What LPs have you listened to recently?

Jlappy

Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #2720 on: 5 Oct 2011, 05:44 am »

Great album cover  :thumb:  :dunno:  I had to look this group up, i'll need to look out for this one!

Jlappy

« Reply #2721 on: 5 Oct 2011, 05:47 am »

It's been a Peter Hammill evening that started out with this one  :D

Peter Hammill - Over  Charisma    CAS 1125

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #2722 on: 5 Oct 2011, 09:33 am »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumb:

I have my original pink Capricorn but it's a bit noisy. Might be some seeds in the gatefold...

Paul

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give

pumpkinman

« Reply #2724 on: 5 Oct 2011, 10:36 am »
Great album cover  :thumb:  :dunno:  I had to look this group up, i'll need to look out for this one!

The Foundations ~ Build Me Up Buttercup is special to me. The year it came out I spent summer weekends working with Dad. So when I play the title track my time machine mind takes me back........Bill

bside123

« Reply #2725 on: 5 Oct 2011, 02:00 pm »
bside,  love this album  :thumb: 
my PopMart lp deal on this is still in back order status  :x

Hope yours comes soon. This is a great album, and it sound great too! The LP delivers. I really like The Jayhawks, love their sound... it's a real mix between so many retro influences, yet they deliver something fresh. They have a distinct style. Wish they could have been a bit more recognized. From what I understand, it was hard for them to survive the record industry. Nonetheless, they were another great discovery from George Drakoulias & Rick Ruben!

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2726 on: 5 Oct 2011, 04:11 pm »
Hope yours comes soon. This is a great album, and it sound great too! The LP delivers. I really like The Jayhawks, love their sound... it's a real mix between so many retro influences, yet they deliver something fresh. They have a distinct style. Wish they could have been a bit more recognized. From what I understand, it was hard for them to survive the record industry. Nonetheless, they were another great discovery from George Drakoulias & Rick Ruben!

I finally broke down and bought this record and really like it. The reissue is my first album by them. I just wished they would have chosen a different name for their band. As a proud Missouri Tiger, I had refused to have anything in my house that said Kansas or J*******, so I never gave them a listen when they first hit the music scene. :lol: Why would you name your band after a stupid mythical bird? :dunno:

Laura

bside123

« Reply #2727 on: 5 Oct 2011, 04:17 pm »
I finally broke down and bought this record and really like it. The reissue is my first album by them. I just wished they would have chosen a different name for their band. As a proud Missouri Tiger, I had refused to have anything in my house that said Kansas or J*******, so I never gave them a listen when they first hit the music scene. :lol: Why would you name your band after a stupid mythical bird? :dunno:
Laura

And interestingly enough... they're from Minnesota!

bside123

« Reply #2728 on: 5 Oct 2011, 07:22 pm »

Merle Haggard "Songs For The Mama That Tried" 1981 MCA Records LP

bside123

« Reply #2729 on: 5 Oct 2011, 08:49 pm »

Hank Williams Sr. "His Original Hits" 1982 Chadwick LP Canadian Pressing

bside123

« Reply #2730 on: 5 Oct 2011, 11:52 pm »

The Weavers "At Carnegie Hall" 1970 Vanguard Records Reissue LP
Originally recorded in 1955 & released in 1957

pumpkinman

« Reply #2731 on: 6 Oct 2011, 12:11 am »
The Troggs ~ Love Is All Around

After the 1st track I had to stop the SQ was just horrible

simoon

« Reply #2732 on: 6 Oct 2011, 12:27 am »
It's been a Peter Hammill evening that started out with this one  :D

Peter Hammill - Over  Charisma    CAS 1125

An entire evening of Peter Hammill?!

That's a brave endeavor.

Do you feel suicidal yet?

Of course I'm referring to his lyrical content, not him as an artist.

pumpkinman

« Reply #2733 on: 6 Oct 2011, 12:35 am »
Atomic Rooster IV

orthobiz

« Reply #2734 on: 6 Oct 2011, 02:51 am »
Blonde On Blonde
Mono reissue

Paul

roscoeiii

« Reply #2735 on: 6 Oct 2011, 03:52 am »
And still digging that mono collection Paul? Would especially like to hear Blonde on Blonde in mono.

Jlappy

« Reply #2736 on: 6 Oct 2011, 05:21 am »

An entire evening of Peter Hammill?!

That's a brave endeavor.

Do you feel suicidal yet?

Of course I'm referring to his lyrical content, not him as an artist.

simon,

:lol: you may be right, long days of arduous work  . . .  hammill may not have been the best uplifting work to be spinning - yet it did help decompress  :wink:

last evening this was the last lp spun

:) and i made it to spin for another day  :lol:

Jlappy

« Reply #2737 on: 6 Oct 2011, 05:31 am »

Laura

:lol:  Laura,  I can see your logic as Missouri Tiger, yet I just 'dug' this up.

'Named after "The Hawks" - as in "Levon and the Hawks," the name of Dylan's backing band in the 60s before they became known as "The Band" ' http://www.jayhawksofficial.com/band.html

Jim

Jlappy

« Reply #2738 on: 6 Oct 2011, 05:48 am »
Hope yours comes soon.  This is a great album, and it sound great too! The LP delivers. I really like The Jayhawks, love their sound... it's a real mix between so many retro influences, yet they deliver something fresh. They have a distinct style. Wish they could have been a bit more recognized. From what I understand, it was hard for them to survive the record industry. Nonetheless, they were another great discovery from George Drakoulias & Rick Ruben!

bside,  thanks, me too.  I agree with you, the Jayhawks do have a unique sound and i think that alt-county niche is a hard one to fill (by listeners/fans).  I've always had Hollywood Town Hall in the same class as Whiskeytown's Faithless Street.  I think I may have picked them up around the same time, back in my cd buying days...

Jim

Jlappy

« Reply #2739 on: 6 Oct 2011, 05:56 am »
The Foundations ~ Build Me Up Buttercup is special to me. The year it came out I spent summer weekends working with Dad. So when I play the title track my time machine mind takes me back........Bill

Bill,

:) that's what music can do for us, it can emotionally connect us to a time and place . . . for me it is that transcending art form.   

Jim