Buying Electronics in Canada

1ZIP

Buying Electronics in Canada
« on: 24 Feb 2016, 06:03 pm »
Just curious about experiences some may have had with bringing electronics purchased in Canada into the U.S..  I know that "Fair Trade" applies to Bryston so there shouldn't be any duty for items sent for personal use, either new or used, into the U.S..  But I don't hear much about those transactions.  I am assuming that there are some pitfalls to avoid and some hidden costs somewhere that make the whole process prohibitive.   Another reason I ask is that the nearest actual audio shop that has Bryston gear in house is in Canada.  It is a lot easier to drive 90 miles than nearly 250 miles.

Hope I am not opening a can of worms, but I'm just curious about experiences some may have had.

Wind Chaser

Re: Buying Electronics in Canada
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2016, 06:29 pm »
A lot of Canadian companies sell their products for the same figure regardless if it is USD or CAD. So given the current exchange rate, you might also save a fair bit given the difference between the two currencies; that is assuming Bryston doesn't adjust for the difference in exchange rates.  :thumb:

servingko

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2016, 07:24 pm »
Correct, there are currently some BIG discounts to to be had making the trip. :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2016, 08:21 pm »
There's no doubt (not that Bryston or any other company has any control over it) exchange rates are a reality.  It does push customers to situations where they get a better bang for the buck, whether that's buying used on Audiogon or the Canuck Audio Mart and bypass local dealers.  At the current exchange rate of $0.73 to the US Dollar. Where else for example can one in the US get a bargain like this - http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649256141-bryston-bda1/ for $766.

1ZIP

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2016, 08:32 pm »
Question is though….what hidden pitfalls there are.  What about Canadian taxes on the unit? What about potential problems at the border with U.S. customs.  The whole thing seems a little to good to be true.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2016, 08:39 pm »
I've sold a few things that were shipped to Canada.  The buyers just asked me it to list it in a specific way.  I have not read everthing a the below site but it should have relevant information - http://tradecommissioner.gc.ca/exporting-to-united-states-exporter-aux-etats-unis.aspx?lang=eng

satiger

« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2016, 09:42 pm »
When I read about Bryston 20 years warranty, it states "The warranty will only be honoured in the country of the original purchase unless otherwise pre-authorized by Bryston. "

http://bryston.com/pages/warranty.html

Freo-1

« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2016, 09:47 pm »
Correct, there are currently some BIG discounts to to be had making the trip. :thumb:

Or, even if you order from the states and have it shipped.  I just scored a great deal on a Primare A34.2 from a Canada.  The exchange rate is very favorable right now for those stateside.

1ZIP

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2016, 10:04 pm »
When I read about Bryston 20 years warranty, it states "The warranty will only be honoured in the country of the original purchase unless otherwise pre-authorized by Bryston. "

I wonder what that really means or is intended to mean.  With the buying and selling of used Bryston gear essentially world wide, a piece of  gear could go through several owners in different countries over a 20 year period.

Good question for Mr. Tanner to address.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2016, 10:15 pm »

A twenty year warranty is an expression of the confidence Bryston has in their products. They wouldn't offer it if their products on the whole were not reliable, so I wouldn't worry about foregoing that in lieu of a substantial savings.

1ZIP

« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2016, 10:29 pm »
True enough.  With the few times I've had some repairs done by Bryston they have been very generous in applying warranty coverage.

servingko

« Reply #11 on: 24 Feb 2016, 11:45 pm »
I may be wrong but it seems in some other posts here, North America purchases where described as Canada and America and would be treated the same.   Meaning that a product purchased in either would be under warranty redeemed in either, provided it originally was sold from an authorized dealer.

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2016, 01:02 am »

I'm not even sure how that can be tracked by the consumer and make it enforceable.  If I buy a used amp from anyone beyond the original owner am I supposed to ask him to track where the other owner got it from and if there is more than one are they supposed to go further down the chain?

servingko

« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2016, 01:24 am »
Here is the post I was thinking of.  A little different than I was thinking but you still have a warranty.

James Tanner
Facilitator

The Demo is Everything!
» Gallery
 View Profile  http://www.bryston.com  Email  Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Bryston Warranty
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2015, 04:52 pm »
Quote from: SHV on 11 Feb 2015, 04:31 pm
"The warranty is covered in the country the product was purchased "
That's interesting.  So if I, living in the US, buys a used Bryston amp from a Canadian, the 20 warranty in void?

Steve

Not void - just has to come back to Canada or the USA for warranty. North America is seen as one market for us.

If someone in China buys a product from a US or Canadian dealer then any service has to be done in the USA or Canada. It is not fair to have a distributor who did not sell the product be responseable for the service.

james

1ZIP

« Reply #14 on: 25 Feb 2016, 01:57 am »
Well I guess that settles the warranty concern.  So back to the original question regarding potential import problems.  If I understand the import  rules correctly there should be no additional costs beyond purchase, insurance and shipping for new or used Bryston gear coming from Canada into the U.S..  I do believe that a certificate of origin is required.  So, given a coo is attached the item should breeze through customs.  For those of you who have done cross border transactions does that sound correct?

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #15 on: 25 Feb 2016, 04:05 am »
About 12 years ago I bought a Bryston amp in Canada and drove it into US through Detroit.  I declared it and was told at the border by the US agents it was exempt from customs since it was manufactured in Canada.  The agents even thanked me for declaring it - they said most people just tried to sneak it through.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #16 on: 25 Feb 2016, 04:34 am »
I'm not even sure how that can be tracked by the consumer and make it enforceable.  If I buy a used amp from anyone beyond the original owner am I supposed to ask him to track where the other owner got it from and if there is more than one are they supposed to go further down the chain?
bryston also now requires a copy of the invoice, so that would be all the proof you need.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #17 on: 26 Feb 2016, 04:11 pm »
But buying a used Bryston from the US and having it shipped up here, you're still going to get slapped with taxes and whatever import/brokerage fees they decide on.

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 26 Feb 2016, 05:17 pm »
bryston also now requires a copy of the invoice, so that would be all the proof you need.

True - but still doesn't cover products prior to the warranty change.