Speaker waiting

hogzilla

Re: Speaker waiting
« Reply #20 on: 4 Sep 2014, 02:15 pm »
I've been checking at least twice a day. Glad I'm not the only one with speaker OCD.

robcentola

« Reply #21 on: 5 Sep 2014, 06:42 pm »

Nice!  :thankyou:

gregcss

« Reply #22 on: 5 Sep 2014, 08:03 pm »
Nice. You're a bit ahead of me. Update: actually I moved up a couple notches.

sfox7076

« Reply #23 on: 6 Sep 2014, 01:50 am »
Sealer session 3...

hogzilla

« Reply #24 on: 6 Sep 2014, 03:01 am »
Went to final sanding today. Waiting IS the hardest part.

robcentola

« Reply #25 on: 6 Sep 2014, 10:03 am »
Went to final sanding today. Waiting IS the hardest part.

Ouch. The final sanding is tough. Both pairs I had where stuck there for a really long time. I guess that's why they're so smoooooth ;)

It looks like I'm leaning towards selling the ST's. It really does make me sad. Last night I was listening to Esbjörn Svensson Trio and wow they were singing. They simply sound awesome. It's going to be interesting hear the Veracity ST's.

hogzilla

« Reply #26 on: 7 Sep 2014, 02:08 pm »
I've waited over 20 years to treat myself to a new pair of speakers. I can make it. Won't be easy, but I'll make it. I should have my AVA Fet Valve CF soon so that will hold me over. :)

I came close to getting the Veracity STs, but it was stretching to go to the STSCs from the ST standard, so I stopped myself there before I got too out of hand.
« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2014, 03:46 am by hogzilla »

DEP14

« Reply #27 on: 9 Sep 2014, 12:20 am »
It's like undergoing Chinese water torture that you have elected to undergo all on your own.  Except with a nice payoff.

That banner ad idea is a good one, I'd be racking up some serious clicks for Jim.

sfox7076

« Reply #28 on: 9 Sep 2014, 04:23 pm »
I still have to sell my sub.  Waiting until I get to final top coat to do that.  Are we there yet?

Also, Jim has been very patient with the insanity that I bring in odd questions on crossover parts.  A friend of mine is a dabbler in crossover work.  He is a bit hard to contain on these issues and wanted the crossover schematic.  He has settled for the description of the parts.  I am still afraid he will want to rip open the speakers when I get them.  I will not be happy if he tries.  FYI, the only thing he would appear to want to change are the caps.  And I told him the $4k to do that (going solen to munforf) is not going to happen...

SCompRacer

« Reply #29 on: 9 Sep 2014, 04:46 pm »
  I am still afraid he will want to rip open the speakers when I get them.

I confess to popping a passive radiator off and taking some pics of my SS8 crossovers. I also got a look at some crossovers waiting to go into their speakers when I visited Jim's shop.  :D One with Mundorf's.  :o 8)

NickC

« Reply #30 on: 9 Sep 2014, 05:05 pm »
I have been waiting since July14 for my SCST to be built. Only at sealing stage 1.  Waiting is really rough.

sfox7076

« Reply #31 on: 9 Sep 2014, 07:13 pm »
Well, I hope I am not speaking out of school, but there are two-three cap values in series:  13, 15 and 30uf.  Any suggestions on changes that are under $1000 would be great.  That said, I am sure I can live with the Solens as well.

sfox7076

« Reply #32 on: 9 Sep 2014, 10:02 pm »
For someone who knows, would these be an ok sub?

http://jupitercondenser.com/product/copper-foil-flat-stacked-wax-capacitor/

Two 15uf in parallel would be 30uf, a 12uf and a 1uf in parallel would be 13uf, and a 15uf is a 15uf.  Seems like it could work at $1600.  Not sure I would do that, but it could work.  I think.

Would that work?  $1800 or so I guess.

Shawn

hogzilla

« Reply #33 on: 10 Sep 2014, 02:42 am »
Getting closer every day!

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #34 on: 10 Sep 2014, 03:19 am »
Well, I hope I am not speaking out of school, but there are two-three cap values in series:  13, 15 and 30uf.  Any suggestions on changes that are under $1000 would be great.  That said, I am sure I can live with the Solens as well.

You'll never really hear any difference no matter how much you spend on caps, but if you want an economical upgrade, the Clarity Cap ESA range is a good choice.  A 30 uf costs around $30.  I just did a pair of Phil 3's for a recording engineer, and he used the ESA's in the woofer and midrange circuit.  He sprang for the much more expensive MR series in the tweeter crossover, but the cap values are very small for the Phil 3.  They would be wildly expensive in the Exotica's.   (BTW, the 15 uf isn't in series, if that makes any difference to you). 

JonnyFive

« Reply #35 on: 10 Sep 2014, 01:28 pm »
For someone who knows, would these be an ok sub?

http://jupitercondenser.com/product/copper-foil-flat-stacked-wax-capacitor/

Two 15uf in parallel would be 30uf, a 12uf and a 1uf in parallel would be 13uf, and a 15uf is a 15uf.  Seems like it could work at $1600.  Not sure I would do that, but it could work.  I think.

Would that work?  $1800 or so I guess.

Shawn

That's about 15% of the price of the E3s spent on upgrades.  Having upgraded the caps in my SS8s, I would not spend so much if I had it to do over again (I spent about $1000 on caps).  Dennis made some economical recommendations, the Sonic Cap upgrade would be another option.  There's a well reviewed $18k speaker I'm thinking of whose crossover components aren't even as good as Jim's "stock" components.  Just something to keep in mind ;)

sfox7076

« Reply #36 on: 10 Sep 2014, 02:10 pm »
Well, hard to argue with the crossover designer says I won't hear a difference, I won't bother.  I guess the Jupiters would only be $1400... I will skip it.

Paul K.

« Reply #37 on: 10 Sep 2014, 02:20 pm »
I'm sure glad Dennis chimed in as he speaks the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth (I was going to say something similar but figured my input wouldn't be perceived nearly as credible).  There are far better places to spend money on your audio system than on exotic, uber-expensive passive crossover components.
Paul

Well, hard to argue with the crossover designer says I won't hear a difference, I won't bother.  I guess the Jupiters would only be $1400... I will skip it.

sfox7076

« Reply #38 on: 10 Sep 2014, 03:53 pm »
I know.  I am just upgrading to the last set of speakers I will buy until my two month old graduates from college.  Want to make sure it is all as good as I want it to be.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #39 on: 10 Sep 2014, 04:26 pm »
I know.  I am just upgrading to the last set of speakers I will buy until my two month old graduates from college.  Want to make sure it is all as good as I want it to be.

I understand perfectly well--I'm sure I would be considering all kinds of upgrades if I hadn't had so much experience comparing the results.  And any natural bias I might have would be in favor of upgrades.   I would like nothing better than to be able to deliver superior sound just by ordering a different capacitor.  That's a lot easier than agonizing over crossover topology and values.  And I might be able to sneak in an extra profit margin.  :)