What LPs have you listened to recently?

NastyChipmonk

Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #1520 on: 9 Feb 2011, 06:16 pm »
Last night, my wife and I listened to:

Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth on the new MoFi gray series.
Supertramp - Even in the Quietest Moments, which it wasn't as the house is so dry due to the relentless cold outside. Lots of pops and crackles.  Will probably stick with CD's, DVD-A and SACD until it at least gets to -5C. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1521 on: 10 Feb 2011, 07:19 am »
TIDELINE- Darol Anger/Barbara Higbie (Windham Hill).  Note beautiful.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1522 on: 14 Feb 2011, 01:40 am »
"I wanna ta-ta you, baby . . thank you" so sayeth Johnnie Guitar Watson real good on Ain't That a Bitch (BJM Records);  Harvie Swartz- Underneath It All (Grammavision);  Woody Shaw Quintet- Stepping Stones, Live at The Village Vanguard (Columbia).

bside123

« Reply #1523 on: 14 Feb 2011, 02:08 am »
"I wanna ta-ta you, baby . . thank you" so sayeth Johnnie Guitar Watson real good on Ain't That a Bitch (BJM Records)

Hey Jim: Whadya you know 'bout Johnny Guitar? Have you ever checked out his late '50s early '60s cuts? Anyway, he's a "gangster of love." I've enjoyed him for years.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1524 on: 14 Feb 2011, 03:48 am »
Hey Jim: Whadya you know 'bout Johnny Guitar? Have you ever checked out his late '50s early '60s cuts? Anyway, he's a "gangster of love." I've enjoyed him for years.

Ace Records, Houston, Texas.  You are comrade in arms indeed, my son.  I go back to the 50's and round where I grew up there was negro music and there was the Everly Brothers, et all.  There was also Pat Boone doin Little Richard tunes.  You don't wanna know.  Steve Miller did a short tribute to Gangster of Love very early
in his career.   Bet you know that.  That's cause he grew up in North Dallas, Texas, same as me and home to Freddie King.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2011, 05:02 am by jimdgoulding »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1525 on: 17 Feb 2011, 04:42 am »
                                                 MAIHAR
Side One:  Rag- Yaman Kalyan 26'12"/Rasa- Devotion, Peace and Joy/Time Played- evening
Side Two:  Rag- Jog 25'28"/Rasa- Pathos and Joy/Time played- late evening.

Padma-Vibhushan Ali Akbar Khan, Sarod
                           Aashish Khan and Terence Pease, Tanpura
                                    Sri Swapan Chaudhuri, Tabla

From the liner notes-  "Inspiration is the root of all art, the outward expression of the inward spiritual experience.

The word Rag is derived from the Sanskritic root Ranja meaning "to color", "to tint".  Thus each Rag evokes its own specific shading of emotion and creates a highly impressionistic reality."  Try typing that when yer three sheets to the wind.

This is on Water Lily Acoustics vinyl tho it may be available on disc, dunno.  I have another Kavi Alexander Water Lily digital recording or two and an Ali Akbar Khan live double disc digital recording by Mark Levinson and Cello LTD.  I don't remember why I bought this on vinyl (it is a 1990 release and I was gettin into digital like everybody else) but it is some of the best music reproduction I have or have ever, ever heard.  I try and avoid those arguments about analog being more natural than digital as a medium but the sonics in this recording as they compare with the discs of this kind of music that I own are undeniably a case in point.  The corporal body and depth of tone (I know these instruments enough), the natural sounding detail and the music itself in this recording is an ego killer.  Side two, the late evening raga, is slightly more wonderful to me*.  This is one you should seek out even if you know nothing about Indian music cause it won't matter. 

*a few hours later.  No it isn't.  My critical or those kind of sensabilities are suspended.  And that's putting it kindly.  By the music mind you.

Oh, didn't mention Tim de Paravicini of EAR custom built the vacuum tube mics, mic pre-amp and tape heads and also the vacuum tube cutting system for the session.
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2011, 04:36 pm by jimdgoulding »

decal

« Reply #1526 on: 17 Feb 2011, 11:57 pm »

Allman Brothers Band "Idlewild South"

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #1527 on: 18 Feb 2011, 05:09 pm »
Neil Young & The Bluenotes: This Note's for You
Neil Young (Author), The Bluenotes (Author) | Format: Vinyl

A P-man recommendation.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1528 on: 20 Feb 2011, 04:19 am »
Two oldies tonite:

Sinatra, Only The Lonely and June Christy, Something Cool, both on Capitol Records from the 9th grade for me.  June Christy is fab.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #1529 on: 20 Feb 2011, 04:34 am »
Gregg Allman - Low Country Blues
Maybe his best ever.

etcarroll

« Reply #1530 on: 20 Feb 2011, 02:09 pm »
The Concert for Bangladesh [Box set]
George Harrison | Format: Vinyl

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #1531 on: 22 Feb 2011, 05:22 pm »

« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2011, 09:13 pm by pumpkinman »

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #1532 on: 23 Feb 2011, 03:36 pm »
It sounds surprisingly good for a 96 year old disk.

#1 record in 1915.  World's first platinum record.  At buck fifty a disk, Victor grossed over 1.5 million dollars which is $32 million in today's money. They must have sold a few talking machines too if that many copies sold.

sandbagger

« Reply #1533 on: 25 Feb 2011, 01:09 am »
hooked up for the first time since 88 my turntable, just an old Technics SL-J2 but I bought it new as a kid.

Guess I am back to being hooked again :o

First disk

and the second disk

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1534 on: 25 Feb 2011, 01:48 am »
hooked up for the first time since 88 my turntable, just an old Technics SL-J2 but I bought it new as a kid.

Guess I am back to being hooked again :o

First disk

and the second disk

I know the feeling. I had an addition built on my house in 2005, primarily as my music room. That led to purchasing a new TT because my Beogram had a short in one of the wires and it was a good excuse for a new TT. Six years later my vinyl collection is growing like it is on steroids, I have upgraded my TT & cartridge and about 85% of my listening is to vinyl.

Welcome back :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1535 on: 25 Feb 2011, 04:00 am »
A Beogram was my first TT, too, Lady, unless you go back to when I was a kid.  Hey, I enjoyed it immensely.  Still got some of those albums from the day.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1536 on: 25 Feb 2011, 05:21 am »
A Beogram was my first TT, too, Lady, unless you go back to when I was a kid.  Hey, I enjoyed it immensely.  Still got some of those albums from the day.

Jim,

I still have mine in the original box with a $325 price tag on the box. I bought it at David Beatty Stereo in KC, MO in the mid 1970's. My first TT in college was a Magnavox and then a Benjamin Miracord in law school and until I bought the B & O. The Beogram provided many, many years of music satisfaction.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1537 on: 25 Feb 2011, 05:38 am »
Kinda wish I still had mine.  Probably just nostalgia, but it WAS a blast.

etcarroll

« Reply #1538 on: 5 Mar 2011, 02:51 am »
Aja
Steely Dan | Format: Vinyl

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1539 on: 6 Mar 2011, 05:21 am »
Bach, three Concertos- Orchestre de Chambre/Bernard Thomas (Dominus Records).