BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

werd

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #660 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:42 pm »
...manufactured to order and specs, as the biggest the difference between manufacturing cost and sale price, the biggest the profits and the CEO's bonus.

As for global economy and politics, I suspect you were :smoke: in the washrooms during the courses   :lol:

Nap.

No i was in the classroom. That course was held where it belongs "in the washroom". flushing of the toilet makes for a great learning prop.

werd

« Reply #661 on: 8 Feb 2011, 07:32 am »
Hi Folks,

If you think running a specialty audio company provides 'maximum profits' your sadly mistaken.  For most this is a labour of love and a job that pays the bills. :)

james

Come on. You trying to tell us you drive that B@W because you been betting on the leafs...  :lol:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #662 on: 8 Feb 2011, 01:14 pm »
Come on. You trying to tell us you drive that B@W because you been betting on the leafs...  :lol:

Hi Werd,

No leaf bets - just almost 60 years for working hard and prioritizing where I spend. :)

james

werd

« Reply #663 on: 8 Feb 2011, 02:39 pm »
This quote was a couple of pages back talking about a jumper from BDP-1 to BDA-1 -- James had said that he was using a 4 in. jumper.  In the December issue of TAS, Robert Harley made a statement to the effect that speaker cables and ICs should be as short as possible with the exception that digital ICs were best at 1 meter to 1.5 meters.  Has anyone noticed that?  Would like to hear confirmation/comments from anyone.

Good question, has this been further explored yet?

Welly123

« Reply #664 on: 8 Feb 2011, 03:28 pm »
Thanks Russell, that is great news, but the BDP-1 isn't showing up yet.

I had this response from Logitech:

"A request for the codes to be published have been made. However, this process may take up to a week. In the meantime, if there are people you know that really needs these commands, you can tell them to refer to this incident number (110121-004793) and we can add the codes to the other customer's account."

Regards

Russell

JimB-MN

« Reply #665 on: 8 Feb 2011, 04:27 pm »
There's a lot of good info buried in these 34 pages.  James, do you think it would be good to start a BDP-1 technical thread that gathers in one place all that has been learned about using the product?  Like FAT32 allows you to read and write, NTFS is read only and exFAT doesn't work.  Additional technical facts on how to write to a BDP-1 connected drive.  Info on the various remotes like MPOD, Gnome, Logitech.  It's mostly in here somewhere but it might be good to pull it into one place. 
Jim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #666 on: 8 Feb 2011, 04:30 pm »
There's a lot of good info buried in these 34 pages.  James, do you think it would be good to start a BDP-1 technical thread that gathers in one place all that has been learned about using the product?  Like FAT32 allows you to read and write, NTFS is read only and exFAT doesn't work.  Additional technical facts on how to write to a BDP-1 connected drive.  Info on the various remotes like MPOD, Gnome, Logitech.  It's mostly in here somewhere but it might be good to pull it into one place. 
Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes we have been looking at maybe doing a FAQ section?

james

JimB-MN

« Reply #667 on: 8 Feb 2011, 05:09 pm »
Hi Jim,

Yes we have been looking at maybe doing a FAQ section?

james

Better yet.  That would be perfect. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #668 on: 8 Feb 2011, 05:13 pm »
Better yet.  That would be perfect.

OK - I will add the heading to the Bryston Circle and everyone can contribute.

james

Bugsy

« Reply #669 on: 8 Feb 2011, 08:53 pm »
James is betting on the Canucks now.  :lol: The beat Ottawa last night!!!!!!!!!! :D :thumb:

OgOgilby

« Reply #670 on: 9 Feb 2011, 01:49 am »
I had this response from Logitech:

"A request for the codes to be published have been made. However, this process may take up to a week. In the meantime, if there are people you know that really needs these commands, you can tell them to refer to this incident number (110121-004793) and we can add the codes to the other customer's account."

Regards

Russell

Thanks Russell!

werd

« Reply #671 on: 9 Feb 2011, 04:45 am »
Check out the xlr i am getting from the bdp to bda. Its from Harmonic tech. only 1300 for a 1.5 meter.

http://www.harmonictech.com/products/photon/photon-digital.html

skunark

« Reply #672 on: 9 Feb 2011, 05:35 am »
Check out the xlr i am getting from the bdp to bda. Its from Harmonic tech. only 1300 for a 1.5 meter.

http://www.harmonictech.com/products/photon/photon-digital.html
I hope you can demo first as the "specs" seem to be self conflicting:
*Patent-pending LAM ensures music is never digitized and offers the lowest possible noise floor
*The LAM modules are applied at both ends of the cable, ensuring absolutely no analog-to-digital conversion
*Fiber-optic technology ensures entire signal path is purely analog, without any sampling
*Light transmission through the fiber is uni-directional
*Since back reflection is extremely low (< -55dB), optical isolators are unnecessary
1) the music is already digitized, and for XLRs, it is a balanced digital signal.
2) it's converting one medium (copper) to another medium (fiber optics)
3) how can light be uni-directional with back reflection?
*Photon light signals make it immune to EMI and RFI interference
Any EMI/RFI gains with fiber were lost with the require power supply and what appears to be a cable shield.
The best one:
*Musical information is preserved to a greater degree due to complete lack of digitization
It's a freakin digital signal, it's already digitized..
glass and laser-like
Is glass like fiber, plastic?

Sadly Werd,
It seems like this will combine all the issues of toslink regarding jitter and remove any benefit of a balanced cable in terms of noise reduction.

Hopefully you can test drive before you buy.. 

Bugsy

« Reply #673 on: 9 Feb 2011, 08:52 am »
Werd

Check out Nordost silver shadow digital cable.  http://www.nordost.com/prodlist.asp?BrandID=66
I got this 1.5 meter cable RCA to RCA and add BNC adapters to both ends and got it all for aprox $480.oo CDN or try out TRansparents Premium 110-Ohm AES/EBU Digital Link cable http://transparentcable.com/products/show_product.php?recID=50&perfID=1&catID=3&modCAT=1

I had this cable for a year or so and got a 1 meter for aprox same price as the Nordost.

I need to be able to use either cable with the BCD-1 CD player to the BDA-1 DAC and/or  BDP-1 player to BDA-1 DAC so that is why I choose RCA to RCA with BNC adapters on the Nordost plus the price was write.

Right now I am doing an a/b comparision using both cables hooked up to the BDP-1 and the BDA-1 and breaking in the Silver Shadow. It is not a true BNC connection but that is what I have and can afford at this moment. My wife made a comment she likes the Transparent cable {which is XLR at both ends) at this monent as more detailed and clearer.

Any way sit down, relax, have some fun while you listen to your music and have a glass of  :wine:   or too

Larry

werd

« Reply #674 on: 9 Feb 2011, 03:19 pm »
I hope you can demo first as the "specs" seem to be self conflicting:1) the music is already digitized, and for XLRs, it is a balanced digital signal.
2) it's converting one medium (copper) to another medium (fiber optics)
3) how can light be uni-directional with back reflection? Any EMI/RFI gains with fiber were lost with the require power supply and what appears to be a cable shield.
The best one:It's a freakin digital signal, it's already digitized.. Is glass like fiber, plastic?

Sadly Werd,
It seems like this will combine all the issues of toslink regarding jitter and remove any benefit of a balanced cable in terms of noise reduction.

Hopefully you can test drive before you buy..

Thanks Skunark

It could be cutting edge or it could be self-defeating its hard to say. I hate the price. Thats why this stuff is so expensive because you can't test drive it (well not in Saskatoon anyways).

The only thing i can do is try and get a dealer to give me a decent discount. Use it for maybe a year and then sell it on audigon. Thank god for Agon because this hobby would be dead in the water without it. I want to hear this stuff but the only way is by buying and then selling it. It turns into a sort of lease on audio gear. If you can get a dealer to cut you a deal then its worth it. The price hit is usually small when it becomes time to sell. The only reason why i am looking at it is because Harmonic tech has good resell on Agon. 

werd

« Reply #675 on: 9 Feb 2011, 03:27 pm »
Werd

Check out Nordost silver shadow digital cable.  http://www.nordost.com/prodlist.asp?BrandID=66
I got this 1.5 meter cable RCA to RCA and add BNC adapters to both ends and got it all for aprox $480.oo CDN or try out TRansparents Premium 110-Ohm AES/EBU Digital Link cable http://transparentcable.com/products/show_product.php?recID=50&perfID=1&catID=3&modCAT=1

I had this cable for a year or so and got a 1 meter for aprox same price as the Nordost.

I need to be able to use either cable with the BCD-1 CD player to the BDA-1 DAC and/or  BDP-1 player to BDA-1 DAC so that is why I choose RCA to RCA with BNC adapters on the Nordost plus the price was write.

Right now I am doing an a/b comparision using both cables hooked up to the BDP-1 and the BDA-1 and breaking in the Silver Shadow. It is not a true BNC connection but that is what I have and can afford at this moment. My wife made a comment she likes the Transparent cable {which is XLR at both ends) at this monent as more detailed and clearer.

Any way sit down, relax, have some fun while you listen to your music and have a glass of  :wine:   or too

Larry

Hey bugsy

I was looking at a Gutwire chime2 on CAM, I was going to buy it but the guy had just sold it. The Nordost looks good, i had a run of Quatra-fil that was really good. I am going to look at that and see if there is any Silver Shadow on Agon. How much is the Transparent in xlr?

Bugsy

« Reply #676 on: 10 Feb 2011, 09:43 am »
Hey bugsy

I was looking at a Gutwire chime2 on CAM, I was going to buy it but the guy had just sold it. The Nordost looks good, i had a run of Quatra-fil that was really good. I am going to look at that and see if there is any Silver Shadow on Agon. How much is the Transparent in xlr?

Werd

I got these quotes from the 2 dealers I deal with in Van.

Dealer 1 said same price for either with AES/EBU or (BNC/RCA) ends.

A Nordos Silver Shadow (110 Ohm & AES/EBU) or Nordos Silver Shadow (75 Ohm RCA/BNC) 1 meter goes for $599.00, 1.5 meter goes for $744.00 plus taxes

Dealer 2 said

Transparent Premium Link 110-Ohm AES/EBU Digital Link 1 meter goes for $525.00 and 1.5 meters for $625.00 plus taxes.

Transparent Reference Link 110-Ohm AES/EBU Digital Link 1 meter goes for $1550.00 and 1.5 meters goes for $1750.00 plus taxes

Transparent had a try it before you buy it programm in January not sure if they are still running it but check out this web site for more info http://transparentcable.blogspot.com/2010/12/transparent-launches-try-it-now.html

Larry

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #677 on: 11 Feb 2011, 06:56 pm »
Hi Jim,

Got the BDP-1 running easily last night with a couple of USB sticks. I listened to the one from Bryston and then had a couple of my own.

Wow- the high-rez is really, really loud and dynamic compared to the standard 44.1/16. I had a Sony SACD player a couple of years ago, but it did not sound like this. I kept having to turn down the volume, not from distortion, but just sheer explosive volume of the tracks (especially with classical music). I am definitely waking up the neighbors! My wife, who is a bit of audiophile as well (I drag her to the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest every year) also commented on how much better the hi-rez music sounded. Though I know it depends on how the hi-rez stuff was originally recorded, it makes me want to re-buy everything I already have in the CD version, in high-rez.

In addition, the standard 16bit/44.1 sounds better as well from what I had with my IPOD/Wadia. This thing works just like a CD player.

I am hooking it up to my router later this afternoon and will try the Bryston mini on my iphone and put the shortcut to the Max on my Imac. All and all, a great product. Once I got the hang of using the internal web browser it was pretty simple. Had a bit of minor difficulty going back and forth between USB sticks, but once I realized the correct buttons to press on front panel, it was easy.

A very good purchase!

Regards,
David

David Sims
Applications Engineer - ATAC
Arrow Electronics
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2011, 09:35 pm by James Tanner »

werd

« Reply #678 on: 11 Feb 2011, 07:05 pm »
Hi ^^^^^^^^^

I hope he the gets use out of his iphone with it. Having that feature completely untethered me from my system in cuing (lol i just figured out how to spell that word..cue) up tunes. Thats the big reason i am buying it. I didn't like the HDD i had hooked up but the usb stick was great. I can make it work np to the way i want it to sound just by fiddling with hd's, thumbdrives and usb connects. I just got to get it my house...... cook where's my hassenpheffer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDe8fTgVUZw

:D
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2011, 10:10 pm by werd »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #679 on: 11 Feb 2011, 09:48 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi James,

Listening to regular 44.1/16 bit files now, and the BDP-1 is in a entirely different league than the Wadia 170i doc that I was using.

Bass is better and bigger, depth is better, instrument separation and dynamics are much, much better. The noise floor is also lower. It seems to be a much fuller, richer presentation that what I had earlier.

Probably better parts and a much better power supply have a lot do with this.

David Sims