What LPs have you listened to recently?

BikeWNC

Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #920 on: 31 Dec 2009, 10:39 pm »
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk

Wayner

« Reply #921 on: 31 Dec 2009, 10:58 pm »
Roxy Music, Avalon

Wayner  aa

BikeWNC

« Reply #922 on: 1 Jan 2010, 02:03 am »
Malcolm Dalglish & Grey Larsen - The First of Autumn

vinyl_lady

« Reply #923 on: 1 Jan 2010, 02:19 am »
The Chocolate Watch Band - The Inner Mystique

The Traveling Wilburys - Volume I from the Rhino reissue. The Rhino box set is a must have for any Wiburys' fan. Rhino did a supurb job on this one.

John Fogerty-The Blue Ridge Rangers - Rides Again

Happy New Year everyone

Laura
« Last Edit: 1 Jan 2010, 03:53 pm by vinyl_lady »

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #924 on: 1 Jan 2010, 01:43 pm »
Black Sabbath

Black Sabbath is the debut self-titled studio album by English heavy metal band Black Sabbath. Released on 13 February 1970 in the United Kingdom, and later on 30 June 1970 in the United States, the album reached number eight on the UK Albums Chart and has been recognised as one of the main albums to be credited with the development of the heavy metal genre

timjthomas

« Reply #925 on: 1 Jan 2010, 07:30 pm »
Tchaikovsky & Mendelssohn Violin Concertos - Francescatti

vinyl_lady

« Reply #926 on: 2 Jan 2010, 04:10 am »
Kings of Leon - Only by the Night This is a great indie alternative rock album. Their music has really matured since they opened for U2 during the first U.S. leg of the Vertigo tour in 2005.

Jefferson Starship - Red Octupus

Dire Straits - Making Movies

U2 - No Line on the Horizon

This album is so different than anything they have done before and another "reinvention" after All that You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. I wasn't sure about the album the first couple of plays, but it is really growing on me. Complex with lots of different textures and intimate lyrics. I am beginning to understand why Rolling Stone called it the best album of 2009.  :thumb:

Wayner

« Reply #927 on: 2 Jan 2010, 09:14 pm »
The Cars, Candy-O

Wayner  aa

pumpkinman

« Reply #928 on: 3 Jan 2010, 02:34 am »
The Decemberists
Hazards Of Love

Ed came by this evening with this LP and I took off his hands since he was on the fence
with it. I will have to look for other recordings by this band, very enjoyable........Bill

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #929 on: 3 Jan 2010, 03:25 am »
Black Sabbath

Black Sabbath is the debut self-titled studio album by English heavy metal band Black Sabbath. Released on 13 February 1970 in the United Kingdom, and later on 30 June 1970 in the United States, the album reached number eight on the UK Albums Chart and has been recognised as one of the main albums to be credited with the development of the heavy metal genre

For me, it was 1968's Blue Cheer: Vincebus Eruptum and Iron Butterfly: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida that opened my mind to the wonderful world of metal (and the pot helped also).  :smoke:

Cheers,
Robin

vinyl_lady

« Reply #930 on: 3 Jan 2010, 05:10 am »
The Decemberists
Hazards Of Love

Ed came by this evening with this LP and I took off his hands since he was on the fence
with it. I will have to look for other recordings by this band, very enjoyable........Bill

Bill,

Get all of them (it's easy to spend your money :lol:). The Decemberists are one of my favorite bands of the last decade. After seeing them in concert this summer, I am hooked. After THOL, I recommend The Crane Wife (O Valencia! from this album is the 2d song on the CD I sent you), then Picaresque. Their first two albums are Her Majesty and Castaways and Cutouts. All are available in vinyl :thumb: and IMO, all are worth owning.

Happy New Year,

Laura

vinyl_lady

« Reply #931 on: 3 Jan 2010, 04:50 pm »
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - The Live Anthology 
This seven 180gm vinyl LP box set containing live recordings drawn from 30 years of live performances. The collection brings together material from 1978-2007 culled from hundreds of hours of live concert recordings covering every era of Tom Petty a& The Heartbreakers' tours and represents the best tracks as chosen by producers Tom Petty, Mike Campbell and Ryan Ulyate. 51 tracks mastered directly from the uncompressed 24-bit 96K files and pressed on seven audiophile quality vinyl LPs. Includes deluxe book with liner notes offering personal perspective on the band and their music by Tom Petty, Warren Zanes, Bill Flanagan, Robert Hilburn, Joel Selvin, Austin Scaggs, and Phil Sutcliffe. Special packaging in an album sized bound book with seven pockets to hold the discs, and a removeable booklet in the back.

So far I have listened to the first two of seven records. The pressings are flawless -- very quiet background and no surface noise. The sound is terrific. Considering that some of the songs were recorded live in the late 1970's and early 1980's, the quality of the the recording is excellent. In the really cool booklet Tom said they listened to every live recording in their 30 year history before choosing 51 tracks for this "box set." I'm assuming the other 5 records will be just as outstanding as the first 2.

If you are a Tom Petty fan, this is a must have. If you are a collector, this is a must have and if you are wanting to add some great live music recordings to your collection from a great "live" band, this is a must have. :thumb: :thumb:

Laura

Scottdazzle

« Reply #932 on: 3 Jan 2010, 07:06 pm »

JACKSON BROWNE
His first album

I had 4 copies to compare last night. Fortunately the music has aged well and only one of the copies was too noisy. Two were keepers.  The most recent reissue on an Asylum black label sounded a bit grainy and two-dimensional compared to the earlier 3.  I wonder if it was remastered from the cd digital?

pumpkinman

« Reply #933 on: 3 Jan 2010, 07:46 pm »
Dexter Gordon Quartet
Swiss Nights

August 23,1975

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #934 on: 3 Jan 2010, 08:30 pm »
Bill,

Get all of them (it's easy to spend your money :lol:). The Decemberists are one of my favorite bands of the last decade. After seeing them in concert this summer, I am hooked. After THOL, I recommend The Crane Wife (O Valencia! from this album is the 2d song on the CD I sent you), then Picaresque. Their first two albums are Her Majesty and Castaways and Cutouts. All are available in vinyl :thumb: and IMO, all are worth owning.

Happy New Year,

Laura

But what does that say about my taste in music as i liked it so much i sold it to Bill and was happy to get my money back  :lol:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #935 on: 3 Jan 2010, 10:46 pm »
But what does that say about my taste in music as i liked it so much i sold it to Bill and was happy to get my money back  :lol:

that's part of the beauty of music--different strokes for different folks :thumb:

Laura

vinyl_lady

« Reply #936 on: 3 Jan 2010, 10:50 pm »
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - The Live Anthology  Record 3 is flawless and as well done as the first two in this 7 record set. Great live cover of Friend of the Devil, and It's Good to be King is awesome! 8)

Love - Love Lost Classic Arthur Lee from 1971.

The Smiths - The Queen is Dead Rhino did a great job with this. Supervised by Johnny Marr. Dynamic and room filling sound. IMO, the Smiths have never sounded better. :thumb:

Laura
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2010, 01:37 am by vinyl_lady »

pumpkinman

« Reply #937 on: 5 Jan 2010, 10:39 am »
America
Homecoming

White label promo I purchased on Sunday

BikeWNC

« Reply #938 on: 6 Jan 2010, 12:08 am »
Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything?

Airborn

« Reply #939 on: 6 Jan 2010, 12:53 am »
Stephen Stills, Just Roll Tape - April 26, 1968
Sounds like your at the recording session, although there is some slight tape hiss evident.

The Smiths, The Smiths
As vinyl lady Laura said, these 180g Rhino remasters are excellent :thumb: