Build question

Lebo

Build question
« on: 26 Nov 2020, 02:38 pm »
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  I have a few questions about my X-CS build.  I was searching for some information about construction.  I noticed must builds use a round over on the back of the baffle.  1) What size round over is recommended?  I am using 3/4 MDF.  Also, 2) Is a 45degree chamfer as good or better?  Thanks.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Build question
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2020, 03:08 pm »
I suspect a radius or chamfer will work equally well. My understanding is that removing the 90° corner at the inside edge of mid/woofer driver opening to reduce diffraction is the key element. There is also another element that may come into play with thicker baffles. Without flaring the woofer cutout some way, the effect is that of forcing the back wave of driver into a "tunnel" of sorts. Not a huge concern with 3/4" material.

Danny has recommended a minimum of 3/8" radius on the backside of woofer opening, I imagine the same would hold true of a chamfer. I've seen that taken to extremes, but at some point one starts to interfere with the driver mounting holes, which opens yet another can of worms that has been debated ad nauseum.

Cut it at 3/8 or 1/2" and know you've done what's necessary. It seems to me splitting theoretical hairs is just fuel for forum debates and has little audible effect on sound of a given design.
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2020, 05:44 am by Peter J »

Lebo

Re: Build question
« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2020, 04:29 am »
Thanks Peter J.