Performance degradation

1ZIP

Performance degradation
« on: 12 Apr 2016, 02:25 am »
Just curious if Bryston has done any long term studies with regards to performance changes over time.  Not talking about reliability.  It would be interesting to see how the specifications and sound change over a 20 year period using some average usage.  I'm talking about the amps.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Performance degradation
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2016, 10:28 am »
Just curious if Bryston has done any long term studies with regards to performance changes over time.  Not talking about reliability.  It would be interesting to see how the specifications and sound change over a 20 year period using some average usage.  I'm talking about the amps.

Hi

Yes we do look at older amps and see how they are performing.  In fact in 1990 when we instituted the 20 year warranty we had been building amplifiers for 18 years and 18 year old amplifiers were still performing within spec.   We have a 'performance' card on every amplifier we have ever built with the specifications listed. 

When we get a unit in for service we always make sure it performs at the original spec or better when we service it.  I would say you can expect about 25 years of 'in spec' performance from your Bryston amplifier.

james

PS - also this is a 20 year warranty based on a 40 year old history of manufacturing amplifiers to go on.  :thumb: