him, and hear the newest Athenas, as well as other Daedalus speakers.  Having been a long-time devotee of Pat’s Meadowlarks, I can truthfully say these Athenas have redefined what I thought possible in the reproduction of ‘live’ music (at least within a musician’s income!).  Thank you Lou, and would enjoy hearing impressions from those who visited the 2 rooms with the Athenas. 
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2011, 01:55 pm by beaglebump »

Scottdazzle

« Reply #22 on: 21 Oct 2011, 08:01 pm »
The Athenas were a star of RMAF  I listened to them several  times in 2 rooms with many different types of music. These are a total design success. Kudos!  :drool:

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 22 Oct 2011, 06:02 pm »
Well, I’ve been enjoying the Athenas now for a few weeks, and while living vicariously through the posts of Pez and others on RMAF, I’m prompted to jot a few initial impressions now that they have settled in and found their synergy within our system.   

Firstly, the cabinetry is truly beautiful.  Solid as a rock, the tongue/ groove joinery and organic approach to the finishing process makes for a piece of heirloom quality. 

These are instruments of great sensitivity to the source.  I greatly appreciate the authentic tonality I’m now hearing with respect to the instruments themselves.  This, in turn, allows the artistry of the performance to be what it was intended to be – unique (IMHO).  I really find this to be true partic. in bass reproduction – very natural. 

I am struck with a subtle but constant energy about these – very non-fatiguing.  Whether my fav references (e.g. Esperanza Spalding, Antonio Forcione, Alan Broadbent, etc) or an oldie cleaned off for the first time in years, the Athena’s transients, sense of true stage, separation, and lack of any hyper-extension is ear grabbing.  As a musician, I can easily discern not only cymbal size/thickness, but type/weight of stick bead on several jazz references (notably, Jeff Hamilton, Peter Erskine, etc).  I like the opt. for tipping the upper freq up/down.  The +.5/-1 db is admittedly minute, but effective.  For my tastes, I keep it neutral for digital, but enjoy it tipped up a bit for some analog.  Their efficiency is incredible, and for the first time, I’m enjoying a listening experience w/ a solid state power plant at low volume levels and not feeling compromised.   

I’m honored to have what I believe is Lou’s first demo’d example of this design, and only wish my gig allowed me time this year to get to Denver and meet him, and hear the newest Athenas, as well as other Daedalus speakers.  Having been a long-time devotee of Pat’s Meadowlarks, I can truthfully say these Athenas have redefined what I thought possible in the reproduction of ‘live’ music (at least within a musician’s income!).  Thank you Lou, and would enjoy hearing impressions from those who visited the 2 rooms with the Athenas.

thank you!  as an acoustic guitarist and aficionado of the instrument I have always tried first and foremost to capture the tonality and subtleties of voice and instruments. so when a PHD in music who teaches percussion at a university level give this praise I feel like maybe I'm getting somewhere.

I am very appreciative of my customers, I don't make much income doing this but the satisfaction and support from my customers is what makes me feel rich.  you guys are the best!!!

thanks,
lou

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #24 on: 22 Oct 2011, 06:05 pm »
The Athenas were a star of RMAF  I listened to them several  times in 2 rooms with many different types of music. These are a total design success. Kudos!  :drool:

thank you Scott, I am very pleased with this model which by the way evolved from customer feedback. 
some people have called this my # two product but I feel that it is right there with the Ulysses, just a different take.
glad you like them!

lou

lqstone

« Reply #25 on: 5 Jan 2012, 06:53 am »
My first input into AC, to feedback the impression of my new Athena's that I just finished break-in.

Interested in Lou's speakers for years and kept dreaming of the day pulling the trigger. In Aug that day came after fascinated at the beautiful Athena for months. They are to replace my Silverline Sonatina II that I enjoyed since 2004.

The Athena's finally arrived in mid Dec after long anxiety, with the same beauty of walnut and centerline as showed off in Lou's website. Thanks to The solid packing, the fedex delivery was impeccable and the unpacking/setting-up was a breeze.

The out-of-box sound was a little harsh but hit my ears with great dynamics and high resolution. After 48 hours, the mid and below started to flesh up. By 250 hours, it sounds quite stable now.

First of all I agree with the previous review regarding tonality. For the first time, I can smile at the full spectrum of piano, especially the exquisite overtone. Next I am blown away by the immediacy and resolution that the fast transient renders. It is pretty amazing to experience those musical details as if those old albums sound new. Then I have to hail the mighty dynamics that contributes tremendously to the vividness of presentation. Overall, Athena's involve me into music, freeing me from analytical mind in listening, as the music attacks and decays with such a natural and organic flow among all frequency, fast, delicate, and explosive. Finally I am glad that my trustworthy ACI sub is no longer needed, as the high quality bass is copious enough for my taste of acoustic music.

Compared to the Sonatina's, Athena's are more visually appealing and acoustically better in performance. One caveat is that the Athena's are less tolerating of CD's that are of lower recording quality at high end, due to their transparency.

Got to thank Lou for his great speakers that make owning and listening to them
such a bliss in my life. Also appreciate all the feedbacks that I have learned in this audio circle.