cleaning stylus

beat

cleaning stylus
« on: 24 Apr 2003, 04:06 am »
Hello all,
how do you all clean your stylus? I was looking at this gel stuff that I guess is slightly tacky you just dip your cart in momentarily.
http://www.extremephono.com/Stylus_Cleaner.htm
He makes it sound pretty great.

Tonto Yoder

cleaning stylus
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2003, 11:57 am »
beat,
the extremephono stuff is a generic copy of Zerodust which is considerably higher-priced and reviewed by Stereophile's Michael Fremer (I believe).   He LIKED it, hey Mikey!!

Personally, I still use a Discwasher stylus brush.
Tonto

beat

cleaning stylus
« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2003, 08:18 pm »
thanks T,
I'm guessing the Discwasher product is similar to the Last product.. a bottle of fluid and a small brush? You just kinda lightly brush it as if it were a very fragile tooth?

mgalusha

cleaning stylus
« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2003, 09:29 pm »
I use the Last fluid but the gel looks very interesting. I had read about the higher priced goo that Tonto mentioned but am unwilling to pay the price. ($75.00 I think) The Extremephono goo is reasonably priced enough to try. I am always paranoid about brushing the stylus and this appears to be much safer. :)

Thanks for posting this, I'll be ordering one.

Mike

Tonto Yoder

cleaning stylus
« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2003, 10:25 pm »
Quote from: beat
thanks T,
I'm guessing the Discwasher product is similar to the Last product.. a bottle of fluid and a small brush? You just kinda lightly brush it as if it were a very fragile tooth?

I'm not sure what the Last brush looks like: Discwasher looks like this

You are brushing back to front only??

duff138

cleaning stylus
« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2003, 01:44 am »
i use the extremephono cleaner.  it's sold on ebay too. it works great.  once in a while i'll use my discdoctor stylus cleaner too.

Oz_Audio

cleaning stylus
« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2003, 04:56 am »
I have been using a Discwasher for over 20 years.

Use it from back to front only and DO NOT use the liquid supplied, it corrodes the canteliver.  My Linn Karma died from it and the original Garret Brothers put it doem to the liquid.  Use water only.  Its just a lubricant so the bristles do not act as an abrasive.

Also I do not clean the records, I let the diamond do that and clean the tip after playing each side.

Mark :D