What LPs have you listened to recently?

AllynW

Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #1940 on: 18 May 2011, 02:23 am »

Jlappy

« Reply #1941 on: 18 May 2011, 05:03 am »
I owned one Boomtown Rats album when I saw them perform "I Don't Like Mondays" on stage at Live Aid. It wasn't long before I acquired a copy of all of their albums.

:) Back in high school (1984) when my buddy and I who co-wrote the the music column for our school's  newspaper, we conducted a survey  :wink: (well we handed out the survey sheets in the lunchroom ...) of our school's top 20 songs.  Well, mysteriously "I Don't Like Mondays"  ended up #14.   After the survey's results were published and other students questioned, "I Don't Like Mondays" by the Boomtown Rats?  . . .  My buddy and would say, "come on, You know the Boomtown Rats" and we would play the the song and these people would say, "Oh ya, that is a good song.  I know that song."  :icon_lol:  Science aside sometimes you just need to do what is esthetically right  :wink: and school is about education  :thumb:

Jlappy

« Reply #1942 on: 18 May 2011, 05:12 am »

"A Million Miles Away"  :P one of my college anthems! Thanks for the connection  :wink:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1943 on: 18 May 2011, 12:43 pm »
   :)  I've been looking for some Oregon, one group i don't have in my collection! 

it has been a Phil Manzanera morning  :P

Diamond Head on Polydor    2302 062    UK, Reissue

Quiet Sun – Mainstream  on Antilles    AN-7008  US

Musically a great lineup, I am not sure why they never followed up with any more lps :|
There are a few Phil Manzanera fans around here.  One album of his that rocks my world is "? Guitars".  The question mark is cause I can't remember the word and have misfiled the album and saw no mention of it at his website.

That Oregon one I posted is an old one, possibly THE oldest one, but is seriously well worth finding. 

Ah, I remembered . . Primitive Guitars!

« Last Edit: 18 May 2011, 02:18 pm by jimdgoulding »

orthobiz

« Reply #1944 on: 18 May 2011, 10:21 pm »
If you had "Guitars ?" I would have guessed Guitarissimo!

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #1945 on: 18 May 2011, 10:23 pm »

I like earlier Hello People, all of it produced by Rundgren. But this is not their finest moment. Like many collectors, just gotta have a complete set sometimes!

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1946 on: 18 May 2011, 10:47 pm »

I like earlier Hello People, all of it produced by Rundgren. But this is not their finest moment. Like many collectors, just gotta have a complete set sometimes!

Paul

Paul,
I had never heard of this band until this post. U.S. or U.K.? Who do they sound like?

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1947 on: 18 May 2011, 10:49 pm »

This is a new one too. I had never heard of this group before. :duh:

orthobiz

« Reply #1948 on: 18 May 2011, 11:37 pm »
Paul,
I had never heard of this band until this post. U.S. or U.K.? Who do they sound like?

US group, there's a writeup at:
http://www.thecoolgroove.com/hello.html
I had never seen this site until you asked, it has a video of them mouthing an early song, it's all a little twee and not necessarily representative of the group. They are a little psychedelic, a little Left Banke, overall worthwhile.

I really like the album Have You Seen The Light. Bricks is OK also.

Hey, twee is the perfect word. The urban dictionary has a quote: Belle and Sebastian are the Beatles of twee! There you have it! My kind of mellow stuff.

Paul

PS I like them even though I find mimes about as cuddly as I do clowns (hate 'em!).

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1949 on: 18 May 2011, 11:40 pm »
US group, there's a writeup at:
http://www.thecoolgroove.com/hello.html
I had never seen this site until you asked, it has a video of them mouthing an early song, it's all a little twee and not necessarily representative of the group. They are a little psychedelic, a little Left Banke, overall worthwhile.

I really like the album Have You Seen The Light. Bricks is OK also.

Hey, twee is the perfect word. The urban dictionary has a quote: Belle and Sebastian are the Beatles of twee! There you have it! My kind of mellow stuff.

Paul

PS I like them even though I find mimes about as cuddly as I do clowns (hate 'em!).

Thanks. I like psychedelic and The Left Banke (Walk Away Renee is a fav). I will have to look for them.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1950 on: 19 May 2011, 04:43 am »
One World- John Martyn (Island).

Toni Rambold

« Reply #1951 on: 19 May 2011, 01:43 pm »
Pettersson: Violin Concerto No. 2
Haendel, Blomstedt, Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra
Caprice CAP 1200

:duh:   ... TAS 28, pages 128-129.

Boulevard of Broken Dreams: It's the Talk of the Town
Another Record Company EfA 5230

_______________________________________ _______________________________________ __
Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake, very great smile   
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2022, 10:15 pm by Toni Rambold »

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #1952 on: 19 May 2011, 11:03 pm »
The Beatles ~ Revolver

Japanese Parlophone

I purchased a complete set of Japanese LPs about 4 years ago

orthobiz

« Reply #1953 on: 20 May 2011, 12:31 am »
The Beatles ~ Revolver
I purchased a complete set of Japanese LPs about 4 years ago

They are no good. Send them to me and I'll dispose of them properly!

Paul

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #1954 on: 20 May 2011, 12:42 am »
They are no good. Send them to me and I'll dispose of them properly!

Paul

Someone just broke into my home and stole them Paul  :lol:

Pearls Before Swine ~ The Use Of Ashes

Pearls Before Swine was an American psychedelic folk band formed by Tom Rapp in 1965 in Eau Gallie, now part of Melbourne, Florida. They released six albums between 1967 and 1971, before Rapp launched a solo career. Rapp lived close to Cape Canaveral and watched the rockets take off. The song "Rocket Man", on the album The Use of Ashes - written the day Neil Armstrong landed on the moon - was credited by Bernie Taupin with inspiring his hit song with Elton John of the same title. Quote : "We didn't steal that one from Bowie, we stole it from another guy, called Tom Rapp..."

Paul are you familiar with Pearls Before Swine

DaveyW

« Reply #1955 on: 20 May 2011, 03:01 pm »
Home Alone this afternoon

Dug out my Rainbow collection and given them all a good sauna

Beer popped and now just kicking back and listening to these three gems  8)

A great way to start the weekend!  :D

LONG LIVE ROCK 'N' ROLL

DaveyW

« Reply #1956 on: 21 May 2011, 09:45 am »

The Fish era Marillion really deliver a sonic treat on Vinyl.

This is spinning at the moment - I really had forgotten how good it is. 8)

orthobiz

« Reply #1957 on: 21 May 2011, 02:38 pm »
I am absolutely, positively not a Bruce fan. But I know he's talented and I know why everyone loves him. It's one of those cases where I can intellectualize the reason but there's no visceral response.

Except for the first three albums, that is! I think they're fantastic. Kinda like Chicago I, II and III. (forget IV and above!)

Paul

BTW, inspired by Toni, I'm taking pictures of the label with my own individual flair. We'll see how long that lasts!

Ericus Rex

« Reply #1958 on: 21 May 2011, 02:44 pm »
I'm definitely pulling out Blondie today.  Gotsta hear me some Rapture    :thumb:

orthobiz

« Reply #1959 on: 21 May 2011, 02:51 pm »
I'm definitely pulling out Blondie today.  Gotsta hear me some Rapture    :thumb:

Then pull out Parallel Lines and listen to Fade Away and Radiate. Robert Fripp on guitar, it's spooky, sexy and cool. AND it hasn't ever ever been overplayed!

Paul
« Last Edit: 21 May 2011, 06:29 pm by orthobiz »