Schiit Aegir

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Schiit Aegir
« Reply #80 on: 27 Dec 2020, 04:58 am »
+1 on the Aegir, it have a elegante and simple project, almost minimalist, have a decent sound and not cost a fortune, hi value per $ what in the end is what counts.

toch17

« Reply #81 on: 27 Apr 2021, 01:14 pm »
Using a Aegir with Kef LS50 in a near field desk setup, def a rich full sound, doesn't get too loud as the ls50 is 85db but def enjoying the combo currently. Aegir gave the kef a warmer sound compared to when i used a Peachtree nova 150.

I was looking into this comparison lately as well. I wonder if this difference is coming from the inherent difference between Class D and Class A.

AvsFan

« Reply #82 on: 30 Jun 2021, 04:53 pm »
To use the Aegir in monoblock mode, do you have to use the XLR connections? I thought I remember reading that somewhere.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #83 on: 30 Jun 2021, 05:46 pm »
To use the Aegir in monoblock mode, do you have to use the XLR connections? I thought I remember reading that somewhere.

From Stereophile's review: "Users may effortlessly convert their stereo Aegir to an 80W (into 8 ohms) monoblock by simply connecting the XLR output of a true balanced preamp to the single XLR input on the Aegir's rear panel."

RDavidson

« Reply #84 on: 30 Jun 2021, 06:52 pm »
I was looking into this comparison lately as well. I wonder if this difference is coming from the inherent difference between Class D and Class A.

No. That would be an over-simplification. Not all class A amps are particularly rich sounding. Not all class D amps are dry nor analytical. On top of this, all amps will react differently to various speaker loads (and thus their performance will vary accordingly)...though, some like Hypex/Ncore and presumably Purifi are relatively load-agnostic up to their power rating (so I've read).

AvsFan

« Reply #85 on: 8 Jul 2021, 08:42 pm »
Anyone have some suggestions on a fully balanced pre-amp that would work well with the Aegirs? Tube, SS, it doesn't matter, but I need a remote control that has a balance control.

uphoto

• Restricted
« Reply #86 on: 14 Aug 2021, 05:26 am »
Why not the Schiit freya+?  That’s what they were meant to pair with.

mick wolfe

« Reply #87 on: 14 Aug 2021, 04:40 pm »
Why not the Schiit freya+?  That’s what they were meant to pair with.

+1. Great pre-amp and really a no brainer at that price point, especially when pairing with a Schiit amp. Endless 6SN7 tube rolling possibilities as well.

Wado

« Reply #88 on: 10 Oct 2021, 08:20 pm »
I've heard the Aegir driving a pair of Spatial Audio Lab M3 in a showroom and the set up sounded very well balanced and musical. Don't know how it would compare with a First Watt

Sparky14

« Reply #89 on: 23 May 2022, 04:02 am »
Hey Aegir users, I need your advice on whether the Aegir is right for my systems. Yes, plural, as I will move the amp from regular use in my office for 2-4 hours per week in my living room.

The living room is easy - I have Tekton Mini Lore Monitors there. 95db, 8 ohm. And that seems to be Aegir ready.

My office is the question mark. There I feed from sources into a B&K Preamp, which splits the low pass to a powered 8", and then the high pass goes to the amp and on to Polk Reserve R200 (86db, 8 ohm). This is a small 15x15 office, so it won't go loud. Will the Aegir be sufficient to power the high pass to the R200s?

And will the Aegir be able to go for 6 hours a day in my office?

Thanks!