Maintenance tracking suggestion...

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Maintenance tracking suggestion...
« on: 30 Jun 2009, 08:13 pm »
Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to have a permanent topic thread posted under the title of "Maintenance Issues" that would be listed in the top portion of the Bryston AudioCircle page. The Maintenance Issues topic could be subdivided into all of Bryston audio equipment. You can also include a section about software updates.

I think that this Idea would work extremely well for both Bryston and the consumer. For example, if I am experiencing a maintenance issue with my 28Bs, I can go to the subsection related to 28Bs and see if any individual has experienced this situation and what the solution was to rectify this issue - if it is a new maintenance issue, I can post my problem/observations here for James. It would also be easier for us to locate this information instead of searching through 50 plus pages.

This would also work well for Bryston as it could be an indicator if there are maintenance issues present with a new release of a product line or one that is already in production. It would also help James as he would not have to go digging through all previous pages to post a reply that may have required a couple of weeks of research. What do you think?

Knowledge is power?

Mad Mr H

Re: Maintenance tracking suggestion...
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2009, 09:28 pm »
Hi,

Sorry - My opinion is this is a VERY BAD idea........

TOO Many people on firums think they have an issue, read someelse has what looks like the same issue and suddenly they believe they have the same issue.

I deal wit more and more customers that start telling "My unit does this, I checked on forums and I am sure "X" is wrong with it...................."

My first answer is always - Well if yu are sure you know whats wrong, what did the internet tell you to do?

I always start each service issue with a fresh and open mind, thats the only way to do it in my opinion........

A small amount of knowledge is dangerous not power.........

Are there really that many issues vs the number of items sold ???

I would like to see the number of issues vs number of items sold including age of units, thats more of an indication of quality of product.

You are of course entitled to your opinion. I have been in the AV service industry for 25+ years, And I am 99.9% sure this would be a bad idea.........

The level of serviceand backup you get from Bryston is second to NONE in my personal experience, For that reason I will buy as much Bryston kit as I can afford and have need for..............

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2009, 09:35 pm »
Maybe a FAQ area having to do with service questions?

james

Mad Mr H

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2009, 10:20 pm »
FAQ is a good idea - Usually to help customers and avoid issues that turn out to be finger trouble..............

werd

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2009, 10:24 pm »
Sounds like a work program for James, and since i believe  this a Bryston owner circle more than a manufacturing circle i think that puts to much demand on one individual (Mr. Tanner)

Mad Mr H

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2009, 10:29 pm »
I missed the point that it would be forum based.

You are right, I think thats too much demand on one person.

The help given here is very much beyond what most others would provide, so lets not take up spare time and be very happy with the private service we get here.

Thank you James - I am VERY NEW here but already see the excellent service given.

Andy.

Laundrew

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2009, 11:30 pm »
Maybe a FAQ area having to do with service questions?

james

I think that this would also work. It just seemed to me that after looking over a few posts here that there was a lot of duplication and having a dedicated section would streamline this issue and perhaps save some time. I was not suggesting that a quality issue is involved here, at the end of the day - you will have issues with equipment no matter who it is manufactured by. In my experience, I have seen permature failures of aircraft "black boxes" which costed hundreds of thousands of dollars - it happens. As I will always beleive - knowledge is power and I have personally seen this prevent many serious accidents...

Regards :)

Sasha

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2009, 01:04 am »
Bad idea IMO.
Not only that it is fraud with complications related to serviceability, but no manufacturer does this for obvious reasons. In regard to # of issues vs. # of sold units could you really trust such publicized information, regardless of who the manufacturer is?
In the end it does not tell you much, best warranty in business is clear and good enough indication of quality IMO.
FAQ is another thing, it is more benign in my view.

Laundrew

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2009, 02:07 am »
Bad idea IMO.
Not only that it is fraud with complications related to serviceability, but no manufacturer does this for obvious reasons. In regard to # of issues vs. # of sold units could you really trust such publicized information, regardless of who the manufacturer is?
In the end it does not tell you much, best warranty in business is clear and good enough indication of quality IMO.

Where did you come up with "In regard to # of issues vs. # of sold units?" If you are going to comment, please be factual and at the very least, comment on what I have stated.

I think that you are reading way more into to this than what it actually is. Put simply, instead of having questions involving maintenance issues spread all out in this forum - and they are, have them listed in one location - no more no less. A very simple concept, eh?

Individuals are still going to post questions in this forum with respect to issues they may be experiencing with their equipment...

SFOX

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2009, 02:49 am »
I suspect that a maintenance forum would be virtually empty given that the products are designed and manufactured by Bryston ...

Steven    aa

1ZIP

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2009, 03:10 am »
....maybe..."Operational FAQ's"...instead of "Maintenance"?   Although I can't imagine there being that many.

Sasha

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2009, 03:25 am »
Bad idea IMO.

Where did you come up with "In regard to # of issues vs. # of sold units?" If you are going to comment, please be factual and at the very least, comment on what I have stated.

What seems to be the problem?
There is clearly made statement in one of the posts, quote: ?I would like to see the number of issues vs number of items sold including age of units, thats more of an indication of quality of product.?
So I am expressing my opinion on suggestions made.
You have a problem with that?

Laundrew

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2009, 03:34 am »
....maybe..."Operational FAQ's"...instead of "Maintenance"?   Although I can't imagine there being that many.

Hi 1ZIP,

Perhaps that would be a much better title. My former technician side peeks out now and then when I refer to "maintenance." I regard maintenance as corrective or preventative. For example, when I dust my audio equipment, I think of it as preventative maintenance - dust can reduce your thermal convection effeciency and induce heat related issues. I would agree with you that maintenance issues for Bryston would be few and far between. The 20 year warranty was number 3 out of 5 on my list for my reasons to purchase Bryston.   

jethro

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jul 2009, 02:31 pm »
I don't think this is a good idea for a number of reasons:

1. there is no write control on threads so a lot of misinformation may end up in the thread without being vetted by an expert
2. I can't personally look after a thread like this because of lack of time and I don't have access to equipment to verify posts and possibly edit them. See item 1. ( I'm so jealous of DrummerMitchell)
3. people can search for similar problems using the search menu
4. I think that this type of formally organized information should be on Bryston's website where they have control over the correctness and content
5. no offence to James, but this is an owners circle and not a manufacturer's circle (athough we are all extremely appreciative of James' hard work). I think we would probably have to switch to a manufacturer's circle if we got too formal with the content.