Winter Heater

audio_builder

Winter Heater
« on: 22 Jan 2009, 03:24 pm »
Here is a picture of my latest project.  I finished it just in time to keep me warm on those long cold nights in Austin.

Push-Pull 211.  1240vdc on plates.  75wpc.  One heavy amp.

http://lonestarbottleheads.org/forums/index.php?topic=178.0

Lee

Wind Chaser

Re: Winter Heater
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2009, 04:04 pm »
Would that be Austin as in Austin Texas?  If so, does it really get cold way down there?  Of course me being from Canada, I probably have a different idea from you as to what "cold" is. :lol:

Interesting amp btw.

EDS_

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2009, 04:28 pm »
Pure sweetness.  Nice work Lee.

soliver

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2009, 06:03 pm »
Lee,
Thanks for bringing the winter heater over on Sunday.

And huge thanks for leaving behind your step-up, so I can actually use my turntable while waiting on Bent Audio to fonalize theirs.

This Push pull 211 monster had incredible dynamics.  The way it moved from 0 to 60 in car terms is not something I had heard before from an amp.  I am curious as to whether or not the ultra-refinement of the sound will come around once it gets more hours on it.  As is I favor beauty and refinement over raw power, but it certianly had me dreaming of a combination of my amp and the space heater.  Umm, Wyetech Topaz mono's might be just the ticket, but I will happily settle for the Sapphire amps that I dream of upgrading to.

Thanks again, it was fun.

audio_builder

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2009, 04:04 am »
Hello Scott,

Thanks for letting me bring over the space heater and run up your electric bill.  As of this Sunday’s listening session, the amp officially has 7 hours on it.  It will continue to break in and improve, but the amp will really not get any warmer sounding.  As a transformer coupled push-pull design, I was looking for accuracy, detail and tight control of a speaker’s cone movement.  The amp was designed to drive electrostats or other load demanding big speakers. 

With your speakers and setup, I can understand the allure of single ended amps.  The amp I built a few years ago was a single ended 211 amp.  It sounded great.  I miss that amp.  It has more of the sonic qualities you seem to like. 

Given the option between the Sapphire and the Topaz amplifier, I would definitely go for the Topaz.  High voltage 211 tubes seen to have a magical quality to them.

I really enjoyed the listening session and even learned a thing or two (your listening setup caused me to partially rearrange my room – for the better).  I would love to do it again.

Lee