Gas Grill Recommendation Needed

Doublej

« on: 18 Jul 2005, 09:03 pm »
I am looking for a small gas grill (25,000 BTU +/-) that uses ceramic briquettes  or lava rocks instead of a heat plate that most of them come with nowadays.

What are my choices? I am also looking for a small (10,000 BTU) table top grill as well.

Once I have this solved I'll ask about mattresses (After my head stops spinning on the subject)

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2005, 09:08 pm »
Don't know the answer for your grill question offhand.

But I do know that' we've had a discussion on mattresses in the sports bar before. Check back through the older posts and you'll find it.

XMarine

Char Broil
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2005, 04:03 am »
Check out the Char Broil website.  They have a great selection and quality products plus replacement parts can be ordered over the web for next day delivery.

jules

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2005, 04:16 am »
yes, you're right, ceramic is not used much these days but in my opinion is better [although it takes a little time to heat up].

I suggest you look at small commercial equipment ... There's some brilliant Italian designs. See if you can find a supplier of restaurant equipment in your area. These days the price of domestic stoves can sometimes exceed the cost of a much heavier duty piece of professional equipment and it's probably worth looking in this direction on any occasion you want something really durable and really functional. A lot more is possible with larger burners.

I admit the griller are usually a bit big for what you need but there are smallish versions.

jules

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2005, 04:18 am »
Beware that most commercial equipment can't be installed in residences.  Fire codes and limitations on the size of the gas line makes commercial gear pretty hard to use.

jules

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2005, 04:45 am »
fair point, though I wonder what size pipe is being used on these double oven- 8 burner- plus hotplate monster domestic ranges.

I was a bit disappointed on a recent occasion when I tried something domestic that looked magnificent but seemed to be low on output ... maybe starved for gas or designed with limitations.

I confess to cheating with a 200mm triple burner gas bottle backed burner for serious work though I'm still looking for a good griller [salamander in commercial jargon].

jules

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2005, 06:18 am »
In America, in the restaurant biz we reserve the term "salamander" for topbroilers.  I'm on the lookout for a new grill, too- my old POS has definately seen better days.  Personally I like the radiant style with thick steel difffusers, but ceramic is nice if it's thick ceramic plates.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #7 on: 1 Aug 2005, 01:20 am »
If you are leaving wood charcoal and going to the darkside, my friend got a big "deluxe" stainless steel grill from Sam's. Three burners and one or two  side burner for pots. With Stainless steel or brass burners so they would not rust. He got the special natural gas version and hooked it up on his deck to his house natural gas line. It uses ceramic heater plates over the burners. They have smaller versions as well. This one looks like it will last a lifetime.