What LPs have you listened to recently?

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #7680 on: 3 Jan 2017, 01:28 am »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7681 on: 6 Jan 2017, 03:29 pm »

Toni Rambold

« Reply #7682 on: 7 Jan 2017, 10:20 pm »
Ike Quebec: Bossa Nova Soul Samba

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #7683 on: 7 Jan 2017, 11:57 pm »

Classic Records 200g vinyl.

--Jerome

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7684 on: 8 Jan 2017, 12:33 am »

Classic Records 200g vinyl.

--Jerome
That's a very fine performance.  I've got that lp on the original 6 eye Columbia, and it's my fav version.

Toni Rambold

« Reply #7685 on: 11 Jan 2017, 11:35 pm »
Ike Quebec: With A Song In My Heart

S Clark

« Reply #7686 on: 20 Jan 2017, 04:49 am »
Picked up a sealed copy of Cassandra Wilson's "Coming Forth by Day", a tribute lp to Billie Holiday from my local dealer for $15!
Soon as I got home, set up the system, grabbed my listening partner (Rufus, the 18 y.o. jack russell terrier), and got in position for eargasm. 
Damn.  What a disapointment.  I don't think think I have heard a muddier, less detailed mix one anything recorded since shellac 78's.  I didn't get past the first side of a double album.  Taking it back tomorrow for store credit. 

S Clark

« Reply #7687 on: 20 Jan 2017, 04:53 am »
After the horrible Cassandra Wilson lp, I grabbed an old standby that I haven't played for years.

hifi12002

« Reply #7688 on: 23 Jan 2017, 02:11 am »

Toni Rambold

« Reply #7689 on: 24 Jan 2017, 12:56 am »
Leigh: Concertino for Harpsichord & Strings
Pinnock, Braithwaite, LPO

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7690 on: 25 Jan 2017, 01:58 am »

S Clark

« Reply #7691 on: 25 Jan 2017, 04:27 am »
Hampton Hawes Trio  Vol. 1       Contemporary C3505
Excellent piano jazz from 1955. 

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7692 on: 26 Jan 2017, 06:18 am »
Hampton Hawes Trio  Vol. 1       Contemporary C3505
Excellent piano jazz from 1955. 

Hi S Clarke',
What's the lineup on that one?  Looks good.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7693 on: 26 Jan 2017, 06:25 am »

S Clark

« Reply #7694 on: 26 Jan 2017, 07:19 am »
Hi S Clarke',
What's the lineup on that one?  Looks good.
neo
Hampton Hawes on piano, Red Mitchell on bass, and Chuck Thompson on drums.   Red is well known, but the only thing I've found on Thompson is that he played with Dexter G on "Dexter Blows Hot and Cool".  Regardless, it's a tight little trio with nice interplay.  Hawes show style and creativity on the ivory.  Just picked it up with 52 other jazz LP's.  It was one of the first that I pulled out since I'd heard of him, but had never heard his stuff.  I'll be looking for more. 
Oh, yeah, it's an original pressing  :D

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7695 on: 27 Jan 2017, 06:56 am »
Hampton Hawes on piano, Red Mitchell on bass, and Chuck Thompson on drums.   Red is well known, but the only thing I've found on Thompson is that he played with Dexter G on "Dexter Blows Hot and Cool".  Regardless, it's a tight little trio with nice interplay.  Hawes show style and creativity on the ivory.  Just picked it up with 52 other jazz LP's.  It was one of the first that I pulled out since I'd heard of him, but had never heard his stuff.  I'll be looking for more. 
Oh, yeah, it's an original pressing  :D

Hmm,  Wonder if Chuck Thompson is related to Lucky.  Hampton Hawes and Red sounds tasty, have to put that on my list.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7696 on: 27 Jan 2017, 07:09 am »
Picked up a sealed copy of Cassandra Wilson's "Coming Forth by Day", a tribute lp to Billie Holiday from my local dealer for $15!
Soon as I got home, set up the system, grabbed my listening partner (Rufus, the 18 y.o. jack russell terrier), and got in position for eargasm. 
Damn.  What a disapointment.  I don't think think I have heard a muddier, less detailed mix one anything recorded since shellac 78's.  I didn't get past the first side of a double album.  Taking it back tomorrow for store credit. 

Yea, it's a shame.  I find myself listening to more vocals than I used to (which was almost none) and Cassandra can sing.  I guess it's too much to ask for a decent recording.  Where was that done in NYC ?   Kids should be taught how to hear.  Make a good live recording and it gets spooky, like raising the dead.
neo

S Clark

« Reply #7697 on: 27 Jan 2017, 01:55 pm »
Yea, it's a shame.  I find myself listening to more vocals than I used to (which was almost none) and Cassandra can sing.  I guess it's too much to ask for a decent recording.  Where was that done in NYC ?   Kids should be taught how to hear.  Make a good live recording and it gets spooky, like raising the dead.
neo
Sorry Neo, I didn't look, just took it back. Damned shame cause it had lots of good music on it, if only they hadn't screwed the pooch on the recording. 

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7698 on: 28 Jan 2017, 05:11 am »
Nothing to be sorry about.  I really dislike jazz vocals - almost all of them.  In the old days we had guys like Tony Bennett, Frank, Ella and whoever.  They can't seem to get the knack today, or only a few.  How about Pearl Baily Most of them stink and people eat it up.  Go figure. 

There was a club in Philly called Zanzibar.  On wed it used to be Chuck Taylor who brought in guys like Uri Cain, John Swana and friends - real jazz.  Today it's not happening.  Things move on and sometimes get worse.  Same in NY - BS vocals.  Rather listen to Nora or Ravi Shankar.

Chick Corea has some new triple CD -white cover.  Do yourself a favor and pass it up.  Like 3 hrs out of my life for some moments of decency.  I'll never get the 3 hrs back.  To top it off he puts his wife on the last cut - sounds like she's trying out for the Annie casting call.  Really stinks. 

I've only heard a couple of Cassandra's cuts, not bad.  Think I'll head back out to the coast.  Missed my aunt's birthday - 103.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7699 on: 28 Jan 2017, 05:16 pm »
Oh man.  This is it. 

neo

Dig it, real blues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLCgsL-Zw0w

My poor baby.  She'll be allright.  Don't remember the commentary in the background.  Don't need no beetle telling me what's what.  Go back to brit boy.