What LPs have you listened to recently?

Jlappy

Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #2700 on: 4 Oct 2011, 06:16 am »
Hi Jim,

I've only listened to it once. Over all I like it, especially sides 3 & 4--some of Jeff Tweedy's best work. I wish there was a little less distortion on some of the songs on sides 1 & 2. Nels Cline is a great guitarist, but he gets a little carried away at times IMO. Sky Blue Sky and Wilco (The Album) are my favorite Wilco album's followed by A. M. I have A Ghost is born and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, but don't like them as well.

Hey Laura, 

Glad to hear that you like the lp.  I can see you point on sides 3 & 4, I agree.  I also understand what you are saying about side 1 & 2, yet I guess I like the experimentation . .  on track one, side 1 Art Of Almost - refreshing almost progish, which was a big surprise to me.   on side 4, One Sunday Morning is masterful to me  :D

btw I started listening to Uncle Tupelo back in their 'frat house playing days' in the mid 80s and i've been tracking Wilco/Tweedy & Son Volt/Farrar ever since, sadly most of what i own is on cd, but i'm staring to pick up some vinyl  :wink:

cheers,

Jim   

Jlappy

« Reply #2701 on: 4 Oct 2011, 06:27 am »
To fund a couple of cartridge purchases I decided to sell off quite a few CD's.
Before selling I ripped them to the PC Hard Drive and there they've languished ever since.
There's quite a few on there that you just can't get on vinyl so it's worth a little bit of effort.

So your robbin' peter to pay paul?  :nono: understood though :wink:   

Magnum - I've followed these guys from their beginnings. Probably the band I've seen most times live.
Still going and releasing albums.
Personally I prefer their earlier stuff (Kingdom of Madness thru to Vigilante) after that they had a stint with an added commercial feel, but more recently back to form.
Get them on your DSCOGS "Watch List"  :wink:

Got some in me dogs cart now   :wink:

Jlappy

« Reply #2702 on: 4 Oct 2011, 06:32 am »

Gilgamesh – S/T, Caroline (UK) – CA 2007, 1975

bside123

« Reply #2703 on: 4 Oct 2011, 02:47 pm »
:thumb: bside an awesome live lp  :thumb:

Yea, this has always been one of my favorite live albums, well because it's so "lively."  :lol:
Hot band, and they flat out jam... Frankly, though, the recording is just okay.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2704 on: 4 Oct 2011, 03:09 pm »
Hey Laura, 

Glad to hear that you like the lp.  I can see you point on sides 3 & 4, I agree.  I also understand what you are saying about side 1 & 2, yet I guess I like the experimentation . .  on track one, side 1 Art Of Almost - refreshing almost progish, which was a big surprise to me.   on side 4, One Sunday Morning is masterful to me  :D

btw I started listening to Uncle Tupelo back in their 'frat house playing days' in the mid 80s and i've been tracking Wilco/Tweedy & Son Volt/Farrar ever since, sadly most of what i own is on cd, but i'm staring to pick up some vinyl  :wink:

cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim,

I pretty much agree with you on the new Wilco. I've listened to the CD that came with the LP in the car and ripped it to iTunes in an AIFF format and listened at work. The album grows on you. Art of Almost is a good song. I really like Nels Cline when he plays melody like on Impossible Germany from Sky Blue Sky. If you haven't heard it, you should check out this album by Jay and Ben Gibbard (Death Cab for Cutie) http://www.amazon.com/One-Fast-Move-Im-Gone/dp/B002MJM86Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1317740555&sr=1-1 Good stuff

I'm a late comer to Wilco (Sky Blue Sky was my first purchase and then I bought some of their back catalog. The one I wish I had not bought is A Ghost Is Born) and never listened to Uncle Tupelo in the past.

Happy listening,

Laura

orthobiz

« Reply #2705 on: 4 Oct 2011, 03:24 pm »

Uhh, you might just be one toke over the line on this one, oh PumpkinMan!

Paul

bside123

« Reply #2706 on: 4 Oct 2011, 05:59 pm »

The Rolling Stones "Beggars Banquet" 2003 ABKCO Reissued & Remastered 180g Vinyl LP

Originally Released 1968

bside123

« Reply #2707 on: 4 Oct 2011, 06:45 pm »

Donald Fagen "The Nightfly" 1982 Warner Bros. LP Japanese Pressing

*Scotty*

« Reply #2708 on: 4 Oct 2011, 10:56 pm »

45 RPM Acoustic Sounds Pressing courtesy of Jerome

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #2709 on: 5 Oct 2011, 12:29 am »
That Jerome sure does like to share the wealth.  Wink2

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #2710 on: 5 Oct 2011, 01:23 am »

orthobiz

« Reply #2711 on: 5 Oct 2011, 01:27 am »
Bob Dylan
Mono box
Listening one to two sides a day in order.
I am up to Highway 61...

Paul

pumpkinman

« Reply #2712 on: 5 Oct 2011, 01:51 am »

pumpkinman

« Reply #2713 on: 5 Oct 2011, 01:53 am »

Gilgamesh – S/T, Caroline (UK) – CA 2007, 1975

Nice one Jim   :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2714 on: 5 Oct 2011, 01:54 am »
Pman does the Allman Bros. album sound any different to you?? It says its some kind of high res pressing, can you hear a difference??

bside123

« Reply #2715 on: 5 Oct 2011, 01:58 am »

The Jayhawks "Hollywood Town Hall" 2010 American Recordings Remastered, Reissue 180g Vinyl LP

Originally Released 1992

pumpkinman

« Reply #2716 on: 5 Oct 2011, 02:09 am »
Pman does the Allman Bros. album sound any different to you?? It says its some kind of high res pressing, can you hear a difference??
I would have play one after another to tell AE. I do have an early pink Capricorn pressing. One day I'll have compare
I'll give you a call  :D

orthobiz

« Reply #2717 on: 5 Oct 2011, 02:30 am »
I would have play one after another to tell AE. I do have an early pink Capricorn pressing. One day I'll have compare
I'll give you a call  :D

I have my original pink Capricorn but it's a bit noisy. Might be some seeds in the gatefold...

Paul

vinyl_lady

Jlappy

« Reply #2719 on: 5 Oct 2011, 05:17 am »

The Jayhawks "Hollywood Town Hall" 2010 American Recordings Remastered, Reissue 180g Vinyl LP

Originally Released 1992

bside,  love this album  :thumb: 
my PopMart lp deal on this is still in back order status  :x